Old Diezel cab design vs. new Diezel cab design.

revivethevivid

Ok, so I just bought a used Diezel RL cab with the custom eminence speakers to go with my vh4s. Im really liking the way the cleans sound, but not as happy with the other 3 channels. I'm shooting for rich/warm/soggy but clear/ambient clean sounds, but still want the bite, sparkle, and punch channels 2, 3(especially 3!!), and 4 have to offer. So I am considering swapping 2(x-pattern) or all 4 of the speakers with v30's. My question is whats the design difference between the Custom Eminence loaded cab and the new v30's loaded cab, i.e. different wood, density, etc? And if so how much of a difference do those factors make? Should I just sell the older model cab and buy the newer one, or try swapping out speakers first? If you could, Diezel engineers and users, whats your most unbias as well as biased opinion? ;) I've google searched the internet for hours and found nothing that addresses this. Thanks all!

Nick

There is in fact tons of info on this subject here in this forum on RT. But basically, the Eminence speakers are regarded as junk for the most part. IIRC they are very dark sounding. Supposedly the US made cabs were produced by a cab builder in either NY or CA, I don't remember, all done by the old US Diezel distributor. Supposedly Diezel in Germany has nothing to do with these US cabs. THey are decent cabs though and I believe were made by the same outfit that was making cabs for Bogner. THe new German made cabs are pretty awesome though, they are a newer design and sound fantastic, my two new Diezel cabs are the best cabs I've owned so far.

@peter, haha, yea sorry just trying to increase my odds of a reply/info, plus I'm a little excited about it all, I'm still in my honeymoon phase with Diezel, please forgive :).

@rjf thanks for reply, I have found and read about the topics about the eminence customs, and they are very dark. For my clean sounds they are gorgeous though, rich, warm, juicy. I'm just bumming about the other 3 channels. I meant as far as the actual cab design, and cab designs in general, whether Diezel or Marshall or whatever, I have yet to find much info. But I know that dimensions, wood type, etc. effect the overall sound. And so that's more or less what I was asking about. Hope that clarifies, and if you know of a good resource about that I would appreciate it as well. Thanks again,

Nick

There's no doubt the speakers you put in ANY cab will greatly impact the tone that comes out.
That said, the newer Diezel cabs are FABULOUS!! The inner workings are superior, baffling and the general construction is killer.
I have V30's AND K100's in my Diezel cabs and couldn't be happier. The combo in a full stack is just blissful.

I have also had a couple "older"Diezel cabs, and while that aren't poor by any means ( It think the stand up very well), the new cabs are definitely superior.
Search YouTube because Peter S did a video about the new cabs at one point. Speaking about new construction and the inner workings.

Good Luck, welcome to Diezel...it's hard to go back once you've seen the light :)

Thanks gtar lover! I didn't have any luck finding the video, but I did find this old thread on rig-talk posted below.

rjtf you were right, there is info on it, not sure why it didn't pop up in my searches before, the funnier thing is the topic headline is almost identical :doh: :doh:

Here's the link for future reference:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51705

I may go ahead and ditch the American made cab, save my milk money and purchase the newer Diezel cab. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Nick

Back