Fractal Ax FX for effects on Diezel?

JoshXR

Hello everyone,

Does anyone here use a Fractal Ax FX for their effects on their Diezel amp? I really enjoy all of the effects sounds I've heard from them, but will not sacrifice my VH4 tone...FOR ANYTHING :rock:

But I was thinking, especially with the new FX 8 (http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/m ... esheet.pdf) coming out, maybe I could ditch my pedalboard and get one of these.

Does anyone have any experience in using this type of stuff? Is it hard to figure out/set up?

I did. I tried. In front. In loop. 4CM.

The more I played my Diezels, the less I found I wanted or needed any FX.

Standard DD, clean boost, 'verb in the loop, and that's about it.

Uncle Mo

Agreed with everyone up top. I tried 4cm, and in the loop with my VH4 (4CM was for pitch shifter/wah effects upfront and delays/time based fx in the loop) unity in and out all set correctly. Even though the Diezel's loop is incredible running through the Axe-Fx II just took away some of the oomph and black magic that the VH4 has. Didn't seem to have the same problems with my Carol-Ann Triptik. Running an MXR carbon copy in the loop now and that seems to be working very well.

Ventura":1zvefwww said:

Uncle Mo

Same for me.
I have a few more effects for covers, but all analog expect Reverb

JoshXR":2dkcxlnb said:
Meaning the effects out front, fed into the amp, don't sound too hot?
That's not necessarily what he's saying.

The 4 cable method is a process used with a multi FX device that combines effects traditionally used in front of an amp (before the preamp) like distortion, boost, and wah, with effects traditionally placed in the effects loop, like delay, chorus, phaser, reverb, (i.e. time based effects). To do this, the chain goes:

Guitar --> EFX processor input --> EFX processor output --> amp front input --> amp loop send --> EFX processor effects loop input --> EFX processor effects loop output --> amp loop return.

The EFX processor automatically divides up the effects and places them either before the amp's preamp or in the loop. Some EFX processors allow you to move the effects around, to experiment with effects in either position.

Ventura":pc0cgftg said:

Uncle Mo
WTF!

Listen bitch boy. You don't even know how to play guitar.

You're just a old fat hoarder.

Post a clip you lazy clown.

I assume most of these responses are for the previous Fractal stuff, and not the new FX8?
If so, I have heard that the previous Fractal stuff with 4cm doesn't work well with any amp.
I would hope the fx8 improved on this...at least as an in the loop fx unit and I would keep my OD pedal. Probably overkill though, I'll just roll with a pedal or 2 in the loop if needed.

I've used the Axe FX Ultra in the loop of my Herbert. Worked great. Still kept my wah and tuner out front. The great thing about the Diezel is it's midi capable, so the Axe and Herbert channels can be switched with a midi foot controller. When used this way, it's VERY powerful...I need options when playing covers. Plus I had the Ultra, so I wasn't buying anything new for this purpose.

That said, 4CM is not ideal as others have also mentioned. There have been improvements in the later model Fractal gear, yet I certainly wouldn't be buying a $2200 unit to get a few effects. So, if you need more than just the time based effects that work well in the loop, you might consider other options. I don't have any experience with the FX8, it's very new. Could be a good solution especially if you don't already have a foot controller.

tried the 4cm with a vew different units and hated it. In the end i sold everything, im running a delay in the loop and a reverb(wich i never turn on).

Back