Hagen loop order of operation

So here is what I want to do.

Run an EQ pedal in the serial loop. This will be always on.

Then, run my G-Major 2 through the switchable/parallel loop.

My questions is does anyone know how the Hagen routes it's loops? My hope is that everything will pass through the serial loop -> EQ pedal and the EQ signal will be sent out the switchable loop.

What I don't want is the loops to run equally. Meaning I don't want my signal to split and only part of it to be EQ'd.

Not sure if this is possible or if the G-Major has a hard bypass.

Thanks,
Donnie

If memory serves the Hagen and Herbert both have a switchable serial loop, the parallel loop is not. The VH4, on the other hand, is opposite of that. I prefer the serial loop being switchable, and I could never get the parallel loop to work right with my GM2 anyway.

So what if I run the GM2 through the switchable loop (non parallel) and run the EQ through the serial loop. I am curious if the signal would pass though the switchable first and then the serial.

I have an email sent to Diezel but I am not sure when I will hear back. I am trying to keep from having the GM2 on all the time. I worry it will sap my tone which is why I was going to switch it on and off and run it parallel with the EQ running all the time on the main signal.

I am reading now to see if the GM2 has an internal hard bypass. I know there is a button on the front but being able to control it from a midi switch would be ideal.

You are making it more complicated than it is.

You have a non switchable parallel loop, a serial loop, and a switchable serial loop. So run your EQ in the NON switchable serial loop. The signal chain will always go through your EQ that way, as long as 1/4" jacks are plugged into that NON switchable serial loop.

Then, run your GM2 through the SWITCHABLE serial loop. When you want the GM2 out of the signal chain, SWITCH the switchable loop OFF. That will completely remove it from everything. That is WHY you have a switchable loop so that you can go completely dry if need be. Regardless of what order the loops may be in, as long as you use the two serial loops, 100% of the signal will go through the EQ pedal and there will be little to no effect tone wise if it's before or after the GM2 that is being switched in and out of the signal chain.

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. Yeah this is my first midi anything. After 20+ years of playing it is my first effects anything. I have never even run pedals before.

Thanks again,
Donnie

Id still use the parallel unless you wanted to use ALL of the gm2 effects. You route the switchable loop send to the parallel return.

Kill dry will need to be on and you'll lose some of the fx as they can't be used parallel.

Doesn't the gmajor2 have eq also? I remember it having it.

Could just use it in serial loop for always on though I wouldn't personally.

moltenmetalburn":2hdzph9p said:
Id still use the parallel unless you wanted to use ALL of the gm2 effects. You route the switchable loop send to the parallel return.

Kill dry will need to be on and you'll lose some of the fx as they can't be used parallel.

Maybe I'm dumb, but I could never get my GM2 or G Force for that matter, to work right with the parallel loop. I had volume issues, FX issues, and said "screw this loop" and went back to serial. I then just adjust the intensity of the effects to the over all tone from the GM2.

I wouldn't use the on board EQ of the GM2, because then it would have to be on all the time. I do notice a considerable tonal coloration on rhythm playing with the TC units on, enough that it's best to switch them out of the chain and just go completely dry dry when playing crunchy rhythms. For me anyway.

donniecrump":15oiqaie said:
So what if I run the GM2 through the switchable loop (non parallel) and run the EQ through the serial loop. I am curious if the signal would pass though the switchable first and then the serial.

I have an email sent to Diezel but I am not sure when I will hear back. I am trying to keep from having the GM2 on all the time. I worry it will sap my tone which is why I was going to switch it on and off and run it parallel with the EQ running all the time on the main signal.

I am reading now to see if the GM2 has an internal hard bypass. I know there is a button on the front but being able to control it from a midi switch would be ideal.

Serial switchable loop before serial non switchable loop ..... parallel loop is parallel to non switchable loop.
Use switchable send and parallel return to switch the parallel loop.

Btw, I got your email. Hope this helps.

Best,
Peter

RJF":hi8o9ojg said:
moltenmetalburn":hi8o9ojg said:

Maybe I'm dumb, but I could never get my GM2 or G Force for that matter, to work right with the parallel loop. I had volume issues, FX issues, and said "screw this loop" and went back to serial. I then just adjust the intensity of the effects to the over all tone from the GM2.

I wouldn't use the on board EQ of the GM2, because then it would have to be on all the time. I do notice a considerable tonal coloration on rhythm playing with the TC units on, enough that it's best to switch them out of the chain and just go completely dry dry when playing crunchy rhythms. For me anyway.

Yeah not sure what he's doing with the eq? Shaping amp tone or per preset stuff.

The unit was quirky and annoying, I got rid of mine fast. It sucked tone and never sounded all that stellar to me.

Too many compromises, a multi fx processor IMO MUST be capable of pre and post preamp routings or by going multi you lose fx or sound quality.

Parallel loops are not easy to get set up properly but when they are they sound superior for obvious reasons.

Just trying to EQ the entire amp and blend in/turn on off the G-Major 2 (that has also been EQ'd). The G-Major is not going to see a ton of use which is why I am avoiding pedals.

I think the way to go may be an ABY box or a splitter. Or .. possibly buy a second EQ pedal and put it in front of the G-Major.

Now that I have the way the loops function I should be able to get something to work.

donniecrump":pq7s0n14 said:
Just trying to EQ the entire amp and blend in/turn on off the G-Major 2 (that has also been EQ'd). The G-Major is not going to see a ton of use which is why I am avoiding pedals.

I think the way to go may be an ABY box or a splitter. Or .. possibly buy a second EQ pedal and put it in front of the G-Major.

Now that I have the way the loops function I should be able to get something to work.

given peters answer, your best best is to put an eq in the serial loop and the g major in the switchable serial loop. the parallel loop is parallel to the non switchable so it would cause the EQ issues youre trying to avoid.

Back