Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Apr 27, 2017 5:34pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 18, 2017 12:08pm 
Hack

Hey guys, for those that have a Herbert, is the volume in channel 1 lower than channel 2 and 3 at the same volume know positions? I've had some problems with my Herbert (losing volume and sound turning muddy after a few minutes of playing, especially after changing channels), after testing extensively (tubes, sockets, inputs, loops, cables) the sound has now stabilized with new power tubes and the original preamp tubes, except v4 because that one broke. I'm reluctant to switch preamp tubes again because I did a lot of swapping during the testing and it didn't solve the problem. Now at least the sound is stable I would rather leave it this way. But am wondering about the volume difference though.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 18, 2017 12:17pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

More headroom, but less loudness.
I always run the clean volume up because it doesn't have a gain control.
My Hagen clean does have volume and gain so the volume position isn't as radically different

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 18, 2017 12:24pm 
Hack

So do you have to set your channel 1 volume higher to have the same volume across all channels? I need to set my channel 1 volume about 15-20% higher.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 20, 2017 4:08pm 
Hack

the clean channel on my herbert is actually louder than channels 2 and 3 when set at the exact same channel volume level.

PostPosted: Tue, Mar 21, 2017 9:37pm 
Plank Cranker

Sounds like a bad preamp tube.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), TMM (S: Celestion G12T75 speakers), talltxguy (S: Mesa power tubes), and many more.