Hagen review

blacksun

Hi,

First post, former Herbert and VH4 owner. Now I'm a proud owner of a Hagen and since I had the chance to revisit the VH4 yesterday and A/B it to the Hagen I figured I should contribute and at least provide a mini-review. Keep in mind this is just my perception of the differences between these two awesome amps, YMMV. I'm merely writing this to provide some help for those who are considering a VH4 or Hagen.

Build quality (if you want to call it that) - VH4 is slightly better built than the rest of the diezel line-up, with no PCI boards directly connected to the front or back of the chassis, as a fellow rig-talk member just recently pointed out. The VH4 is still the flagship. The Hagen and Herbert are IMO still painstakingly high quality pieces though. Have not been inside any other Diezels though.

Hagen Ch1: better clean than the VH4, rounder and brighter, a more blackface like diezel clean.
Hagen Ch2: More gain on tap and more British sounding, more Marshallish than the VH4 equivalent, more useable, a great surprise.

The Hagen Ch3 and Ch4 are not as compressed as the VH4 equivalents and they also feel more saggy than the very stiff VH4, (somewhat) more like a vintage amp feel, quite fun to play. They also tend to inherit, just like the Ch2, a more Marshally character as compared to the VH4.

Hagen Ch3: more dirty and has more gain on tap, a muscular Marshall. It is more fully sounding but with a dirtier distortion character which I find lacking some clarity when using a Gibson LP with burstbuckers. With the les paul I definitely prefer the VH4 Ch3, and I do have a preference for that VH4 German signature tone! The Hagen is very related though, a tad more British. With a YJM strat with a low output SD HB in the bridge position I do however prefer the Hagen, the fuller sounding midrange of the Hagen complements the maple-neck alder body strat characteristics way better, that guitar just comes alive (the same guitar is fairly lifeless and thin with the VH4). However, I still just prefer the Ch3 VH4 tone (with a HB LP-style guitar) over pretty much anything else - VH4 wins.

Hagen Ch4: Great solo channel, fairly forgiving with more compression (good and bad for a sloppy player like me). Quite useable as opposed to the VH4 Ch4 which I had a hard time taming, especially when turning the gain knob up beyond 9 o'clock. The Hagen actually has a lot of interesting tonal possibilities with this channel. Also the strat shines on this channel - a win for the Hagen.

End result - a tie, I like the VH4 Ch3 too much for not miss that amp, although the Hagen is a successful evolution of the VH4 in all other respects I think, I especially like the overall less compression of the Hagen. Darn, might hunt down a VH4 or a VH2 in the future.. :)

I know a guy who has several Diezels & owned & swapped out several of each over time. The one he's never switched out is the Hagen. He owns a Herbert & VH4 but has always stood by the Hagen being his favorite.

Nowadays, I almost exclusively play my VH4 through Ch 2. I tend to run clean boosts out front & CH 2 has a lot of balance & integrity to it. So much so that Ch 3 & 4 feel much too compressed now & aren't really my thing. I told him that & he recommended I try the Hagen.

It's a beast of an amp (I sold it to blacksun) ;)
I must say that I agree with this review 100%.
Having owned both the VH4 and Herbert before the Hagen, the Hagen is my favourite chapter in the Diezel story.
If I hadn't had my eyes on a smaller amp, this baby wouldn't have left my loving arms. :cry:

But...the Diezel line is expandning, and the VH2 sounds like just my kind of amp (these days) :D

JimmyBlind":wjzu7upw said:
I know a guy who has several Diezels & owned & swapped out several of each over time. The one he's never switched out is the Hagen. He owns a Herbert & VH4 but has always stood by the Hagen being his favorite.

Nowadays, I almost exclusively play my VH4 through Ch 2. I tend to run clean boosts out front & CH 2 has a lot of balance & integrity to it. So much so that Ch 3 & 4 feel much too compressed now & aren't really my thing. I told him that & he recommended I try the Hagen.

Seems like the Hagen might be your cup of tea. Ch2 feels like a bigger and bolder variant of the VH4 counterpart, it is also however has a slightly more modern touch to it.

Played around with the Ch3 and Ch4 of Hagen a bit more.
Here's the secret of these two channels - the preamp volume!! Of course this setting is always important but for the Hagen its affect on the gain character is massive!!
The effect of the channel volume is gradual but to simplify;
Below 12 o'clock - the gain is somewhat grainy and greasy in a marshall kind of way and very usable depending on the situation.
Turning it (the channel volume) beyond noon gives the gain a VH4 focus without adding to much compression. It essentially becomes a VH4 Ch3 but with a fuller midrange, there is an added complexity which almost feels like there are two amps in the room. I guess the Hagen does not lend it self to provide a midrange space to be filled with another amp character.

I was just plain lost when I plugged into the Hagan I owned for a few months,had been all.over the threads on multiple sites reading up on the gain and character of the amps,sat and played a lil fokker for about an hour,thought it was a tight amp,so I figured the hagan would impress me even more so..it is a kick ass amp,very well laid out very well built and customer service is as good as it gets..I just couldn't find the sweet spot..I tried everything and use prs guitars single cuts and Mccarty s, not much on dropped tunning so maybe I'm missing something..I just couldn't get the Marshally gritty distortion,I would love to have played it and the herbert and the vh4 to better understand.The Einstein maybe is the one I missed on

I mostly use a 1x12 suhr badger cab with a veteran 30 speaker. As for Ch3 I get that grit with the preamp volume about 9-10 o'clock. However, I mostly set the preamp volume at 3 o'clock with a the gain around noon, and use the presence and deep controls far more than the preamp eq which I pretty much leave set at noon, perhaps emphasizing the mids a little bit though. This gives me a more focused gain a la VH4 but with less compression and with a more complex mid structure.
This is only my humble opinion, but in comparison with the VH4 I think the Hagen mid-wise leaves less space/room for an 5150-type of gain, it simply invades that territory as well..

Back