Einstein Trouble -solved-

tom.earthwalker

hello all Diezel friends,
I'm a new user (a long time reader though) and would like to ask a question about my wonderful Einstein 100w head, maybe you guys know what is wrong with it. I bought my Einstein 4-5 years ago from a nice guy in Holland and never looked back since, this is my amp :) Had it retubed once. Life was good.
This autumn all of a sudden the Einstein stopped sounding like heaven and took a volume bump up before giving up: it suddenly sounded like MDF compared to cedar, no grain, loss of any texture and character, unuseful feedback, just late 80ies cheap solid state-like cardboard distortion one wants to shut off as quickly as possible. I took it to a repair guy. When I got there it sounded OK and the guy asked "what's wrong with it? sounds good?" I felt a bit silly, told him what went wrong, and he decided to retube.
I got it back and after an initial 15m back in heaven, I could hear some problems were still there. Then I took it to rehearsal this weekend, and it was acceptable at first but unusable pretty soon afterwards: the FX-loop had too much volume at first, too little later, the amp was sounding way too harsh and my mates asked me to roll it back. But I was at 9-10% of the master volume knob, 50% on the volume, 50% on the gain; usually that means too low on volume. The master volume reacted too heavily when I touched it, impossible to find a good position. Then I tried to crank it just to see what happened, but anything above 25% was just crackling and oscillating noises. After 1h30 of rehearsal the mdf sound was back and decided to end the session. Anybody had this happen to him before? What could be done about it?
I tried different guitars too, as I feel like my BK humbucker did not install correctly. But problem's the same. I play on an Avatar 16ohm 4x12 V30
I love the Einstein amp and wish to play it for many more years.

Trouble solved, it was a bad output transformer.
Great many thanks to Peter, who took it upon him to repair my amp. Within a couple weeks after I sent it, I plugged the Einstein back in and it rawks like never before.
It is a wonderful feeling to be able to count on the Creator who looks after his children!!
Diezel forever!

Back