Got to play my Herbert agin and tube question

shadow070

I finally got to play again :rock:

I stayed most of the time on the clean channel, man i enjoy that channel.
Ive never played a bettter clean channel.

To the point:
My guitar had static noise, i think the grounding has to be solderd.
I looked at my mails and i havent retubed the amp for 4 years now.
When playing the amp i didnt notice that i had to retube but after 4 years should i retube?

Im running el34b str tubes if im correct.

That kinda depends on how heavy the tubes have been used, and how they sound right now.

If you experience any kind of noise och lack of clarity/punch in your Herbert I´d say it´s time to retube.
So I guess it´s up to you and your ears to decide on that one. :thumbsup:

Personally I tend to retube preamp every two years and poweramp every year, but I think that´s more of a bad habit than the tubes actually sounding bad :D

But on another note, the Herbert is a beast!! I have a Herbert and Hagen right now and the punch in Herbie is out of this world :rock:

Well, i havent played the amp that much. When i do play, i play at low volume.

There is no problem but with old tubes its just that i might not hear if i nead to retube. BTW i hope the tube market is a bit more relyable then a vew years back. I orderd 2 sets and both had bad tubes.

I got married, moved to a small apartment but i refuse to sell the amp. I enjoy it to much, no matter what the volume is at. When im home alone i can always crack it up. I hope that one day i can try a schmidt. But im still in love with the Herbert. For me: perfect clean channel, versatile rythem channel that i use for both rythem and lead, lead channel that is amazinf for also both rythem and lead playing. With channel 3 the note defenition is perfect. The mid-cut i could never live without, it bringd depth to channel 2 and 3 and i use it with coution.

shadow070":pcq14eem said:
Well, i havent played the amp that much. When i do play, i play at low volume.

There is no problem but with old tubes its just that i might not hear if i nead to retube. BTW i hope the tube market is a bit more relyable then a vew years back. I orderd 2 sets and both had bad tubes.

I got married, moved to a small apartment but i refuse to sell the amp. I enjoy it to much, no matter what the volume is at. When im home alone i can always crack it up. I hope that one day i can try a schmidt. But im still in love with the Herbert. For me: perfect clean channel, versatile rythem channel that i use for both rythem and lead, lead channel that is amazinf for also both rythem and lead playing. With channel 3 the note defenition is perfect. The mid-cut i could never live without, it bringd depth to channel 2 and 3 and i use it with coution.

If that´s the case, and you still think it sounds good (or awesome as it should), then I don´t think you have to worry about retubing =)
If you find yourself worrying about the tubes and money isn't a big issue, then just change them.
That can bring some peace of mind sometimes. I bought a Hagen recently from a musicstore here in Sweden. The amp had been in the store for almost two years, and even if it hadn't been played heavily it just felt better to change all tubes so I was sure just how old and used the tubes were.

If you want a more lush sound but at lower levels you could get a loadbox of any kind, so the amp gets a little bit pushed but the volume´s still low.
I have my Herbert at home too right now, and it sounds pretty awesome at low levels too.
The Herbert is extremely well built and sound just as good.
I bought the Hagen because it was at an extremely good price (€1600/$1800) and it is a little bit wilder than the Herbert.
But hey, two slices of awesome is just more awesome ;)

haha, that is .... awesome :LOL: :LOL:

I think ill wait then, bias the power tubes for now and see what happens. Changing the preamp tubes might be a good one.

I will get a torpedo live later on. Dont get that much playing time so i dont need it right away.
Right now i get to rock a very old Engl v30 1x12 cab, carbon copy in the loop (just a slight delay tail) and im happy.

To buy list for when i have the cash:
Diezel 1X12 v30 (i dont need more in my life, a 1x12 at home is just perfect)
colombus (i need a simpel switching solution for the channels, mid-cut and the loops)
Zerrer (i dont always need tubes, just 1 clean, 1 rythem and 1 lead sound, with this i dont need to run a high wattage amp just for practise)
Schmidt (i just want to have that class A Diezel powerd clean channel for my jazz/ touch style playing)
Diezel shirt, so people know im biased towords anything Diezel :doh:
A glass head shell for the Herbert, its just sexy without the case but id might be tempted to touch the transformers just because :scared:

shadow070":1skvceoc said:
haha, that is .... awesome :LOL: :LOL:

I think ill wait then, bias the power tubes for now and see what happens. Changing the preamp tubes might be a good one.

I will get a torpedo live later on. Dont get that much playing time so i dont need it right away.
Right now i get to rock a very old Engl v30 1x12 cab, carbon copy in the loop (just a slight delay tail) and im happy.

To buy list for when i have the cash:
Diezel 1X12 v30 (i dont need more in my life, a 1x12 at home is just perfect)
colombus (i need a simpel switching solution for the channels, mid-cut and the loops)
Zerrer (i dont always need tubes, just 1 clean, 1 rythem and 1 lead sound, with this i dont need to run a high wattage amp just for practise)
Schmidt (i just want to have that class A Diezel powerd clean channel for my jazz/ touch style playing)
Diezel shirt, so people know im biased towords anything Diezel :doh:
A glass head shell for the Herbert, its just sexy without the case but id might be tempted to touch the transformers just because :scared:

Hehe, I couldn´t help myself :D

Sounds like a good home setup you got going on!
I have a smilar setup but with Palmer 2x12 with greenbacks and a Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay in the loop.
That´s all I need for awesome tones with my Diezels :rock:

Hehe, the Diezel company is very good at making us want to buy more stuff :yes:
I too am curios about the Schmidt (or the Einstein 50w if I could find one), since the Hagen/Herbert/VH4 are powerhouses!
And YES to the shirts! I too want everybody to see the nerd I really am! :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Peter ill go tube hunting soon.

Whatamada, your lucky enough to get to play those 2 beasts. Enjoy it.

Just to mention, having played other amps, the best thing out of the Herbert for me is getting to play the guitar. I always found myself pushing a button or adjusting the eq just because something wasnt right. Having a plug and play setup is killer.

BTW Peter i have the Herbert for 5 years and i still love the amp just like i did the first year. Amazing product and service. Hope bussiness is going well for you and the team.

shadow070":2bs3qtzq said:
Thanks Peter ill go tube hunting soon.

Whatamada, your lucky enough to get to play those 2 beasts. Enjoy it.

Just to mention, having played other amps, the best thing out of the Herbert for me is getting to play the guitar. I always found myself pushing a button or adjusting the eq just because something wasnt right. Having a plug and play setup is killer.

BTW Peter i have the Herbert for 5 years and i still love the amp just like i did the first year. Amazing product and service. Hope bussiness is going well for you and the team.

I am, almost everyday even.
And the same to you! The Herbert really is a unique amp that always puts a smile on your face :thumbsup:

Whatamada":1eu5jmck said:
webrthomson":1eu5jmck said:

Hey Peter - is there somewhere that you can recommend to buy Ruby tubes in the EU?

I bought mine at Banzai Music in Germany =)

Thanks - I just noticed that Thomann carry them too - Watford and hotrox in the UK do not!

webrthomson":14fb3kvc said:

Hey Peter - is there somewhere that you can recommend to buy Ruby tubes in the EU?

I don´t know if they have distribution here in the EU.
Maybe ask TAD for the stock tubes. Please just use
the ones from the list.

This. I've tried a bunch of different tubes in my Herbert and it sounds the best to my ears with the stock Diezel spec'd tubes. Specifically KT77's.

Back