Channel Inserts

Lionel Draco

I have a VH4, and would like to get a footswitch for my Diezel, I am looking to get a Columbus to go with the VH4. I would like to ask if the Columbus can do stuff like the RJM Mastermind PBC? What I mean by that is, I would like to dedicate certain pedals like delay to channel 3 and reverb to channel 1, so when I switch channels on my VH4 it also engages the pedals that I have dedicated to each channel, so no tap dancing etc. Alternatively, can I dedicate certain effects like say Reverb and Phaser to Channel 1 and Delay to Channel 3 using the Channel Inserts? So when I switch channels on the amp, the pedals that I have dedicated to the respective channels are also present sound wise. What for and how do I use the Channel Inserts on the VH4?

What exactly are you trying to control? If you take a regular analog pedal and run it through the insert of a channel and turn the pedal on, it will be on and running when you switch to that channel. I don't believe you can midi control and turn off/on the channel inserts themselves. If you want to turn the effects on and off, you are better using the switchable loop or getting something like a GCX switcher that allows you to run your pedals through that and midi turn them on and off. Columbus will control all midi functions available on the VH4.

After re reading sounds like you don't completely understand how the channel inserts work. The VH4 essentially has 6 fx loops. First is a serial loop in between the power amp and preamp. This is not switchable on/off ( I wish it was). I run this loop through a GCX switcher so that I can have it switchable. Second loop is a parallel loop also between power and preamp sections. This one is switchable via midi. I personally don't like this loop. The other 4 loops are the channel insert loops and they are routed through each corresponding channel within the preamp itself. So, if you want reverb on ch1, you run your send/return cables from ch1 loop out to your reverb pedal. Assuming the pedal is on, everytime you go to ch1 you will have reverb through ch1 and ch1 only. The channel inserts have no effect on the sound of any of the other 3 channels that doesn't correspond with that particular loop.

Lets also say you wanted that reverb pedal to be accessible to all channels, or you simply wanted the ability to turn it on and off via midi. You would want to use the parallel loop that is switchable via midi through the amp. With this loop having the reverb pedal, all channels will be effected by the reverb pedal. But, you can midi program the loop to turn on and off depending on what channel the amp is on. That works great if you only have one FX pedal, but when you create a train with multiple pedals now they are all on, or all off.

This is where switching fx's with no tap dancing through midi becomes a bit more involved. The simplest route (my preferred way) is to go to a quality rack processor for FX. I use a TC Electronic G Force. Now all my effects are controlled through midi since almost all rack processors are midi capable. With a rack processor, there is no reason to use the channel inserts, just the main switchable loop that allows you to have the processor either in or out of the signal chain. For guys that have to stick to analog pedals, a switcher needs to come into play. This is where the channel inserts COULD work, but without them being midi switchable you are really limited on the control of your rig. Again, a switcher lets you then completely take control of everything, when analog gear is a must. I use the GCX system personally.
http://www.voodoolab.com/gcx.htm

Here's the schematic to my rig pictured in my avatar. Since everything is midi controlled and I'm using a rack processor, it's actually really simple. I'm only running one analog pedal, which is a boost between the guitar and preamps of both amps.

IMG_zpsy2xbghbe.jpg

Back