Channel Volume pot levels

Me

Where do you run your channel volume pots (in this case Herbert) relative to the master volume?

The manual says the volume pot changes the loop level up to +10 dB. Will all standard stomp boxes take that? Or is there a lower level to send them maximum signal for best S-N ratio without overloading them. Is there a rule of thumb as to approximately where on the channel volume knob that is (I guess assuming flat EQ, that'll have a bit of effect too)?

Is there a sweet point where the input level to the power amp also sounds better with it higher, lower or about half way?

How much does the clean channel knob affect the headroom of the clean channel? I take it if you want the cleanest clean possible with pretty high output pickups you may be forced to run all channel volume low and the master higher.

I think the clean might sound nicest with lower volume and higher master. After poking about I think the drive channels might have the edge with a higher preamp volume and lower master. Unfortunately I can't play very loud at home and my bandmates don't wanna pay money for the practice room to listen to me experiment with lots of loud noise for ages though when we need to practice and write stuff! So I don't know if I image that as the acoustics are forever different from week to week. So I figured maybe you guys had a thought on it...

(I think I once saw a thread on this, but I can't seem to find it)

The Herbert is pretty easy to dial in. I always ran my channel volumes pretty high (10oclock - 1 oclock)...and adjusted Master for the output I was looking for.

I had a MK1 and I couldn't get the clean channel to break up...

Back