Herbert Midi Store Issue

luke_duke

Hi Guys!

I have some probs with the Midi Storage/Switching :cry: . For example if I store Ch. 3 Setting on eg. Midi Bank #3 and a different Ch3. Setting on Midi Bank #4, the settings are identically. Is this a issue or just not supported by the Herbert (Version 1 )? Same Goes for Ch.2.
To store Presets I perform following actions:
1. Set the desired Preset # on the Midi Board
2. Set the Channel,Volume,Mid Cut to the desired tone.
3. Hit the store Button
4. Finished

Don't blame me for discovering this issue so "late" but since I started a Cover-Band I need more settings than usual. :rock:
I am afraid I am doing this completely wrong. :confused:

Devices Used
Herbert Serial No 001/1214
Nobels MF-1

You would help me a lot!

Greets Lukas

Check the Program Change settings on your midi banks (different presets could have the same program change numbers) or try reseting the midi pedal to factory default.

Peter

luke_duke":2ulojsne said:
Hi Guys!

Okay, I'm going to ask a stupid question. Is it not remembering what is on or off on each of those items, or are you thinking it is not working right because it is not "remembering" you actual channel settings from one midi program to the next? Meaning are you expecting it to "save" your bass/mid/treble and volume settings for each midi program?

You can only store channel 1/2/3, mid cut on/off, loop on/off and volume 1/2 for each preset. You can't store individual EQ or gain settings for different presets.

luke_duke":1cgp43pd said:
Hi Guys!

I have some probs with the Midi Storage/Switching :cry: . For example if I store Ch. 3 Setting on eg. Midi Bank #3 and a different Ch3. Setting on Midi Bank #4, the settings are identically. Is this a issue or just not supported by the Herbert (Version 1 )? Same Goes for Ch.2.
1. Set the desired Preset # on the Midi Board
3. Hit the store Button
4. Finished

Don't blame me for discovering this issue so "late" but since I started a Cover-Band I need more settings than usual. :rock:
I am afraid I am doing this completely wrong. :confused:

Devices Used
Herbert Serial No 001/1214
Nobels MF-1

You would help me a lot!

Greets Lukas

Hit the store button twice !

Thank you so much for your answers!

I tried to save different Gain Settings on 1 Channel. Is this possible?
The more I dig into this the less familliar I am with it and the more embarassing it gets for me.

@ Peter
Sorry I forgot to add this to the points in the first part. Of course I hit the store button twice.

Thanks!

Greets Lukas

Nope, it's all analog with non-motorised pots. You can't save anything other than channel/mid cut/loop/vol 2 selection. All that recalled stuff is then used with the gain/eq/volume pots current positions.

So no, you can't save gain.

Thanks for your answer!

Ok, I thought I was wrong. Looking at the PCB pics reveals the misunderstanding.
Just interest, wouldn't that be a nice feature for next model/revision ?

Greets Lukas

EDIT: Just for me as a Nerd: Would you really need a motorized Poti? Wouldn't it be enough to hook the poti up to an A/D read the Poti Value and set a Digital Poti according to the Value?

No, you can't change the gain and eq with midi commands on the amp itself, it doesn't work like Line6 Spider, Peavey Vypyr... or Mesa Triaxis, Engl 580 preamp....

But... You can put some midi controled EQ in the serial loop ( Source Audio Programmable EQ pedal ) or use some EQ effect on multieffect rack unit (g-major....)

strungout82":3ib9tsae said:
No, you can't change the gain and eq with midi commands on the amp itself, it doesn't work like Line6 Spider, Peavey Vypyr... or Mesa Triaxis, Engl 580 preamp....

But... You can put some midi controled EQ in the serial loop ( Source Audio Programmable EQ pedal ) or use some EQ effect on multieffect rack unit (g-major....)

Thx! Now I get it. OK then I will need to build a Preamp myself to use it on special occasion. Hopefully Herbert is not that mad at me :aww:

Greets Lukas

If you just need different gain settings use either the volume pot on your guitar to get less gain, or a boost on front of the amp to get more gain.

luke_duke":2ztughxp said:
EDIT: Just for me as a Nerd: Would you really need a motorized Poti? Wouldn't it be enough to hook the poti up to an A/D read the Poti Value and set a Digital Poti according to the Value?

It's possible to do this like it's done on mesa triaxis or engl e580 tube preamps. You can store presets with different gain a eq settings on them and still have nice tube sound. But the price for such amp would be quite high.

And really, who needs so much different eq settings... Most of the sounds you really need could be done with same EQ settings but different FX and work with volume pot or OD pedal.

Yeah I guess you could do it with digital pots, but then you have no idea what settings you just recalled so you'd be totally in the dark, else need led rings round each knob or a digital display like the triaxis to actually show the settings. Hence if it did it I think motorised pots would be most elegant, but then may have more move time on the beginning of the preset change.

Back