VH4 or Hagen or Herbert

Lionel Draco

I am sure this question has been asked many many times, but I would like you guys to recommend the amp that you think suits me best, I am new here btw. I am looking for an amp with a great clean channel, think Mark V channel 1 crystal cleans, but I would also like a monster of a high gain tone, something modern sounding, focused with good low end and capable of cutting through the mix very well. I also want it to be able to give good classic rock tones, think Guns and Roses. I was leaning towards the VH4, but I am scared that it will be a very dry sounding amp, I don't really like the dry character, and the clean sounds a bit distorted to my ear, kinda Marshallish, correct me if I am wrong. It would be awesome to hear what you guys think. Please bare with me on my question, as I know this question has been beat to death. And I would appreciate your opinions very much, thanks.

Hi,

I thought the same when i tried the VH4 here in a shop. Years later i bought a Herbert without trying it and thats the only amp i have now.
Amazing clean, rock and metal tone. I love all channels because of the punch, clarity and the Diezelnessss.

The past 2 years i have spent most of my time on the clean channel, its that good. I find it perfect for a crisp, warm, full and jazzy sound.
Channel two with the midcut at a low level and the gain at 50% gives me a fat and warm lead tone and rythem tone.
When i feal i need more articulation present in my sound i use channel 3.

The others will def. chime in and tell you about the other amps.

Good luck and have fun finding your amp.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Vh4 is a dark refined classic marshall sound with diezels singature eq character. Dark and moving air.

Hagen is DARK and FAT. Best for lower tunings but thickens up standard stuff as well. Pretty polarizing, love or hate. If you like bright amps skip this one. More rae than herbie less raw than vh4z

Herbert has headroom like no other, if you use high preamp gain or low channel volume settings this is your beast. More smooth than raw, controlled aggression.

If your looking at these three consider dmoll also. Its like the fourth flagship NOT a lesser starter amp. Yet another flavor that fits inbetween hagen and herbert.

I say get them all, working on my fourth now ;)

Herbert's got one helluva power section...

I love the Hagen, it's greasy and playful as hell.

VH4 has the magical Ch.3 - and don't get me wrong, it's not that the Hagen can't cop the VH4 Ch.3 tone, it's that the Ch.3 on the VH4 has this crazy-ass magical 3D swirling thickness to it (that's found "in the room", so whether or not you're a recording vs play-live kinda guy, this might be a moot point).

They're all awesome. The entire lineage of Diezel kicks ass :rock: :thumbsup:

I had a Hagen, and traded for a D-Moll. Played my old Hagen again recently as a buddy of mine has it, but definitely still prefer the D-Moll. I'd look at that or a Herb for your needs.

I'm blown away every time I play my dmoll. Its got the perfect combo of smoothness and aggression. Sounds really amazing and puts a smile on my face every time I play it.

Back