Diezel D-Moll Settings recommendations?

dirtyfunkg

I just got a D-Moll and have only had a little bit of time to play with it, but I'm wondering if I can get a few pointers on settings to get it where I want it to be.

First off, the cleans are awesome, so I have no complaints there whatsoever. My curiosity is with channels 2 and 3. They both sound very saturated, even with the gain knobs at 9:00. Is there any way to dial it back and make it "roar" instead of "scream" so to speak? I've been running with the treble around 11:00, the mid and low up to about 2-3:00, and the presence at 11:00 for the time being.

Also, is it me, or does the mid-cut act as a mid boost of sorts if you use the intensity all the way down, and the level up a bit?

I would love some advice. Love the amp so far. Cuts very well.

Thanks.

edit: forgot to mention, I am running it at 16 ohms through a VHT FB412 cab with X pattern G12K100 and Eminence P50E's

My main advice would be to tinker more with the master controls. What I've learned over time is that the Diezel power amps kinda set the charachter of the whole head. Prolly why Diezel hasn't headed down the tube preamp route with a lot of interest. Their power amps are so good.

I used to think my first VH4 was kinda HiFi, but the power section really has all that depth, body, snarl and woof to it that changes at different volumes and environments. I only really noticed that with the KT77 loaded power amp actually... My 2nd VH4. Whether that's because it's a more balanced tube I dunno, but my first VH4, before sale, had a generic EL34 set and they were pretty aggressive comparatively. I didn't really appreciate how the pre/power sections worked with one another.

It's weird. You can crank the master and it changes the natural compression, balanced by the depth and presence, in different environments to subjective taste. Even moving the same rig and settings into a different environment changes the response. Our last place was really modern and acoustically designed and I could really crank the depth without it getting too whoofy and boomy. Now we're in a two-up-two-down Victorian terraced house and I have to dial that shit back to stop my neighbours shitting themselves involuntarily.

I think that's cool tho, and why I'll always dig valve amps and cabs. Makes it more of a dynamic instrument rather than just a broadcasting tool for my guitar.
Can't really comment on the cab and speaker matching. Good luck with that! :) Diezels are voiced for use with V30s (I think). If you want to hear the true character of the amp, they're prolly the preferred speaker to demo with. From my experience, front loaded cabs are tighter and contained. Rear loaded tend to be more open. I figure that if sound wants to project, it wants to push back against something and some of the natural vibration and frequency is absorbed by the cab. And vice versa.

I digress. If you can't get the amp to decompress to your liking with the gain, EQ and master controls then theres only so much you can do with the stock setup I think. Maybe look at some characteristic boost pedals or the detox EQ or something? The Dmoll isn't an overly open voiced amp from what I've heard. It's pretty gnarly, creamy and modern. The cleans are wicked on that amp tho, agreed.

If you can take the amp to different environments and with different speakers and toy extremely with the master settings without causing the general public to defecate impromtualy, it'll teach you more about the amp's range and whether it's capable of delivering the tones you're after.

Hope that helps. That took me 34 fucking minutes of my, arguably, precious life to write some subjective bullshit to someone I don't know, somewhere else in the world that I'll never meet. But we own Diezels. So that makes us fucking cool. :)

JimmyBlind":2z26a9e9 said:
My main advice would be to tinker more with the master controls. What I've learned over time is that the Diezel power amps kinda set the charachter of the whole head. Prolly why Diezel hasn't headed down the tube preamp route with a lot of interest. Their power amps are so good.

I used to think my first VH4 was kinda HiFi, but the power section really has all that depth, body, snarl and woof to it that changes at different volumes and environments. I only really noticed that with the KT77 loaded power amp actually... My 2nd VH4. Whether that's because it's a more balanced tube I dunno, but my first VH4, before sale, had a generic EL34 set and they were pretty aggressive comparatively. I didn't really appreciate how the pre/power sections worked with one another.

