Hagen settings

Whatamada

Hey guys!

I bought my Hagen a couple of weeks ago and I find myself still tweaking the eq :)
I find that the Hagen is so diverse that finding a sweet spot in a specific style is a bit more challenging than my Herbert , which is land of auto-good.
But when I fire up my Hagen I just feel there's so much more tone and actual sound than my Herbert.

So I want to know how you guys set the eq , deep and presence on your Hagen. And volumes for that matter :yes:

Cheers guys!

I liked my Hagen for a more classic voiced sound with deep on 9 o'clock and presence on 12 to get a nice slightly aggressive sound. For the channel-EQ I always moved around 12 o clock. Perfect voicings on the channels there, no need for extreme settings unless you want drastic changes. ( I lowered treble on the cleanchannel for the use of pedals for example...)

Gutmann":1mc793ci said:
I liked my Hagen for a more classic voiced sound with deep on 9 o'clock and presence on 12 to get a nice slightly aggressive sound. For the channel-EQ I always moved around 12 o clock. Perfect voicings on the channels there, no need for extreme settings unless you want drastic changes. ( I lowered treble on the cleanchannel for the use of pedals for example...)

I find myself around noon as well on almost all channels.
The presence and deep are a different story. The change is so drastic that I can't really decide where I want it :D

Personally it depends on whether I play for myself or at rehearsal.

In band context I like to have deep around noon and presence maybe a little bit more. I play mostly channels 1 and 4 (gain at around 12h) and there the bass is quite low, whereas middles are around 14h and highs at around 17h.

When I am alone and no other instrument is breaking my balls :D I enhance the deep knob and lower the presence.

Also very important and up to personal taste, is whether one prefers to push rather the power section or preamp. With high volume on master and low volume on channel the amp sounds quite different than in the opposite way.

I play over a aluma deathbar pickup (8string). Box is 4x12 with frontloaded v30 also from Diezel. Woods in the guitar are swamp ash for body, rosewood for neck and ebony for fretboard.

It makes me feel good when the amp roars, every note jumps in my face and tries to make a hole in my head and stomach :rock:

Ive been having the same issue, anp sounds great in a bunch of different settings, cant decide which is best or if i even like the EQ structure. I tweak a lot and keep winding up in different places.

I have the FL12K100 from Diezel, which I really like.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play with the band yet, I guess I'll find my sweet spot then.

Last time out I had a Mayones Setius 7 with Lundgren M7's , and I think that might have been a bad combo. Seems like the pickups made the preamp distort almost. My JP7 with the dimarzio liquifire seemed like a better fit.

moltenmetalburn":2poevb4w said:
Ive been having the same issue, anp sounds great in a bunch of different settings, cant decide which is best or if i even like the EQ structure. I tweak a lot and keep winding up in different places.

I find that. My ears adjust to a sound pretty quickly and I question whether it sounds decent or not, especially when I'm at home and not mixing it with a band.

One of the reasons I didn't gel with the axe fx I think. Scrolling through patches and presets was so sonically varied that I started questioning what sounded good. I think with a comparatively basic tube amp, you can at least start at noon again and tweak from there, knowing you haven't taken out any important frequencies.

The power section controls on the diezels are really important aren't they. The presence and depth pretty much set the character of the amp.

JimmyBlind":1ggulows said:
moltenmetalburn":1ggulows said:

The power section controls on the diezels are really important aren't they. The presence and depth pretty much set the character of the amp.

This. The presence is a real game changer on the Diezel and feel especially with the Hagen.
That's the hardest part I think in finding " your" sound.

Whenever I feel like I am getting ear fatigue or questioning what might sound good I always turn everything to noon and adjust again from there. It always sound good and balanced at 12 o'clock. Adjust from there if needed. It works for me anyway.

+1 on getting the presence knob right above all else. Once I figured that out I started low and just kept turning up until sounded right. Landed at about 2:30; pretty bright which is how I like it. Been keeping the deep knob low - usually around 10:00.

Cab is a port city 2x12 os with v30s.

Yeah, I hear ya! That's my main question right now, figuring out where I like the presence and deep knob.

I never had these issues with my Herbert , but the Hagen is a lot of fun!

Back