So I bought a Hagen

Whatamada

And I love it!
As I already own a Herbert I wanted to try them simultaneously, to have something to compare with and to have a reference sound.
Have to say, the Hagen killed it!
A rich , full sound but still that Diezel tone. I found the midrange of the Hagen to be more clear and pushed and the Herbert actually lacking that sweet and meaty midrange!

My thoughts on it exactly it's very herbert with a more aggressive midrange. Definitely more suited to modern guitar sounds in my opinion because of where it sits. Only reason I liked the vh4 better, it plays nicer with other amps. If you're going balls out, it's definitely the go to Diezel. Just my opinion though.

Wanted to try a Hagen too, but I just can't find one anywhere........used that is. From the clips I have heard, it was is my favorite Diezel. An aggressive midrange with a more rounded, less dry sound like other Diezels. Soon I will be giving the Herbert a try though, will be trying that against a Twin Jet and Mark V.

tarices22":zye52dl8 said:
Congrats! Interesting to hear your comparative comments. What kind of cab are you playing through?

I was playing through the front loaded K100. Didn't bother to try the v30 one at the store since I already own a 100 cab.

I have always love my Herbert for the luscious bottom end and and thump but still beeing clear and modern sounding. But when I compared to the Hagen it sounded a little bit like the eq spectrum was like a smiley face. All bass and treble, but no real midrange.
The Hagen on the other hand delivered on all of these aspects. Awesome amp.

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":1zuosk70 said:
My thoughts on it exactly it's very herbert with a more aggressive midrange. Definitely more suited to modern guitar sounds in my opinion because of where it sits. Only reason I liked the vh4 better, it plays nicer with other amps. If you're going balls out, it's definitely the go to Diezel. Just my opinion though.

The VH4 was actually my first Diezel :)
I sold it to try the Herbert many years ago , didn't have the opportunity to try then buy back then so had to sell the 4.

I've been very happy with my Herbert, didn't miss the VH4 at all for many years, but the Hagen remind me of it so maybe it's time to let the Herbert go for a VH4 again :)

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":1gk18w1l said:
Definitely more suited to modern guitar sounds in my opinion because of where it sits.

I'm a classic rock guy and Hagen is the best I've played in years, I use a 1960A and a les paul, it'll ACDC all day long, stunning and super versatile amp.

scruffydoo":27k12wjb said:
Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":27k12wjb said:
Definitely more suited to modern guitar sounds in my opinion because of where it sits.

I'm a classic rock guy and Hagen is the best I've played in years, I use a 1960A and a les paul, it'll ACDC all day long, stunning and super versatile amp.

I´m mostly into the sevenstringed stuff when I play with my band, but when I play for myself and just jam out I like to play more classic rock and ballady stuff. I gotta say, channel 1 and 2 can play anything I throw at it. The versatility of this amp is like nothing I´ve played before....and I own the Herbert and have owned the VH4 :D

Right now I'm looking into new preamp tubes to get the most warm, clear and least fizzy sound I can get.
Any tips?

scruffydoo":316h2vy0 said:
Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":316h2vy0 said:

Not saying it wouldn't because I have an open mind, but I would definitely have to hear that. It's just waaaay too fat in the mids/lows to my ear to get those sounds going correctly. Maybe a fair resemblance but not exactly it. Not SAYIN there's anything wrong with that but a true classic Marshall sound it is not. I'm a MEGA huge Diezel fan but they can't do everything like most people go on about a fair/unique resemblance yes. But they do sound great doing it and they do more then most.

P.S. Just my honest assessment, I still think they're the top of the heap but they're not limitless.

moltenmetalburn":11ciia0w said:
was just playing my hagen, love this thing. kills for the lower tunings. dark and refined.

Oh, absolutely! I love how I can go from playing single string B stuff to big chords and the transition is freakishly smooth! :rock:

Hi all,

I just placed my order for Hagen (with EL34) from Musik Produktiv. I have already VH2 and wanted to expand my Diezel sound palette. Herbert MK III was the other candidate and would have been fantastic amp, maybe my 'next next' D will be Herbert :)

I'm in the market for a Diezel again, I used to own a Herbert and sold it because it didn't work for me. I liked the overall tone, and LOVED how much air it moved but I couldn't get along with the mid range weather the "Mid cut" was on or off or how it was dialed.

