How heavy the Paul can get? Help me decide! :)

Altamir

Hello, new here! :rock:

I want to replace my Laney VH100R, trying to solve my complaints with it:

1 - Loud as hell. hard to get great distorted tones out of it live (mic'ed).
2 - Even though it has 2 channels with 4 modes, they are poorly balanced. The clean crunch lacks gain range and punch and the lead channel is useless to me without the boost. The boost doesn't have an independent volume, so you're stuck with 3 useable tones. I find I have to max the gain to get a decent heavy tone out of it.

I'm interested in the Paul, but there is aren't many videos about it and I'm not sure if I should choose the D-Moll instead. "Metal" Paul videos on Youtube are very low quality and it's hard to tell. I don't really know how different the Diezel and the Paul are sound-wise.

These days I don't play anything heavier than Metallica live, but I wouldn't like to rule off being able to play metal in the future (you never know), and I really want this amp to stay with me for a long time. I'm not sure if the Paul can get heavy enough to play metal with passive pickups, but I'd definetely prefer a more classic, "lively" vibe and the clean and crunch channel of the Paul sound great in the videos. Just very little information about its lead channel and which amp is based of...

I hope you guys can help me out to decide which one to get! :confused:

Back