VH4 - Favorite Channel Settings

rztricky

Hey everyone, I've been a long time user and am curious how people tend to run the preamp/master volumes. Usually I find that my pre's are in the 11 o'clock position when live. Has anyone tried pushing the volumes in front of the master into different places and seen dramatic tonal results? Also, KT's or EL's? I still haven't gotten used to the KT's and I am thinking about going back.

Cheers!

I would say it's fair to say that 80% of pro users have their pre levels noon or above, I like mine at 2 o'clock.(Barry stock, Matt Belamy, Rivers from weezer all are noon or higher)(James hetfield from what I've seen is 11 o'clock) not necessarily a right or wrong but I tend to think the sound of the vh4 is in the pre and the fullness in the power amp but it will be LOUD obviously this way. My observation over the years is the mids are more present with the pre's up and vice versa it scoops out a little when the power amp is more involved. I don't know if I'm describing accurately what I hear going on but that's how I feel it. I am an el34 guy because the breakup is a thing I like to hear. KT77 are way too clean for my tastes.

I run all my pre's pretty hot, in fact channel one almost maxed, then match the others to that. Then adjust the overall master accordingly.

Back