Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Mar 22, 2017 11:23pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 24, 2017 2:30pm 
Supah Stah

So I am looking for something new. Most of my amps are in the hot rodded Marshall camp.

Currently have:
• Friedman Pink Taco
• Splawn Quick Rod (Low B+)
• Fryette Deliverance 120
• Henning Bottle Rocket

I am looking for something aggressive but most importantly NOT Marshall flavored. I like what I have heard from the Paul and Hagen. Also interested in the new VH2. I am looking for something to cover sounds from modern Power Metal like Primal Fear to heavier stuff like Legion Of The Damned

Thanks!

Like Coffee? Like Pedals and amps? Like General Jackassery???

Check out "Dunky's N' Demos at:

https://www.facebook.com/dunkysndemos
https://www.youtube.com/c/JeremyVarao

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 24, 2017 3:17pm 
Hack

JerEvil wrote:
So I am looking for something new. Most of my amps are in the hot rodded Marshall camp.

Currently have:
• Friedman Pink Taco
• Henning Bottle Rocket

I am looking for something aggressive but most importantly NOT Marshall flavored. I like what I have heard from the Paul and Hagen. Also interested in the new VH2. I am looking for something to cover sounds from modern Power Metal like Primal Fear to heavier stuff like Legion Of The Damned

Thanks!

That's not quite my genre, but the Hagen could be just right for you.
If you're also a bit into classic rock/new wave of british heavy metal, you might want to chek out the D-Moll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yr6pv_RaKE

Also the Einstein, which you can't buy new anymore, could do your job:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zis1wX0Bocw

Make sure you're running a proper cabinet :)

Marshall 2061-CX Cabinet
Charvel So Cal MIJ
Gibson SG Faded
Epiphone Les Paul AFD

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 24, 2017 3:28pm 
Supah Stah

sourkraut wrote:
JerEvil wrote:

Currently have:
• Friedman Pink Taco
• Henning Bottle Rocket

Thanks!

That's not quite my genre, but the Hagen could be just right for you.
If you're also a bit into classic rock/new wave of british heavy metal, you might want to chek out the D-Moll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yr6pv_RaKE

Also the Einstein, which you can't buy new anymore, could do your job:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zis1wX0Bocw

Make sure you're running a proper cabinet :)

Covered on the cab front (2x Splawn 212's with Creamback 65's and Marshall MF400 w/K100's...)

Checking out some Hagen vids now...

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 12:16am 
Supah Stah

JerEvil wrote:

Currently have:
• Friedman Pink Taco
• Henning Bottle Rocket

Thanks!

I would actually say the new VH2 or Big Max. You obviously like stripped down simple amps from your list and both of those fit that bill, especially Big Max that I am betting is going to be a killer little amp for the money.

If you are wanting bells and whistles I would say a VH4 or Hagen. They will sound way different from what you have yet still be very aggressive. Herbert and Dmoll are probably too "polished" and modern 7 string metal for what you are after.

I agree with the cab, I'd get a different cab. Creambacks are not very metal and I personally don't like K100's at all. That, and your cabs are all rear loaded. Might want to think about a Diezel FL, VHT Fatbottom, ENGL, or a newer Uberkab to name a few. V30's are your friend. Not to mention, a new cab will really help get you a new sound. I've found when trying to test many heads through the same cab, they all quickly become a blur and sound really close. The cab makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 12:28pm 
Supah Stah

RJF wrote:
JerEvil wrote:

Currently have:
• Friedman Pink Taco
• Henning Bottle Rocket

Thanks!

I would actually say the new VH2 or Big Max. You obviously like stripped down simple amps from your list and both of those fit that bill, especially Big Max that I am betting is going to be a killer little amp for the money.

If you are wanting bells and whistles I would say a VH4 or Hagen. They will sound way different from what you have yet still be very aggressive. Herbert and Dmoll are probably too "polished" and modern 7 string metal for what you are after.