It's weird. You can crank the master and it changes the natural compression, balanced by the depth and presence, in different environments to subjective taste. Even moving the same rig and settings into a different environment changes the response. Our last place was really modern and acoustically designed and I could really crank the depth without it getting too whoofy and boomy. Now we're in a two-up-two-down Victorian terraced house and I have to dial that shit back to stop my neighbours shitting themselves involuntarily.

I think that's cool tho, and why I'll always dig valve amps and cabs. Makes it more of a dynamic instrument rather than just a broadcasting tool for my guitar.
Can't really comment on the cab and speaker matching. Good luck with that! :) Diezels are voiced for use with V30s (I think). If you want to hear the true character of the amp, they're prolly the preferred speaker to demo with. From my experience, front loaded cabs are tighter and contained. Rear loaded tend to be more open. I figure that if sound wants to project, it wants to push back against something and some of the natural vibration and frequency is absorbed by the cab. And vice versa.

I digress. If you can't get the amp to decompress to your liking with the gain, EQ and master controls then theres only so much you can do with the stock setup I think. Maybe look at some characteristic boost pedals or the detox EQ or something? The Dmoll isn't an overly open voiced amp from what I've heard. It's pretty gnarly, creamy and modern. The cleans are wicked on that amp tho, agreed.

If you can take the amp to different environments and with different speakers and toy extremely with the master settings without causing the general public to defecate impromtualy, it'll teach you more about the amp's range and whether it's capable of delivering the tones you're after.

Hope that helps. That took me 34 fucking minutes of my, arguably, precious life to write some subjective bullshit to someone I don't know, somewhere else in the world that I'll never meet. But we own Diezels. So that makes us fucking cool. :)

I always wanted to be cool! That statement made me smile.

Seriously, though, thank you! I didn't really think to play as much with the master side. I'm coming from playing Pittbulls, a Sig:X, and a Roadster. I totally forgot about the whole Fryette master amp volume (as opposed to channel master) at 2:00 trick, but that would make sense with the Diezel. I'll try different settings and report back.

dirtyfunkg":2q24b6qg said:
JimmyBlind":2q24b6qg said:

I always wanted to be cool! That statement made me smile.

Seriously, though, thank you! I didn't really think to play as much with the master side. I'm coming from playing Pittbulls, a Sig:X, and a Roadster. I totally forgot about the whole Fryette master amp volume (as opposed to channel master) at 2:00 trick, but that would make sense with the Diezel. I'll try different settings and report back.

I can relate to this quite a bit.
I use to be a recto kinda guy, I thought that was the masterplan in sound.
But having owned both Mesas and Diezels (VH4, Herbert, Hagen) it was just recently with my purchase of the Hagen that I realized just how much the presence/deep actually effect the sound! It can make or break a sound and make the amp a completely different.
Haven´t tried the D-moll so I´m looking forward to reading your report. :yes:

And thanks for the great read JimmyBlind! :thumbsup:

Speakers, pickups etc to fine tune. If I notice my amp is too hot then I need lower output pickups. I do recommend v30s. I have a vht fb 212 and it is amazing with v30s. Before going to these lengths play with the settings... Use your ears not your eyes when dialing the amp in. Also, try lower presence and gain.

Ive never played dmoll though. Best of luck!

I've had the same "problem". At first I changed pickups. Then I bought a Diezel FL V30 box.
But the one and only thing that was helpfull is a Tubescreamer 808.
Try original or a clone and you'll hrear IT :)

P.S. I was a tubescreamer hater but after 20 years of playing tube amps I changed my opinion :)

P.S.2: when you plug an 808, put the gain on zero and play with tone and volume.

P.S.3: chanel volume should be more or less on 12 o'clok. also Presence and Deep. I would probably recommend to put Bass Mid Trebble also on 12 on the beginning.

P.S.4: You'll need a noise gate in the loop pobably because of another gain stage

Back