D Moll with 6L6 JJ's

WilliamB

I just picked up a used D Moll that is loaded with 6L6's instead of the KT77's that it should have come loaded with. The amp sounds really great and I intend to get a set of JJ KT77's. It sounds great at bedroom volumes and has great presence and clarity. I have owned Einstein 50, VH4, Herbert and Hagen. All great amps but I have to tell you that this is my favorite yet and I just got a Diezel 2x12 cab from Music 123 and they were made for each other!! It is a model 212FK serial01160101 and I assume it is the G12K100's based on the FK suffix. Is that correct?
Also, I don't see the tube layouts on the Diezel site for the Hagen and DMoll but all the other heads are there. Can someone clarify what they are?
I am a new member here and am happy to be part of it.
Do the KT77's sound much different than the 6L6's? ASnyone switched them out?
Best Regards!!!

Never tried the Dmoll but have VH4 and Herbert
I may be the odd one but JJ 6L6's are my favourite all round tube in both these Diezel Amps.
I've tried just about everything.

For Singing leads JJ El34 sound best but for versatility, cut, cleans, and mid gain sounds the 6L6's rule.

As for the KT 77's, maybe they're reliable but, I can't really stand them. They sound stiff and synthetic and not in a good way like 6550's

Just how I see it.

I personally don't like 6L6's in basically anything. I even yank them out of my dual/triple recs and replace them with EL34's. My VH4 had original Ruby 6L6's in it and I pulled them and put a quad of KT88's in it. Sounded better to me. I've never had a Dmoll, but I just always find 6L6's to sound flat. 34's and 77's sound much more lively to my ears, with 77's having a lot of headroom that can clean up a fizzy amp.

RJF":n9ji3h1v said:
I personally don't like 6L6's in basically anything. I even yank them out of my dual/triple recs and replace them with EL34's. My VH4 had original Ruby 6L6's in it and I pulled them and put a quad of KT88's in it. Sounded better to me. I've never had a Dmoll, but I just always find 6L6's to sound flat. 34's and 77's sound much more lively to my ears, with 77's having a lot of headroom that can clean up a fizzy amp.

Not trying to defend my position - we all hear differently!
I do find JJ's 6L6 to be unique among the other brands.
It isn't as glassy sounding as a typical 6L6 and has more midrange.
Kind of a 6L6 for Rock.

Just retubed my VH4 with JJ 6l6 and could not be happier. Great headroom and bite. Previously had JJ KT 77.

ProgFree":2n9wec8z said:
Just retubed my VH4 with JJ 6l6 and could not be happier. Great headroom and bite. Previously had JJ KT 77.
6L6 power tubes sound best in any Fender amp. 6L6 power tubes are more designed for blues and if you want "bite" either enlist a vampire or switch to EL34s.

Welcome aboard!
That says quite a bit if your liking the Dmoll better than the other Diezels you've owned. I had a Herbert for a little over a month, but it had issues and I had to return it. Really liked it but would like to try some other Diezels.

WilliamB":1h29cci9 said:
I just picked up a used D Moll that is loaded with 6L6's instead of the KT77's that it should have come loaded with. The amp sounds really great and I intend to get a set of JJ KT77's. It sounds great at bedroom volumes and has great presence and clarity. I have owned Einstein 50, VH4, Herbert and Hagen. All great amps but I have to tell you that this is my favorite yet and I just got a Diezel 2x12 cab from Music 123 and they were made for each other!! It is a model 212FK serial01160101 and I assume it is the G12K100's based on the FK suffix. Is that correct?
Also, I don't see the tube layouts on the Diezel site for the Hagen and DMoll but all the other heads are there. Can someone clarify what they are?
Best Regards!!!

How would you describe the dmoll as being different than the other Diezels ?

rickenbacker198":4r7f6iqj said:
WilliamB":4r7f6iqj said:
Best Regards!!!

How would you describe the dmoll as being different than the other Diezels ?

Dmoll is like a baby herbert in terms of the hifi thing it has going on. Einy was like baby vh4, fokker is like a hifi vh4/herbie mix. Hagen is more raw than herbie but less constrained then vh4.

Scuba.Duba":17b49617 said:
ProgFree":17b49617 said:
6L6 power tubes sound best in any Fender amp. 6L6 power tubes are more designed for blues and if you want "bite" either enlist a vampire or switch to EL34s.

This is why people now are starting to play more and more synth instead of electric guitar...

ProgFree":4v58zgnf said:
Scuba.Duba":4v58zgnf said:
ProgFree":4v58zgnf said:

This is why people now are starting to play more and more synth instead of electric guitar...
They too most likely eat all their meals at Denny's. $2, $4 & $6 . . .

Yeah, trying to figure those pesky "circle of 5ths" can be a real pain . . . just hit any synth button and sit back and chow down some Orville Redenbacher's while watching "Days of Our Lives ". :)

Back