TS type or other "boost" pedals for Diezel's?

Yesterday I had an epiphany. Over the past several years I've been using Fryette amps which did not like OD/Boost pedals in front, so I had kept my SD-1 in the cupboard.

I've had a D-Moll for a few months now and really found myself not so happy with it, especially compared to my Sig:X and Pittbull Classic.

Last night I was just checking out the amps and decided, "Why not?" and put the SD-1 into my chain in front of the D-Moll. Vol at 10, Tone at 10, Drive at 0.

HOLY SHIT!

It feels like a blanket was removed from CH 2 and 3. It really tightened up my lows. With the boost on, I was able to turn the Deep and Presence controls to get the right blend of thump and cut.

I expect to record with a blend of the Sig:X and D-Moll. The Sig:X gives a bit more of the dynamic range I'd be looking for (I can go clean to scream based on picking dynamics alone with it on the yellow channel) and the Diezel provides the core tone.

Bravo!

I take it back. My last post was me alone. Today I played with drums and bass. The OD was bringing in too much noise, so removed it and re-EQ'd the amp a bit to bring more presence and treble. Fit way better in the mix and sounded brutal but still quite compressed. Great on its own but for recording would definitely benefit from a more dynamic amp like the Sig:X to make it breathe more. I think the OD is more important when you can't play at higher volumes.

Amazing amplifier.

gaskocher":25genjrl said:
According to Mike Fortin the Grind is basically a booster with an additional EQ curve and similar can be achieved with a parametric EQ.
Anyone tried an Artec parametric EQ in front of their amp to give the signal a little bump in the upper-mids for a better cut? It's quite cheap, so I might just give it a try.

Empress para eq is AMZING for sculptabke clean boosting.

moltenmetalburn":12zesdbl said:
gaskocher":12zesdbl said:
According to Mike Fortin the Grind is basically a booster with an additional EQ curve and similar can be achieved with a parametric EQ.
Anyone tried an Artec parametric EQ in front of their amp to give the signal a little bump in the upper-mids for a better cut? It's quite cheap, so I might just give it a try.

Empress para eq is AMZING for sculptabke clean boosting.

This is what I keep hearing...

dirtyfunkg":2ybx75q6 said:
It feels like a blanket was removed from CH 2 and 3. It really tightened up my lows. With the boost on, I was able to turn the Deep and Presence controls to get the right blend of thump and cut.

Bravo!

Blanket on D-Moll???
Mine sounds Heavenly. As far as Boosts I have a TS9DX & a Klon. Both work well for Solos on
CH2, CH3 I use for Solos too, but without the pedals. CH1 works well with Pedals where I use a Xotic SL Drive for Marshall sounds, a Malekko Chorus is perfect on the Clean CH1.

Here is about where I run my D-Moll (I have a Front Loaded Diezel 4x12 with G12K100s & V30s in an X-Pattern)

Screenshot_2015-12-03-10-15-57.png

I just picked up a MXR IL TORINO. It's the most transparent and if you dial it in properly, it can get similar to the Fortin Grind.

Late to the party, but primarily I use a Suhr Kokoboost in front of any amp, did so with my Hagen (in fact, I took my Hagen OD shopping with me), and do now with my D-Moll, the mid-cut on the D-Moll and the mid boost on the Koko work in different frequencies so it can change the character quite a bit. I use an OD808 at home just because I can. I could quite happily gig without either one though.

I use a Klon KTR, or Empress Multidrive. generally use them always on. i find with both those pedals they do a nice upper mid eq boost that i can't quite dial in the preamp of my herbert or hagen that helps me cut into a muddy high gain band mix. gain and output on the pedals are pretty low, and it just sweetens the tone without me having to turn up louder so i can be heard. of course i don't neeeeeed it, the amps sound amazing on their own. but it just sounds 10-15% better when i put them on with my band cranked super loud on stage.

although people say the original version sounds better, this works pretty well
it was overpriced new, but I bet they go cheap used
I got it in a trade for some tube driven maxon boost/overdrive I had, and as a booster, it works way better than the maxon did (and I also got a lot of cash in the trade :D )
b5a722126b41239182da1a8ed418dc5e.jpg

Peter Diezel":31z58gvb said:
This is just a treble boost to get more attack and gain
by lazy right hand. But ...... it fits great in this case for
riffing. But what´s about a fat lead tone ?

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I don't like how you represent this.

there are many of us who are not lazy and have a picking hand that destroys the strings.

I use .63-.13 strings and also play bass. My hands are STRONG and I am not lazy in any way.

However I will ALWAYS have a pedal in front of my diezels. Why? Because they cannot do The sounds I go for alone.. Period. No amp can at this time. 95 percent of the professionals I have toured with playing metal use a TS in front of ANY amplifier.

basically you have never understood why people use OD pedals with high gain amplifiers.

The two reason are this:

Added compression. Yeah guys don't even realize a TS808 limits dynamic range but it does and they like it. Less.dynamics makes for easier playing, some like that. I dont until its lead time.

But the most important feature is PRE DISTORTION EQ.

Driving only the mid frequencies harder while leaving bass and high lees muddy and sharp and more clear. Can't do that when turning up amp gain. Post eq does not have the same effect either.

If you're really looking to make a Diezel pedal as an overdrive it should just be a clean boost pedal that allows trimming lows and highs however Empress,VFE, and a few other already have these out and I am using them to great effect.

The BB+ red was really cool...I used the MXR SBAOD which was decent but lately I'm on the Fortin Grind. I only use it for a few riffs/tunes in the set but the ones that use it on sound beastly! Most tunes I don't use the OD. In fact, the louder I play the less I want an OD. It is fun to have at home volumes and in the studio. Quad track 2 amp + 2 OD clean boost>DMoll is money for high gain rhythm stuff.

Yes, I want a Diezel OD

JimmyBlind":nhue15rs said:
I use over drives so I can dial the gain back on the preamps. I find it's clearer and more focussed that way, without compromising feel and compression. When I turn my overdrive off, the amp is set up pretty modest.

"There are tones & feel that I don't feel I can achieve without boosting the input signal into a valve amplifier. It adds compression, pick attack & focus that amps rarely deliver on their own. It's not an insult to an amplifier to add tone shaping devices to the front end.

I use a TS9 currently. "

^^^
I agree with all of this :thumbsup:

The Savage 120 is the only amp I've owned thus far that requires no boost to achieve the above.

I apologize for not chiming back in sooner as zi started this thread but i'm having health issues..i ended up finding two pedals that I feel work really well....The VFE FOCUS and theSuhr KOKO Boost Reloaded
hope that helps someone

CCT":1ze07229 said:
I apologize for not chiming back in sooner as zi started this thread but i'm having health issues..i ended up finding two pedals that I feel work really well....The VFE FOCUS and theSuhr KOKO Boost Reloaded
hope that helps someone

feel better. focus is GREAT, waiting for my upgraded Standout from the vfe kickstarter.

CCT":8wvwvpx9 said:
hope that helps someone

Can't recommend the Koko enough. Still a staple part of my rig and has been for nearly 3 years now.

Back