Time to re-valve my VH4... KT77 or EL34?

I'm just gonna confirm your gut feeling here, but since you both like the tones your having now, and based on your musical direction, I don't think the EL34 will sound better. They'll probably just make your clean sound a bit smaller and compressed (my opinion).
Stick with the 77's! :)

What you're describing you want el34's, seriously. You need more of the valve compression and break up that el34's will provide. It's what I don't care about 77's they're too clean and smooth.

I have a 2001 VH4 that I re-tubed with Gold Lion KT77s about a year ago. Killer. More 3D than EL34s in my opinion, but at the end of the day I felt the EL34s cut through in a band mix a little better. Just switched back to EL34s.

suddendark":byl5e247 said:
I have a 2001 VH4 that I re-tubed with Gold Lion KT77s about a year ago. Killer. More 3D than EL34s in my opinion, but at the end of the day I felt the EL34s cut through in a band mix a little better. Just switched back to EL34s.

Which EL34's?

I have used Siemens EL34 and SED EL34. They are sharp and have a good cutting top end.
I usually bias the EL34 in the VH4 to 30ma or 60ma a pair. It gives them a bit more room to rise and does not compress as quickly when pushing the power amp. If you have the money and want the best of both worlds, a NOS quad of Sylvania 6CA7's sound ungodly in the VH4. Big balls and a little compression when pushed. Try to run the bias a little cooler than 35mA and the amp will run a bit cooler. To my ears it sounds good especially when the amp warms up. A Diezel is at it's best after about 30 minutes of warm up or playing.

Cool thanks for the input. I also have found that speaker cabinet (as opposed to just speaker selection) selection is super important with the VH4.

Back