Vh4 keeps blowing fuses

Adam46and2

So today I powered up my vh4 and it was on and running for a bit well then all the sudden it blew the main fuse. I pulled out all the power tubes from their sockets replace the main fuse and all the lights came on again. Then I replaced all the power tubes with known good tubes and just turned the power switch on and all the lights came, on stay lit and the tubes were glowing. As soon as I picked up the standby switch it blew the fuse again. The only symptoms I had prior to the amp blowing its fuse was making a ticking sound and then the power went out. What could be the issue power transformer, bridge rectifier or power tubes? If any of these are the case how would I go about troubleshooting them?

I found a dead short coming through the output transformer filter cap. I went through continuity tests throughout the amp and the center leg of the transformer went off.

It was one of the jj caps, once I pulled it I ran a capacitance check on both sides and found one side to be bad.

I was able to fix to fix the amp by replacing the filter capacitors. I was just wondering, is there a reason that sectioned capacitors were used?

Back