Which amp for me?

user404

Hello,

I'm looking for a versatile multichannel Diezel amp.
I would like to get a good crunch for 70s tone marshall style(acdc- led zeppelin- deep purple) and something for 80s trash metal.

From youtube i like herbert and Einstein, but the crunch is really good?

(I always played marshall jmp amplifiers )

thanks

Einstein is 2 channel and doesn't have as many switching options as the big boys. You do find good deals on Einsteins nowadays though.

If you like the Einstein, you'll like the VH4, which sounded pretty similar to me, is 4 channel and gives you the midi & FX switching. VH4 Channel 3 is pretty legendary. It's a pretty dry amp as well. I'd argue that makes it the most versatile model.

The Herbert is a beast and more modern. I'd like to own one myself. The herbert can still clean up though & is surprisingly versatile.

The Lil Fokker seems to have that bright, upper mid thing going on and worth checking out. I wouldn't say any of them sound like a plexi.

Einstein will def cover the ground your looking for. As will the others just w more options & midi.

If you fancy a combo I'm selling my Einstein combo. Check out in classified. Great amp just too heavy for my bad back.

Someone is probably going to punch me in the face for this, but IMHO I don't think there is much for marshallish type tones from any of the big Diezel heads that I have played. I LOVE Diezel, but something that might fit you better would be an amp like a Peters, where you can custom order a JMP type preamp for one channel, and something a bit gainier for 80's thrash on a different channel.

I'm just getting a vibe like a guy walks into a Ferrarri dealership and asks for a car with classic body lines and a BB V8 sound to it.

RJF":qc8tqg3n said:
Someone is probably going to punch me in the face for this, but IMHO I don't think there is much for marshallish type tones from any of the big Diezel heads that I have played. I LOVE Diezel, but something that might fit you better would be an amp like a Peters, where you can custom order a JMP type preamp for one channel, and something a bit gainier for 80's thrash on a different channel.

I'm just getting a vibe like a guy walks into a Ferrarri dealership and asks for a car with classic body lines and a BB V8 sound to it.

Kinda agree with this, but for what you are describing and if your heart is set on a Diezel you could go three ways IMHO:

• Einstein - channel 1 mode three will get you the crunch you want and channel two will get you 80's thrash and way more.
    VH4 - channel 2 will get you most of the way to a Marshal, might need to boost it though, and channel three will get you to a 80 thrash sound, and again, way more.
    Schmidt - Channel 2 is the most rock and roll channel I've heard in a Diezel so that would cover a crunch while channel three would easily get your 80 thrash sound. Don't be fooled by the supposed 30 Watts my Schmidt is loud as all hell.

All of these options will come with the particular diesel sound DNA so will not be 100% authentic Marshall, that would be a JVM or a JCM 800 2203 + boost :)

TBH I don' think you can go wrong with any of the Diezels, an approximation of what you want should be possible from most of them - I can get close to my JMP on my Herbert channel 2 with the - setting, low gain and an SD1 boost, but if you are Marshall purist only one thing actually sounds like a Marshall:

WP_20150924_001_zpsn5gl0hln.jpg

I have many marshall jmp from 70's years, superbass and superlead
but you know, they require many volume and some pedals...
that's why i'm looking for a new versatile head with 70s and 80s sound...

user404":3g7enaxh said:
I have many marshall jmp from 70's years, superbass and superlead
but you know, they require many volume and some pedals...
that's why i'm looking for a new versatile head with 70s and 80s sound...

I'd go with a 50 Watt Einstein then :thumbsup:

No pedals required and plenty of control on the master volume!

While the Einstein sounds amazing, I definitely missed the functionality of my VH4 when I owned one in an interim. The individual modes on channel 1 sounded great, but wasn't setup how I would have liked it, straight out the box.
I've said this before, but I personally think the amp should have had an independent clean channel and assigned the other three voices to the other channel. That way the clean channel could always be used in conjunction with distortion pedals as a multi channel channel if required.
If you wanted to use Modes 2 & 3 (imo the best voices in the head and the ones most suited to the sounds you're after), you can't switch to a clean or use them independently. The lead channel 2 was probably the voice I used least and pretty much cleaned it up as best I could for use as a clean channel but wasn't ideal.
Can all be setup & modded to taste of course, but definitely worth investigating. It didn't really work for me.
The D-Moll was an enormous step up from the Einstein in terms of functionality, but isn't voiced the same.

user404":3hhto7c3 said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a versatile multichannel Diezel amp.
I would like to get a good crunch for 70s tone marshall style(acdc- led zeppelin- deep purple) and something for 80s trash metal.

From youtube i like herbert and Einstein, but the crunch is really good?

(I always played marshall jmp amplifiers )

thanks

For crunch I found the Hagen ch.2 to be outstanding.
I think that all four channels on that beast to be outstanding actually :LOL: :LOL:
I own both the Hagen and Herbert and must say that for what your looking for the Hagen would be better suited than Herbie.
But that´s my opinion....I know someone is think "that guy must hear with his a**" :D

Back