VH4 VS. VH4!!

The 2005 is a ballsy amp with gain that was voiced with the flavor from the original VH4, or at least to me a 1998-2006. The 2007 and up VH4 is an absolute flame thrower in the gain. Wicked and searing with better cleans and a much more angry channel 2. Channel 2 to me is like a JTM-45 on steroids and I can stay there all day with or without a little clean boost. Channel 4 however is very similar on both generations. Liquid Peter Diezel magic. Nicely compressed with the treble down a bit and nasty fluid with cut when the treble and presence are increased. Now the money make is Channel 3 and on the old amps I would have to bring the gain full up. The modern ones the gain is about the same at noon or 1:00 and it can keep going. They are still related to each other, but the newer voiced VH4 channel 3 is very hot and you can dial in the gain to let every mistake through or you can dial in enough gain to cover up your mistakes. A remarkable amp regardless of era.

Wouldn't have expected the 2005 to be that much more focused, I've only owned 09 or up. I played an 06 recently but didn't have my amp next to it for comparison's sake. It was set up quite differently and I couldn't tweak knobs to play but it didn't seem all that different anyway... Definitely not more middy though. So yeah, surprised!

braintheory":932ek5uf said:
guitarplayerone":932ek5uf said:
Who says Diezels can't cut in a live mix, that sounds amazing
They were probably referring to the Herbert

If someone has problems making herbert cut live they need to learn how eq works.
Ch2 and Ch3 with mid-cut at around 10-11 o clock punches right on through.

"My buddy is selling one for $2900. Pm me if you want his info.
2002 model. Best sounding era."

So is this quote you put up a few days ago true or not? :)

Which do you prefer?

I was just gonna say, I never have any trouble cutting through with my Herbert and all the knobs are roughly 12 o'clock. Then realised spguitar is correct... My mid cut is on about 10 o'clock!

Sometimes my presence/deep creep a shade above noon, but generally I'm not sure what the EQ knobs are for on the Herbert: I move them around occasionally as I somehow think I ought to be using them, but then they all end up pretty much back at 12 o'clock! :)

And sound guys put a mic in front and don't see much point EQing it much either!

(212FL V30 for the record)

Didn't listen. :LOL: :LOL:

But that's only because I've got a 2001 AND a 2011. So I know where you're coming from.

With a twist of the presence knob you can get the exact same tones with each.

They're both amazing.

Rezamatix":1niffjsl said:
Dark Helmet":1niffjsl said:
"My buddy is selling one for $2900. Pm me if you want his info.
2002 model. Best sounding era."

So is this quote you put up a few days ago true or not? :)

Which do you prefer?

I kept the 2005 so YES. very true. :)

Well I decided to keep my VH4. I got it figured out. It only took 2 years lol. Mine is a 2013 and It sounds awesome now that the speaker situation and bias is set right.

Back