TS type or other "boost" pedals for Diezel's?

CCT

Hey guys,

I'm interested to see what the Diezel brain trust uses and why, in regards to front end boost pedals. Other than a short test with the TS mini with a couple of my other heads, I've never used a TS type pedal :LOL: :LOL:

Of course there are tons of TS types out there and plenty of other gain boosting types as well...I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one :yes: :thumbsup:

Oh yeah...I've got a DMoll :D :rock:

Thanks,

Craig

I LOVED my OD808...

I used it in front of all of my high gain amps.

I got my first Diezel...a Herbert...and automatically added it to my signal chain.

Unnecessary.

Years later I sold the Herbert and got some VH4's.

Still unnecessary.

These amps are perfect. They don't benefit from a boost.
I've got a Boss SD-1 on the way...but I can't imagine that it'll be any different.

Don't really boost my Herbert normally the 2+ has all the gain and EQ control I need and 3 is just insane - love it :D

The 2- does sound good with a little extra omph sometimes, in that case I stick a Boss SD1 in front of it. More just for a different sound that anything else. Sort of like boosting a 2203, with way more bottom end, kinda cool.

I also have a D-Moll. I love to boost it with an OD, sorry to those who will be upset about that. Adds a lil something and makes it feel tighter to me. I was using a Maxon 808 and it was good but I am so glad I tried the Maxon ST9 Pro +. It is my favorite boost ever and I have been a boost junkie for a long time. Very flexible and super aggressive. I will never sell it. It is expensive but I waited and found a good deal on Reverb.

I boost my Diezels with a Maxon OD9. I like it, it doesn't make a big difference, but just enough for me. Helps to sharpen up that huge bass the Diezels have and add a bit more crunch to that smooth clear Diezel gain.

CCT":3y4lhlox said:
Hey guys,

I'm interested to see what the Diezel brain trust uses and why, in regards to front end boost pedals. Other than a short test with the TS mini with a couple of my other heads, I've never used a TS type pedal :LOL: :LOL:
Diezel purist!

Why on God's green earth would you want to or even think about sticking a pedal in front of any Diezel amp?

Suggest seeking out a good rack unit and avoid invading on Peter's pristine direct sound - strictly guitar output to guitar input.

Thanks for all the responses guys :thumbsup:

I probably should have stated that of course, the DMoll doesn't need anything else :rock:
Funny, through my investigating I had been looking at the two Maxons that you guys had listed. I tend to lean towards full bottom ended tone so the ST9 Pro+ in particular looked like a good possibility if I decide to go that route.

:D

1meanplexi":3e5zeez3 said:
Suhr KoKo boost.

Hmmm, I had forgotten about the KoKo Boost, thanks. I remember seeing and hearing some good things about it a while back. What characteristics do you find that it has/adds in regards to your Diezel?

For two years i have been using nothing in Front of my dmoll. Then a buddy of Mine gave me an od 808 to try it out. Since these Day the 808 dont leave the Signal chain. He ads a little bit more thightness and clarity to the sound. I love it. Greets from germany

Nothing.
Just to push it for a certain part as a Volume Boost to cut thru instead of using the 4th Channel of the VH4.
Other than that no boost needed.

CCT":19xn5vws said:
1meanplexi":19xn5vws said:
Suhr KoKo boost.

Hmmm, I had forgotten about the KoKo Boost, thanks. I remember seeing and hearing some good things about it a while back. What characteristics do you find that it has/adds in regards to your Diezel?

I know the comments can widely vary on throwing a boost in front of a Diezel. With the KoKo it just gives it a kick that rounds off an existing tone that is already great. Again, the KoKo is not an overdrive.

I liken it to why a race car driver who already has the best engine money can by, but to give it a kick in the balls they have a turbo boost. You can take it from there.

1meanplexi":2vjo4cyu said:
CCT":2vjo4cyu said:
1meanplexi":2vjo4cyu said:
Suhr KoKo boost.

I know the comments can widely vary on throwing a boost in front of a Diezel. With the KoKo it just gives it a kick that rounds off an existing tone that is already great. Again, the KoKo is not an overdrive.

I liken it to why a race car driver who already has the best engine money can by, but to give it a kick in the balls they have a turbo boost. You can take it from there.

Exactly ;) It's just another possible tool in the toolbox so to speak. Adding color or texture or whatever when it's desired. I use a BB custom shop Preamp for solos with another head I own for instance.

I appreciate all the feedback and thoughts guys :rock:

Craig

xXDaveyJonesXx":2f89vz14 said:
I'm genuinely surprised Reza hasn't bitched you out yet. :LOL: :LOL:

But I guess King Krimson beat him to it.

Please remove Adolf Hiter from your posts.

Thanks,
Peter

Peter Diezel":1z11l16o said:
xXDaveyJonesXx":1z11l16o said:
I'm genuinely surprised Reza hasn't bitched you out yet. :LOL: :LOL:

But I guess King Krimson beat him to it.

Please remove Adolf Hiter from your posts.

Thanks,
Peter
Here here!! :thumbsup:

Agreed AND concur.

There are tones & feel that I don't feel I can achieve without boosting the input signal into a valve amplifier. It adds compression, pick attack & focus that amps rarely deliver on their own. It's not an insult to an amplifier to add tone shaping devices to the front end.

I use a TS9 currently.

Top.Echelon":3ep6wubr said:
strictly guitar output to guitar input.

:confused:

All this talk about boosting and what not. Im trying to play my Herbert but dont get the chance......why god why :doh:

I think its personal if you want to boost or not. Id love to try it but dont have a boost pedal. Do i think i need it? no, would i like to try it? yes.

Enjoy your amps and playing time guys :rock:

Back