NAD: Lil Fokker

jc986

Hey all,

I've had a Diezel 4x12 for a very long time and have never had a chance to actually play a Diezel head. A trade opportunity came up for a mint condition Lil Fokker so I jumped on it. There's not a lot of clips of the Lil Fokker online, so it was kind of a leap of faith. Most of the clips I've heard were of the VH4 and Herbert. With some sites describing the Lil Fokker's 2nd channel as a blend of the VH4's 3rd channel and the Herbert's 2nd channel I thought I'd go for it.

Pics:

DSC_0417.JPG

DSC_0418.JPG

DSC_0419.JPG

I haven't had a chance to really crank it up too loud yet, but initial impressions are that it sounds nothing like clips of the Herbert or VH4 (and why should it? it's a different amp :LOL: :LOL: ). I think that is somewhat misleading that some stores use that as a description of the lead channel. It is a fantastic sounding amp, but I don't think it sounds very similar to either of those amps, at least from what I've heard from recordings. It definitely has a much less modern voicing than the Herbert and VH4.

To me, it sounds and feels very much like a Marshall on steroids, but with a deeper low end. The clean/crunch channel is very good, and is able to get a pretty wide variety of sounds ranging from Chil Peppers style clean stuff to AC/DC style tones. The lead channel is definitely different than any amp I've ever played. It has a sweet tube sag, but it is tight at the same time. It's hard to describe. Very 3D and organic. This amp has probably the best lead sound I've ever heard. A lot of amps when dialed in for a nice solid rock/metal rhythm tone sound a bit harsh when using the same settings for lead playing, but that doesn't seem to be an issue for the Lil Fokker.

With a boost, the amp does take on a completely different character. It tightens up quite a bit, and does gives a bit more aggression. I'm still playing around with settings, and I'm still going to try it out with my band to see how things change once I'm able to properly crank it, but those are my initial impressions thus far.

Any Lil Fokker users that could share any input as far as settings or tips for a modern metal context would be welcomed. :rock:

EDIT: I had a chance to crank up and it is one of the loudest amps I've ever played through. Everything just sounds meaner and better sounding as it gets louder. I retract my initial comments about not being similar to the Herbert / VH4. Once you give it a little volume I can definitely hear that Diezel sound that they're known for.

I'm looking for some more news about this amp, you could do some sample, bc what is on the yt is rather poor. Imo, the price is the best.

I would be grateful for any recording, news, more users reviews

Back