Herbert power tube combinations

BPage

Hello everyone. I'm new here so try not to crucify the newbie. I recently purchased a Herbert and want to immediately re-tube. I play super fast death/grind/blackmetal stuff and was thinking about a combo of KT77 and 6L6WXT (or variant thereof). My question is what positions to put them in? I like my Lows-noon, Mids-noon to 3/4 and highs- 1/4 to noon. I currently use my Jackson PS-4 and Soloist which both have active EMG 81's so I have quite a bit of high end. I use a stack of Line 6 Spider Valve cabinets loaded with vintage 30's. With that all said, which positions should i put the KT's and 6L6's in to maximize the grind? Not looking for too much low end chugga chugga stuff. I play fast and like note clarity. I want to emphasize that I'm not trying to scoop out my low end at all but trying to clarify that lows aren't my main concern. I like maximum sizzle with articulation. One last thing...If any of you think I'd be better off with 6550's or some other power tube please say so. I realize most of my distortion is coming from my pre-amp tubes. I bought some nice Golden Lion 12AX7'S for them. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Bill

I've tried a few combo's in my Herbert, all Ruby EL34, Tung Sol 6L6 in the outer two pairs with Tung Sol 6550's in the middle, (outside>inside:) Ruby EL34 - Tung Sol 6L6 - Tung Sol 6550 and finally my current setup of TAD EL34's in the outer two pairs with Tung Sol 6550's in the middle. That's probably my favourite combo so far for working in the band mix, tight, articulate and clear but still enough punch to kick you in the guts. I've also retubed my preamp section with Tung Sol 12AX7's throughout.

The only tubes I liked better than the current KT77's Peter Diezel recommends were Winged =C= EL34's.

So...I'd suggest KT77's. ;)

Back