LIL FOKKER HELP NEEDED!

ubermetaldood

Banned
I got a Lil Fokker in trade and when I got home, I plugged it in and played for about 20 minutes. Everything seemed fine. Late this evening, I plugged in and played the gain channel for about 45 minutes, then switched to the clean channel and no sound. I turned the amp off and on, but still no sound. I unplugged the foot switch and tried the manual switch, still no sound. Turned the amp off and on again, plugging straight into the amp without my pedal board, still no sound. The clean channel is dead.

There were no noises or anything odd at all. It just stopped working. I wiggled the preamp tubes back into place to make sure they were seated correctly, still no sound. What could the problem be? I haven't replaced any preamp tubes, but wouldn't a bad preamp tube on the clean channel cause problems with the dirty channel? If I replace the preamp tubes and it still doesn't work, what could the problem be then?

Think the website needs the preamp positions to be revised for the new amps, otherwise i'd first say to identify a working preamp tube from Ch2 and use it as a test tube.

http://diezel.typo3.inpublica.de/tech-corner.3.0.html

That said, there doesn't seem to be a designated preamp tube for the clean channel on any of the Diezel amps. It appears to be shared. I figure if that tube was faulty, it might also affect Ch2 performance which sounds to be working correctly.

Just thinking out loud here of course. Tube & fuse faults are nearly always the issue.

I haven't swapped preamp tubes, but I figured it would affect channel 2 if it was a preamp tube. If it was a fuse then wouldn't it not even function? It's just weird that the clean channel died quietly and without warning. I sure hope it's a tube or I'm screwed. I'll try new tubes first thing after work and let you guys know if it works.

OK, so I turned on the amp when I got home and it was working. I played it for about 5 min, then I left the Fokker on standby for an hour and came back to play for another 5 min. Last night I was playing for nearly an hour on the gain channel, so I left it a while to see if the problem would recur. So far it hasn't. I'm going to put an hour or so on it later when things settle down.

What concerns me is how the clean channel just died so quietly without any indication. Usually if there is a problem with the tubes, there is noise or something. There was no noise, no greater or less intensity of the preamp tube light, nothing at all to indicate there was a problem. I didn't even know the clean channel died until I tried switching to it. I tried turning the amp off/on twice and still no sound whatsoever from the clean channel. It was very odd, but starting to worry me a bit more now because it seems like I may never know when it will happen. All I can do is play and see if it happens again. I definitely can't take the amp on a gig or something until I figure this out though. Well, we'll see.

Back