Older (2005) Herbert Question

andrewface

Hi all, new to the forum as I am thinking about picking up my first Diezel and was just looking for some info. I have chance to purchase a used Herbert from 2005. I know (or think) this is one of the earlier production years of this amp. I did some research and besides the external bias change and transformer on the MK 2 everything else is pretty much the same. I guess my question is: is there anything I need to know before taking the plunge into Diezel land and are there any issues with the earlier models I should be aware of? Also how do these things sound on the quieter side of things?

Thanks!

Now I'm torn between a Herbert and Einstein. Obviously the Herbert is the better amp and I would love to try it but it's just so beastly (180watts, 70 pounds, $$$ etc.) thinking the Einstein will suit my needs better and be a great first Diezel to own.

I've had both and I liked the Einstein a lot, I had the 50 Watt one and I thought it was a great little amp, I only let go if it because I got a VH4 and I could not justify that plus the Herbert and the Einstein.

TBH - I'd say try them and see what you think if you can, but you can't really go wrong with either one!

webrthomson":5ykz7kf0 said:
I've had both and I liked the Einstein a lot, I had the 50 Watt one and I thought it was a great little amp, I only let go if it because I got a VH4 and I could not justify that plus the Herbert and the Einstein.

TBH - I'd say try them and see what you think if you can, but you can't really go wrong with either one!

yeah I am leaning toward a 50watt Einstein as it just seems to be more practical for me. I'll mainly be playing at home and in smaller band settings (clubs, pubs). Not really going to have a chance try both since they are both craigslist deals.

I've only played VH4s and an Einstein, but whatever the year of manufacturer they sound great. I wouldn't worry about it.

And they sound really good at lower volumes too.

Back