Diezel Schmidt compensated out

lostbastards

Hello,
i've just received my Diezel Schmidt. Amazing amp. Huge fan.
And I have one specific question : how does the compensated out work ?
I've read the manual (but in English and I'm french so maybe I'm missing the point).
Can I plug it directly to my soundcard ? Do I have to plug it to a loadbox or can I leave it without connecting it to a cab ?
My goal here is to know if I can play the amp without having a cab at home, and if it's possible without a loadbox.

Sorry for the noob questions, it's my first tube head amp. I've always had combos.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

if im correct:

U should always have a load connected
Its mastervolume sensitive so you will have to turn it up
compensated out -> sound card

Yep, always have a load on the main output. This means you can't record silently with it unfortunately. I believe shadow070 is correct and the master volume affects the level so you can't just turn it down to no volume and still record. I seem to remember someone saying it actually comes off a tap on the output transformer so it's the real post-power amp sound (with some added filtering).

I have a THD Hotplate on my Herbie at home, not because it needs the power tubes cranked to sound good, but because I can then get some more sensitive volume control still and play my proper rig late at night in the basement of my mid-terrace house. It also means I can also switch that to "load" setting and then use the Diezel compensated out for silent recording too (the Hotplate output isn't compensated). I used to have a Palmer guitar recording device (PGA-04) for silent recording but sold it to a mate, as although it was more flexible, it didn't really sound any better than the one on my Herbert once I had the knobs set right and had the THD hotplate to drop the volume.

Normally I'll record anything decent with a mic though (I've never found those elusive correct reverb settings to make a DI guitar sound like one in the room), it's great for late-night demos though.

Hey,
thank you so much for your answer. Very interesting. And that's exactly how I'm gonna proceed, just like you. So I bought a Koch Dummybox for the loadbox.
What do you think guys, should I use the compensated out direct in the soundcard or the output of the loadbox ? I mean is there a better to use this ?

Thank you again ;)

Hey,

I'm not sure if the Schmidt or other models operate differently from my Einstein, but the compensated out on the back of my amp is definitely taken before the master volume.
(Yes a load must always be connected).. If I want the actual sound of my Diezel's preamp late at night I simply connect the Compensated output to my recording interface and turn the master volume down to zero. As long as the amp isn't in standby it passes signal at a level that I always assumed was proportional to the channel volume.

I can't say I've taken note of whether or not the presence and deep knobs have any effect on the sound coming from the compensated out (which would place it between the pre and power sections), but I assume they do and that it is located between those two controls and the master output.

One additional note: the sound coming from the compensated out isn't particularly nice on its own and I would absolutely pair it with a nice cabinet simulation.

Hi,
thanks for your answer.
I'll will try this. I'm very curious to hear what it sounds like. If the compensated out is taken before the master volume, that would be really great.
I'm using the Wall of Sounds 3 from Two Notes. I will post some of my audio test in here.

Back