Intend to buy a D-Moll...Some Questions (THANKS!)

angelspade

Hey guys (Peter D. and D-Moll owners in particular)...I'm hoping some of my fellow Diezel experts can help me out with a few questions as I am about pull the trigger on a D-Moll. I have owned a VH4 in the past, and still own a Herbert. So here goes:

1. I have not had the opportunity to play a D-Moll, but love the Diezel tone in general, and really have been impressed with the videos posted. To my ear, it sounds like a slightly rawer, less refined presentation of the Herbert Tone...With very aggressive upper-mids...While still retaining that BIG bottom end. Generally speaking, is this a fairly accurate assessment?

2. I found that the VH4 needed to be cranked up a bit to reach it's potential (like most amps) and I loved using it live. The Herbert however sounds simply amazing at "living-room" volumes....Similar to the Herbert, I have been told that the D-Moll also sounds GREAT at very low volumes, have you guys found this to be the case with the D-Moll?

3. Is the the mid-cut circuit / feature / tone in the D-Moll identical to that of the Herbert? (I hope so as I love it's tone and functionality in my Herbert)

4. In regards to the midi functions (I am not a midi guy...But would like to use it with the D-Moll) as applied to the D-Moll: Can I set up midi to use the same channels, but with different EQ settings and / or mid-cut? (Can I program 2 versions of the same channel and access via Columbus Foot switch)?

5. I intend to use the D-Moll with one of my V30 loaded 2x12 Mesa cabs at home....Is this a good match for the D-Moll (my Herbert loves this cab)?

Any and all feedback is GREATLY appreciated....THANKS!!!

1. I have not had the opportunity to play a D-Moll, but love the Diezel tone in general, and really have been impressed with the videos posted. To my ear, it sounds like a slightly rawer, less refined presentation of the Herbert Tone...With very aggressive upper-mids...While still retaining that BIG bottom end. Generally speaking, is this a fairly accurate assessment?
Yes

2. I have been told that the D-Moll also sound GREAT at very low volumes, have you guys found this to be the case with the D-Moll?
Yes

3. Is the the mid-cut circuit / feature / tone in the D-Moll identical to that of the Herbert? (I hope so as I love it's tone and functionality in my Herbert)
I have never had them side by side, but played both amps. Seems similar. Regardless the mid cut controls are phenomenal

4.Can I set up midi to use the same channels, but with different EQ settings and / or mid-cut?
No. But the mid cut can be assigned as ON or OFF, as well as a 2nd Master volume for boosts. The 2nd and 3rd channel share eq, but it never bothered me because the mid cut can be dialied strategically to boost and cut mids. But no, the BMT eq is not midi assignable

5. I intend to use the D-Moll with one of my V30 loaded 2x12 Mesa cabs at home....Is this a good match for the D-Moll (my Herbert loves this cab)?
I have a Mesa oversized vertical 2x12 with v30s. It sounds awesome with that cab; I think PD recommends v30s (?)

FWIW, I don't find the DMoll is not necessarily a plug straight in amp (to me, not many are). I typically use an OD as a clean boost and it tightens up the low end and gives an aggressive attack. No boost yields cool tones too, but I guess it's all material/taste dependent. I like having those options and probably wouldn't want an amp that is uber-tight on its own. Probably my forever amp as I have been loving it for a year or 2 now. Best wishes :thumbsup:

angelspade":2hs0kax3 said:

Yes. The D-moll has an awesome midrange. I play it through a Diezel 412 frontloaded cab loaded with 4 Celestion V30. The Cabinet you're using is VERY important for your tone. One Part of your tone is the amplifier, the other your cabinet. choose both wisely to get your tone. Before the Diezel Cab i used a Marshall 4x12 with g12t75. The tone was muddy and got less attack than the diezel cabinet. With the right cabinet the dmoll sounds KILLER.

2. I found that the VH4 needed to be cranked up a bit to reach it's potential (like most amps) and I loved using it live. The Herbert however sounds simply amazing at "living-room" volumes....Similar to the Herbert, I have been told that the D-Moll also sounds GREAT at very low volumes, have you guys found this to be the case with the D-Moll?

Yes.

i think in general its the same featur.

4. In regards to the midi functions (I am not a midi guy...But would like to use it with the D-Moll) as applied to the D-Moll: Can I set up midi to use the same channels, but with different EQ settings and / or mid-cut? (Can I program 2 versions of the same channel and access via Columbus Foot switch)?

no eq settings, you can store:
Mid cut on/off (Mid cut with intensity = 0 -> 3rd Master)
master 1 / 2
Loop on/off

Dmoll + V30 cab = awesome

I hope this is a help. :)

crankyrayhanky":3vlqgi60 said:
nice; welcome to the party!

Thanks Man....I have written detailed reviews of the Herbert and VH4, and I am really looking forward to getting to know the D-Moll and posting my experience with it. Generally speaking I am a fan of the Diezel tone and feel. I have always favored the Herbert, but wanted it to be slightly "rawer" while still maintain the low-mid "size", and the Diezel mid-cut feature (which I adore). I have high hopes for the D-Moll.

Back