I agree with the cab, I'd get a different cab. Creambacks are not very metal and I personally don't like K100's at all. That, and your cabs are all rear loaded. Might want to think about a Diezel FL, VHT Fatbottom, ENGL, or a newer Uberkab to name a few. V30's are your friend. Not to mention, a new cab will really help get you a new sound. I've found when trying to test many heads through the same cab, they all quickly become a blur and sound really close. The cab makes a big difference.

I think we may disagree on the Creamback thing. I play lots of metal (InFlames, Destruction, Behemoth) and I feel they hold up pretty well. Also, doesn't Diezel ship 4x12's with K100's? I would assume the MF cab would be a solid fit for the Diezel stuff. Not trying to be snarky at all.

I do agree that many high gain amps through the same cab will start to sound the same so I am not opposed to the idea of something different. Definitely don't want too polished of an amp. Want it to be as aggressive and pissed as possible. Both the VH4 and Hagen look awesome. I dabble in Death Metal like Zyklon, Hate, Lost Soul, Vader but am more at home with thrash and power metal.

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 1:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

JerEvil wrote:
RJF wrote:
JerEvil wrote:

Currently have:
• Friedman Pink Taco
• Henning Bottle Rocket

Thanks!

I think we may disagree on the Creamback thing. I play lots of metal (InFlames, Destruction, Behemoth) and I feel they hold up pretty well. Also, doesn't Diezel ship 4x12's with K100's? I would assume the MF cab would be a solid fit for the Diezel stuff. Not trying to be snarky at all.

I do agree that many high gain amps through the same cab will start to sound the same so I am not opposed to the idea of something different. Definitely don't want too polished of an amp. Want it to be as aggressive and pissed as possible. Both the VH4 and Hagen look awesome. I dabble in Death Metal like Zyklon, Hate, Lost Soul, Vader but am more at home with thrash and power metal.

V30s are THE speaker for Diezels, IMO. My D-Moll sounded pretty lackluster through the Whitebox 212 I had loaded with G12M-65s. I would throw in a recommendation for the Lil Fokker too. I loved that amp.

Guitars:
2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Faded Cherry
2017 Gibson Les Paul Classic - Goldtop

Bass:
Fender Jazz 5 String

Maps:
Ceriatone JCM 800 2204

Cabs:
Marshall 1960B (G12H-75)

10100010101:
Eleven Rack

Good Peeps: Dooredge, Inca Roads

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 3:58pm 
Hack

Jup.
V30s and front loading is the magic for me.
Give it a shot!

Marshall 2061-CX Cabinet
Charvel So Cal MIJ
Gibson SG Faded
Epiphone Les Paul AFD

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 25, 2017 4:36pm 
Supah Stah

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 03, 2017 11:26am 
Hack

I would say try a Herbert. I am biased because I own one but truly astounding in all aspects.

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 06, 2017 3:29pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've been very happy with K100's with just about everything except my 2203. It's been particularly good with my D-Moll. I have a VHT Fatbottom 412 with P50E's and K100's in an X pattern, a Genz Benz G-Flex with K85's (same as K100's), and a Mills Mach 212B with V30's. The Genz Benz cab sounds best with the Diezel--even better than the Fatbottom.

Amps:
Diezel D-Moll
Fryette Sig X
VHT Pittbull Classic
Marshall JMP 2203 (1977)

Guitars:
custom LP style
custom Warmoth/Allparts Stratocaster (1950's spec)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Platinum
Edwards LP Custom style
Fender MIJ Stratocaster (1987)
Squier/Kramer/EMG Partscaster

PostPosted: Mon, Mar 06, 2017 4:47pm 
Rock God

Dmoll or herbert.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78

WTF you reading this tiny shit for anyway?

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 08, 2017 8:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

dirtyfunkg wrote:
I've been very happy with K100's with just about everything except my 2203. It's been particularly good with my D-Moll. I have a VHT Fatbottom 412 with P50E's and K100's in an X pattern, a Genz Benz G-Flex with K85's (same as K100's), and a Mills Mach 212B with V30's. The Genz Benz cab sounds best with the Diezel--even better than the Fatbottom.

-SHHHHHHHH!!!-the G-FLEX cabs are almost under the radar right now!! I'm gonna buy them all and corner the market!!!