VH4 Lacking in punch/clarity - Issues - With photos

Axegrinderturbo

Hi,

I've had my VH4 from new, originally come with ruby El34's I believe, and I bought it direct from James at Diezel UK - serial no 060686.

I recently had a problem with my amp as I purchased a full set of new pre amp and power amp valves however when I put them into the amp and biased it there was hardly any volume.

The valves I currently have in the amp are:

KT77/JJ-TESLA (JJ-Tesla)

ECC83/ECC83S/JJ-TESLA-CRYO (JJ-Tesla Cryo ) V3-V7
ECC83/ECC83-S-GROOVE TUBES SUPER PREMIUM-BAL (Groove Tubes Super Premium
Burst Tested) V1-V2

I contacted Peter and dealt with James (Diezel UK) and I left the amp with him at a local guitar show. James had a look at the amp and returned for me, he advised everything was fine with the amp when he posted it and all he needed to do was adjust one of the pre amp socket pins as it wasn't connecting correctly. The customer service is as excellent as ever however when I got the amp back it was still the same as it was with very minimal volume.

I had a further look at the amp and there seemed to be what looked like a small piece of plastic in one of the pre amp sockets!!!! Very strange and I've no idea how this could get in there. I can't see anything broken when looking inside the amp and it has been fully flight cased since I have owned it and when in transit. I picked it out and re inserted the valves and the amp was working at full volume.

I've been using the amp for a couple of months now and I just don't think the amp sounds as good as it should. This may sound strange but I have a dual rec, jsx and 5150 in our rehearsal room and they seem to have more low end punch, clarity and tightness.

I'm not saying I prefer these amps at all, don't judge me!!! Ha. However I know that my amp isn't sounding as good as it should. I am going to buy a new set of power tubes as, at the moment, I'm not enjoying the JJ KT77, I may get a set of EL34's or even some 6L6's as I'm hoping it's simply bad valves.

Ideally I would like to send the amp back to Germany to get the once over and make sure it's in perfect working order however I'm not sure what the cost will be for this.

I have attached images from inside the amp if anyone can see anything that may be amiss or if there any ideas what a potential issue may be. Other than valves I'm unsure what the reason for the lacking sound may be? All of the valve sockets look fine.

Hopefully it is just the valves however I may have to email Peter direct.

Many thanks.

Stu

Thanks for the pictures but they have no sound :)

The JJ preamp tubes are for hifi applications.
Good tubes but not for guitar amps and heavy music.

Send me an email to peterdiezel (at) diezelamplification (dot) com
and send the amp to me.

Thanks,
Peter

Ha, I thought the same. Also the green wire by that cable on the side is a bit tight.

Peter, I sent an email over a few days ago. Have you received it??

Thanks

Peter,
You are such a helpful guy and you provide a very high quality customer service which is not the case of the others.
God bless you!!!
I'm really thinking in getting a Herbert.

Back