So right now for me it's between the VH4 or the Hagen, I prefer how the Hagen has sounded in some demo clips, I'd love to check one out in person, being in Ontario Canada I usually have to just bite the bullet.

Thanks for the review.

cheers.

Whatamada":3lg5crtn said:
And I love it!
As I already own a Herbert I wanted to try them simultaneously, to have something to compare with and to have a reference sound.
Have to say, the Hagen killed it!
A rich , full sound but still that Diezel tone. I found the midrange of the Hagen to be more clear and pushed and the Herbert actually lacking that sweet and meaty midrange!
:rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: MEGA CONGRATZ :rawk: :rawk: :rawk: :rawk:

You knew I'd show up for this!! Crank the Hagen and listen to the 3D magic happen... Fucking righteously amazing amp :rock: :rock: :rock:

Unkle Mo

Herbert started me on my path with Peter and his amazing amps.
Been through a few including the VH4S and Einstein...yet they have moved on.
I still have Herbert and grabbed myself the Hagen as soon as it came out.

Directions should read:
For best results use with Diezel cabs, 1 cab with K100's and 1 cab with V30's, in a full stack

2 amps = 2 stacks = Tonal nirvana :D

Congrats...I'll echo Uncle Mo here, enjoy :thumbsup:

TTV":yrqmnjj4 said:
Hi all,

I just placed my order for Hagen (with EL34) from Musik Produktiv. I have already VH2 and wanted to expand my Diezel sound palette. Herbert MK III was the other candidate and would have been fantastic amp, maybe my 'next next' D will be Herbert :)

Herr Hagen came and went back, not for me :no: For cleans its equally superior as VH2/4 channel 1.For low gain crunch its close to VH2, especially when dialed from VH2.ch2. For high gain distortions, hmm, this was the first priority for me with high expectations. Hagen has thinner (maybe modern?) sound compared to VH2/4 (may originate also from EL34 in Hagen vs. KT77 in VH2/4). I tried and tried to find the perfect combinations of preamp gain, tonestack and poweramp controls, but it was always lacking something. I plugged back and forth between Hagen and VH2 to make the difference such that Hagen would give me something extra. He failed to convince me against VH2. Hagen channel 4 was even more difficult, the characteristic tone and distortion were not to my ears, even I really tried to finetune it. No go, Hagen was returned to store.

There is something common in VH2/4 and Hagen; they are all extremely sensitive to any noise from the input jack. If I play with my pedalboard (active or bypassed), the power supply is somehow coupled to the input and greatly amplified with higher gains. Its not completely about the ground loops or similar, since I have several other amps in the same room and mains, and those are much less sensitive to this power supply noise. Luckily my favorite sound from VH2 comes without any pedals, so I can play via direct cable connection and minimal noise :)

I'm looking forward the new lunchbox Diezel and VHX, otherwise I'm happy with my VH2 :thumbsup:

DiezelMonster":s128m71f said:
I'm in the market for a Diezel again, I used to own a Herbert and sold it because it didn't work for me. I liked the overall tone, and LOVED how much air it moved but I couldn't get along with the mid range weather the "Mid cut" was on or off or how it was dialed.

So right now for me it's between the VH4 or the Hagen, I prefer how the Hagen has sounded in some demo clips, I'd love to check one out in person, being in Ontario Canada I usually have to just bite the bullet.

Thanks for the review.

cheers.
Maybe touch base with Andy Cherna of Diffusion Audio - he's close by, and a terrific dude to work with. Let him know Mo referred you. You can find his website on line, and he's also on FB same name.

Peace,
Unkle Mo

Oh, and I've had all Diezels. VH4 is a staple in the arsenal. But my fave most played Diezels are the D-Moll and the Hagen. YMMV, but between those two amps? I go most places I need to.

Back