Herbert as a power amp?

Jonny333

Hi guys,
I've got an unpowered Kemper Profiling Amp that i'd like to play through my cabs so was wondering if I could route it through my Herbert, to use it's power amp section (as the Kemper is only a pre-amp).

Is this possible and if so where would I plug in?

I run my JMP-1 into the switchable loop in but you have to have a cable plugged into the Herbert's input jack to enable output from the amp. I use a 1ft pedal connector for that.

I am going to try exactly the same thing next week: Kemper into my Herbert. But no worries, the Herbert is not going anywhere :)

Ok perfect, so it would go something like:

Guitar > kemper input --- kemper main output > herbert switchable in --- herbert speaker out > cabinet input
(and any cable plugged into the input to make it work)

Also thank for chiming in Peter, did you mean the newer models can't have the power section used separately or that they don't need a cable plugged into the input to make it work?

P.s. My Herbert's not going anywhere either!

I ran my Herbert as a power amp all the time, but it was an earlier version. It was awesome.

The power section of Herbert is nothing short of AMAZING.
Although I haven't ever used my Herbert as a power amp only, remember that the Kemper has power amp AND cab simulations. So, don't forget to disable those when using a power amp and guitar cabinet with the Kemper.
You may want to experiment with switching off/on the power amp simulation. Sometimes it just sounds better with it on, even when an external power amp is in use, like Herbert in this case.
The thing about leaving the power amp sim on in the Kemper, is the you actually have 2 TUBE power amps running, since the Kemper profiles are already including a tube power amp in most cases.
Of course use your ears and decide what sounds best.
Also, LISTEN TO PETER :D

Thanks GtarLover, I was actually thinking of that today. Great point, wasn't sure if I could turn off the 'power amp sim' of the Kemper but will check the manual for how to do it. (P.s. GtarLover, could you just confirm that i've got the signal chain correct?!)

With that consideration in mind though I think i'll look into buying a separate (or retro-fit) solid state power amp so that the direct amp profiles are 100% accurate rather than half herbert (though i'll obviously check that out too!)

Thanks for all the help guys!

As Peter confirmed already, yes that's one way to run it. Remember the cable plugged into the front end of Herbert, earlier model. Maybe Peter could confirm what he means by earlier model. Not sure of the year there.
I have a powerrack Kemper as I mentioned, yet personally I run Matrix power amps for the SS option with other gear, like Axe FX...it's what I'd use if I had a Kemper toaster or non-powered rack.

Good Luck...you have 2 awesome pieces of gear there and will be able to do a lot with them :rock:

So I tested this setup today - Kemper to the serial return of my Herbert Mk1. Didn't have to plug in a cable in the input. I must say it sounded quite good. I had to add some treble and presence on the monitor out.
Maybe I am going to get a SS power amp. Currently looking at an ISP stealth pro.
I'd like to profile my Herbert when we are in the studio in a couple of weeks, so I have a backup solution.

Back