D-Moll with KT-88's, and preamp tube advice solicited

dirtyfunkg

Anyone done it? Any feedback on how it sounds? Any major caveats?

I've found myself LOVING the Fryette KT-88 powered amplifiers especially of late with the Sig X and Deliverance models. I'm wondering if a set of KT-88's could even further tighten the D-Moll's bottom end while adding a bit more dynamic range on the amp overall, especially in channels 2 and 3. I'd just like to remove a bit of the compression on that end.

Also, any advice on preamp tubes to run? Again, the goal is to "open-up" the amp a little bit. It has more gain than I could ever use on tap already. To be clear, I do love the amp as is, but am simply curious about some lower gain pre-amp tubes in there to see how it would react.

Any suggestions and experience to share?

Peter recommends KT77s for different reasons.
His amps seem not to be designed with KT88s in mind. Fryettes are.
You can always put some Ferrari wheels on your tractor and vice versa.
Do you really think an amp will sound better if you put in tubes that the designer does not put in there?
Do you really think randomly changing tubes will change the character of the amp exactly in that direction that you want?
Probably not. ;)

However, the only person that can give a real answer is Peter.
Maybe you should ask him.

Vin Diezel":1qy69kjd said:
Peter recommends KT77s for different reasons.

Cool. What are they? I haven't seen an explanation. Do you have a link?

You can always put some Ferrari wheels on your tractor and vice versa.
Do you really think an amp will sound better if you put in tubes that the designer does not put in there?

I don't know. Better is subjective, after all. If I knew the answers, why would I ask the question? For all I know, KT-77's were chosen because that's what Peter thought would appeal to most players. Again, if you have a link, I'd love to check it out.

Do you really think randomly changing tubes will change the character of the amp exactly in that direction that you want?
Probably not. ;)

This isn't "randomly" changing tubes, it's rather specific, and if I knew the answer would I be asking? KT-88's in a Marshall take the amp in the direction I'm trying to take my D-Moll, and I've heard of people doing the same thing with a VH-4 with the result being similar to what I seek.

However, the only person that can give a real answer is Peter.
Maybe you should ask him.

Again, that's partially what this board is for, right? He posts here, and this is the official message board. I'm sure he doesn't need some random customers blowing up his inbox to ask him questions for which already at least one person also shares curiosity. That is what this message board is supposed to do.

I don't really see the value you've contributed, though, besides what seems an attempt to belittle. ;)

Diezel D-Moll Manual":3oyl0bzv said:
Diezel Co. installs the most reliable and best sounding tubes that are currently available in sufficient quantities. So it is possible that tube brand and tube type will change during production. You can fine-tune your D-Moll by having different types and brands of tubes installed, however it is imperative that the amp is biased properly. D-Moll utilizes 4 power tubes, organized in 2 pairs with dual bias possibility. This allows use of 2 different pairs of power tubes, either the same or different types.

The Einstein and Herbert are known to sound pretty good with KT88's, and even their manuals indicate this possibility. In fact, from everything I've gathered thus far, Diezel's power tube decisions tend to arise from a combination of economics and tonal quality. KT88's are more expensive tubes and, as I've read Peter write, they don't travel well (more fragile).

I understand what Fryette has written, but it doesn't change the IMHO positive effects of, say, a KT88 in a 2203 circuit vs the EL34. Likewise I have read positive reviews from people who have used the KT88 in their Einsteins and Herberts. A guitar amp not being designed for a tube type, but still being compatible, does not mean that a choice is objectively "better."

Has anyone actually used KT88's in their D-Moll?

Peter has recommended JJ77s
I had that for a year and now have 5881s
I like them both but will likely go back to 77s soon just to mix it up
Never tried 88s

Back