FIRING UP A HERBERT AFTER NINE MONTHS DOWN TIME

So yea, lotta s--t being a new Dad, new town, problems with the ol' wife-a-rooney. Led me to just play my Dad's Alvarez acoustic for almost the last year, my Strat and Herbert and Diezel 4x12 and T.C. Electronic G-System sat like untouched sugar. Make that GOLD, heheh. So I fire up the amp and it sounds as good as ever even without any effects and not having played electric for almost a year, but boy oh boy, that DUST SMELL (!)

Is it safe to run the amp with that dust smell or is there a procedure I can do without having it serviced or taking it apart even at a minimal level? I was thinking of a can of compressed air, just blasting the shit out of the tubes? Good idea? Bad? Just play it til' the dust burns off or the tubes burn out and have it retubed? The amp has had home-only light use for the first little while I got it (November 2013). Different friends have different opinions on this but they are either Marshall or Mesa owners so I'm leery of advice from such cheapskates with average taste in gear. Gotta protect the investment, eh boys? ;-)

Positive vibes from Hollywood, California to YOUR town!

It's fine, just use it. The dust smell will go away very quickly. If it bothers you just take the back panel off and reach in with a slightly moist rag and wipe off the tubes. But really, it's fine.

Back