Anyone tried a G12-K100 with a V30 in their 212FL

Me

Hello!

Me forever daydreaming about guitar stuff has made me ponder if anyone has tried the K100 with V30 in their 212FL? Currently I have 2xV30s in there as it came. Generally I'm pretty happy but sometimes it can sound just a shade muddy with higher gain at higher volumes with my Herbert. Often this could just be bad positioning in an acoustically non-ideal room though, as it usually sounds fine at gigs, it's practices where the sound sometimes seems messier (especially if the amp volume and bass/deep are a little higher - but then sometimes it sounds like it could do with more punch and thump if they're not increased a little). I read a bit about the K100s in peoples 412s and it seems a mixed bag from they're super balanced and awesome, else they're clinical and people have gone off them, also varying greatly with different amps tried.

I also considered I could try swapping one G12-T75 out my Marshall cab to try as a mix for a bit of fun too since they're the same impedance and would cost me a whole £0, and I could put them back if I didn't like it.

Any thoughts, or am I just an insufferable fool who should go play more guitar instead of my incessant gear fiddling... :doh:

I have a 212 setup this way, but to be honest it's for recording so I can mic whichever speaker sounds better to me. I think it's best to leave the v30s in (if they're your cup of tea). 212s with 2 different speakers don't sound incredibly awesome in my opinion in a live situation. If you need thickness a 412 might be in order. Also, room acoustics will definitely squash a good sound.

Yeah, probably best to leave it alone by the sound of it. I have pondered a 412, but the 212 is so much easier to move. That is unless I save up for a 412 and keep it near my front door, with the 212 where my rig usually sits in the house. No way I'm getting a 412 up and down my stairs every time (my knees are crackly enough and there's enough dents in the walls already from the 212, herbie in a flight case and my obscene pedal board)!

I've got three Zilla Fatboys, one loaded with V30's at 8 ohms, one with V30's at 16 ohms and one with a V30/K100 combo at 16 ohms. The V30 cabs are noticeably brighter and clearer, but the V30/K100 cab is thicker and has more low end thump, but at the expense of sounding muddier. Neither combination sounds bad, just different.

I did that but I have to run the cab at 16 Ohms because I could not get a 16Ohm K100.

In the past I liked the v30 more but since I got some proper studio monitors I like the k100 for recording a lot better.

Diezels do not have lots of hi mids that's why the v30 sounds still okay. Other amps need none of the v30 harshness between 2 and 3kHz.

I find it a nice option zu have both in one cab.

You could try using two k100s and turn up the mids to get rid of the muddiness. 2 flabby V30s might not be able to handle the bass of a Herbert.

Back