Which One!

cabbageclutcher

Hey guys...I'll keep this as brief as possible. If this subject has been covered previously, please direct me with a link.
I am being transferred to a remote location in Northern Canada that is not serviced by Highways...air only, for the next 3 to 5 years. I'm only allowed a couple guitars, one head, one cab and accessories. I have read quite a few posts on many Websites about Diezels, but they usually devolve into "You don't know what your talking about!" pissing matches or go way off topic. There are NO dealers even remotely close to my current location for high end gear so test driving amps is not an option. Please advise on which Diezel or ???? head and cab, that covers 70's through Modern Metal convincingly, thanks.

VH4.

Get a good cab with V30's and G12T75's...and a midi foot controller...and you're good to go.

I'd SERIOUSLY consider a full tube replacement with identically rated power tubes so rebias isn't required.

einstein and vh4 have the most marshall, but dont expect a marshall.

you wont like herbert and will find hagen too dark if mashall is the goal. the VH4 is pretty much the marshall eater though the einstein is another familiar flavor.

~Abstract~":239j2l28 said:
VH4.

Get a good cab with V30's and G12T75's...and a midi foot controller...and you're good to go.

I'd SERIOUSLY consider a full tube replacement with identically rated power tubes so rebias isn't required.

I planned on purchasing new...I'm guessing you would re-tube if used, correct?

cabbageclutcher":1931eod5 said:
~Abstract~":1931eod5 said:
VH4.

I planned on purchasing new...I'm guessing you would re-tube if used, correct?

If you're 100% comfortable rebiasing...just get a backup set.

Personally, I'd still buy 8 matched power tubes and another set of pre's...and maybe a couple fuses.

That way if a tube fails 2 years in...you can replace it easily yourself. Keep/sell the original powers.

If you're after the Diezel tone you can't go wrong with any amp.
But If I'm reading the situation right it's more of what you need the amp for, right? How many channels do you need Head or combo?

I've owned the VH4, Herbert and Hagen. I still have the Herbert and Hagen in my line-up, but if I could only chose one it would the Hagen.
It's got modern voicing like the Herbert but four individual channels that you can play with instead of three. I've played them both side by side for some time now and I feel that I can do more with my Hagen than my Herbert (although awesome).

So take some time to decide what you need and what you want :)

Happy hunting , whatever you decide to go for you will be a happy hunter :)

I like my VH4 very much.
Yesterday I was jamming on channel two for about an hour, then I switched to channel 3 for about 30 minutes, then channel 4 for about an hour, and then switched to channel 1 for about another hour, non stop. Hands cramped and everything, but I kept going.

So much fun exploring every imaginative creativity I get with this thing. Any little passage I try out can easily lead to a full quality song. Very good amplifier.

Back