Low hum on VH4

fps

Hi,
I just moved, taking my VH4 with, and when it's on standby I'm getting a low pitched hum from the amp. It's quite quiet, but I'm not sure it was there before. Should I be expecting this to be there, or should it be dead silent?
Cheers

Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":2idgglcg said:
From the amp or the speakers? If from the amp is just noise from the transformers and nothing to worry about. If from the speakers that's a different story

From the amp itself, yes. Do you think it's OK then?

You're ok. Every single one of my Diezel's and several other boutique heads I've had have had transformer noise and it's nothing to worry about. If you've ever been next to a power substation you will notice the same noise and it's nothing more then electrical hum. If you are still worried try to capture it on video and we can confirm for you if you wish.

every amp I had with Mercury Magnetic transformers had this issue. No idea if Diezel uses it. never was an issue. Good transformers apparently means you can hear the hum when the amp is otherwise silent?

Most of the tube amps I have owned have had a low, but audible humm. This includes my VH4 and Herbert. Absolutely nothing to worry about.

Many thanks everyone. If someone else wants to chime in, great, but it's good to hear from y'all \m/

Now I don't know a lot but what I've always been told construction and mounting has a lot to do with the hum. The magnetic field created by the transformer will make the laminates vibrate and hum with the electrical cycle. Diezel transformers are MUCH bigger and push more power then boogies and some hum will happen... It can be gotten rid of but it doesn't come through the speakers and isn't loud enough to be heard over a roaring half stack so it's not necessary to eliminate it entirely.

Is the hum there with the guitar plugged in or with the jack pulled? Check that the power tubes are seated well if you have just moved it.

I don't notice any lamination hum coming from my Diezels.

I've had 4 now and they've all be crazy quiet. I've had older amps that would hum like that...a mid 70's SVT comes to mind. You could hear the transformer voltage over the fan noise.

Either way, the noise doesn't indicate that there are good things (or bad things) happening. It's just like that sometimes.

the room pretty much has to be dead silent to hear mine but one of the Herbert I owned was definitely louder with the transformer hum. It's common though . Abstract may have some really good power in his area too because it does get worse with a dirty mains supply. When I got my first Diezel it was just ridiculously noisy because I had a reverse neutral in my house. After fixing that my amp was quieter over all in every way. May have dirty power too.

AHHH!!!

I use a big heavy APC power conditioner. Yessiree!

Interesting. I got it for another layer of amp protection and to smooth the voltage.

I had the SVT when I lived in a small unincorporated village...where the lights were flickering all the time.

Back