Looking for VH4 - year / tube recommendation?

NateFreezy

Hi all --

I'm in the market for my first Diezel and am leaning towards the VH4 for overall versatility.

I'd like to pick one up used, and am wondering if people have particular recommendations for certain years or tube combinations that they prefer.

I'm sure a lot is personal preference so am more curious than trying to find a "right" answer.

Any other thoughts though on what to look for or think about is much appreciated. I play a mix of rock and metal, everything from classic to modern in a variety of tunings from standard to drop A#.

Thanks!

Well, do you like your sound to be a bit bright or dark? Do you like a lot of compression or more open sounding?

Early VH4's will be darker with more compression, where 2008ish and newer will be a bit brighter and less compressed.

IMHO, I would just buy the VH4 that turns up as the best buy. I don't think the differences in years is huge.

I have had older and newer versions

honestly you really wont be able to tell em apart with a few tweaks of the eq knobs

just get the best deal that you can!

I have a 2001 VH4, and my favorite tubes for it used to be Winged C 6L6s. Unfortunately, they are no longer being made, so if you find them they will be very expensive. Gold Lion KT77 were pretty cool, and I have just recently decided to go back to Ruby EL34BSTRs. I should be trying those out in the next few weeks; it's been many years since I've had EL34s in the amp.

Good luck, VH4s are great!

Back