New cabinet/ speakers, fl vs rl, greenback vs g12-65 heritag

Carlito

Hey guys,

I'm running a vh4 through a Diezel 412 fl with v30s. The cabinet is roughly six to seven years old.
Three years ago I swapped out g12k100 for the v30 to get more dirt. That worked pretty well.
Today, this setup sounds too harsh, focused and stiff to me.
I want - again - more dirt and more rockness. Maybe best destribed as more open, rawer, more growl.
A couple of days ago I had the chance to test all kinds of amps a pretty nice range of cabs. Thr Bogner 412 loaded with v30 was advertised as the best cabinet in the room. Sounded like crap to me - having similar issues like mine. Then I tested a greenback cab which was better but - still for some reasons I didn' further investigated - didn't cut it.
The salesman brought in his old and worn out marshall cab with a greenback/ v30 x-pattern mix.
That was really awesome. The speakers sort of combined the best of the two worlds. Nice cut and growl, woody and punchy. Really cool.
Now the thing is, the marshall cab was rear loaded...my cab is front loaded.
So now my first question is if you have any experience with greenback/v30 mix in front loaded cabs.
Does it work and produce the growl punchyness besides being more open and less focused or will I need a rearloaded cab?

The next thing is that I was told to give the g12-65 heritages a try...they're supposed to be more balanced, not having the honky nose of rhe greenbacks while maintaining great bass, punch and growl.
Never found anything really reliable on that topic on the web.
They're way pricier than greenbacks and since there are very little soundfiles on those speakers I'm really hesitating. Although the soundfiles I found sound pretty promising (meaning the speaker for itself...not in a v30 mix).

Looking forward to your input.

Best, Carlito.

PS Sorry for strange English - it's not my native tongue.

I had some g12-65's from the 80's mixed with v30's in a RL orange cab. It was one of my fav setups with the vh4. I only pulled the 65s because they need repair, but Im happy with all v30s too.

Thanks Slyvren,

that sounds good to me.
Did you also have the v30/greenback mix? Would be great if you could say something about that (or the contrast/differences), too.

I tried greenback/v30 and didnt like it. V30s drown out the greenbacks too much in my experience. Might be awesome with a different cab, but I really dig the 65s over greenbacks anyways.

Keep in mind the 65s (well broken in) are fairly dark speakers compared to v30. I think they compliment eachother well. It adds a smoothness to the v30 cut.

Haven't heard them in person is making this a tough call.
I guess that the 65 might fit me quite well.
Could you give it a try and describe the tonal differences between the two cab mixtures in terms of punch, grind growl, bass, stiffness, rockness etc.
Thanks for all your help slyvren!

Easier for me to compare each to all v30 cab.

Best description i can give is v30/gb is like a slightly honkier less bassy not as loud v30 cab.

65/30 is like a more balanced and smoother v30 cab. It takes some of the rip you head off mids and smooths it out. Still cuts though. Slightly looser than v30s alone. Id say less aggressive, but more vocal.

Keep in mind your actual cab will play a huge variable. Id look for some used speakers.

My suggestion is either:
Buy a pair of each and try em both. Keep the winners and sell the others.
Or:
Buy the greenbacks. You know you liked it when you tried it. If you're unhappy resale and try again or maybe try a RL cab instead.

Thanks again!
Will have a look for used speakers but I believe nothing much around here in Germoney concerning 65s.
Since my cab is frontloaded I guess that it might still be too focused...but we'll see.
Maybe gonna have a meeting with a friend of mine who has a really old Marshall rearloded cab. Maybe that's gonna help a little.
I'm concerned that I lose too much dirt with the 65 in contrast to the 65....

Back