Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Apr 27, 2017 5:40pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: VH4 and pickups?
PostPosted: Wed, Mar 15, 2017 10:04pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I'm a new VH4 owner - 2006 EL34, with front loaded v30 2x12 and 4x12 Diezel cabs...

I just got the 4x12 today, and hooked it all up... I have 3 guitars..

Friedman Vintage T - with custom Friedman pickups (motor city?) - alder body and maple neck...
PRS Signature Limited - Mahogany body/neck, maple cap, indian rosewood board - PRS 408 pickups
PRS Custom 24 - Wood library - Korina body and neck, maple top, ebony board with BKP Mules

Going off channel 3 alone... The Friedman sounds the best by far... just killer.
The Custom 24, didn't have near the clarity... maybe it was the settings, but it sounded muddy...
Similar results, but a little bit clearer with the other PRS.

I would think, with the friedman and bkp mules being PAFish, that they'd be close in sound (though there is the wood difference) ...

I consider the VH4 a pretty modern sounding amp, I always have been a fan of using lower gain pickups, and then using more gain on the amp, than having higher output pickups.. I'm not sure how the friedmans measure, but the 408 and mules aren't super hot..

in your guys experience does the VH4 prefer higher output pickups? any suggestions are great.. I just really love my PRS guitars, and can't get them sounding near as good as the Friedman...

also, side note, i have a light crackle on channel 1 alone.. other channels are nice and quiet.

Thoughts? opinions?

Thanks!

PRS Signature Limited
Friedman Vintage T
PRS Custom 24 - wood library
Diezel VH4
Diezel FL-412
Diezel FL-212

Good deals with:
Cujo, tuckerbomb, engage757,sahlomonic, Rayneman, jc986, gtrlover, Braciola, adam of angels

Post subject: Re: VH4 and pickups?
PostPosted: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 10:33am 
Journeyman NOOB

Hard to say anything without having heard the amp in question, but it's worth pointing out that the Diezel sound has more bass and low mids than any other.
A PRS which sounds fat will sound even fatter. If you are accustomed to other amps, it may take a while to get used to the sound.
At least that was my experience.
Whenever I switch on another amp now, I always ask myself where all the low end has gone. Our ears and brain get so used to the things we hear.
What we listen to all the time, sounds right after a while.

I have Dimarzio PAFs in my guitars. Those are low output and rather bright.

If there is crackling, I'd replace the tubes, not pickups. ;)

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 1:09pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I like stuff around the 13k mark myself as far as pickup winds go, not really an accurate measurement of output though. A lot of it depends on the guitar too really. One thing you will notice with a diezel whatever that guitar is putting out will be exacerbated 5 fold because of their natural compression.

PostPosted: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 1:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Which is what tends to turn a lot of guys away... me I love it.

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 17, 2017 4:06am 
Diezel Amplification

exbest182 wrote:
I'm a new VH4 owner - 2006 EL34, with front loaded v30 2x12 and 4x12 Diezel cabs...

I just got the 4x12 today, and hooked it all up... I have 3 guitars..

Friedman Vintage T - with custom Friedman pickups (motor city?) - alder body and maple neck...
PRS Signature Limited - Mahogany body/neck, maple cap, indian rosewood board - PRS 408 pickups
PRS Custom 24 - Wood library - Korina body and neck, maple top, ebony board with BKP Mules

Going off channel 3 alone... The Friedman sounds the best by far... just killer.
The Custom 24, didn't have near the clarity... maybe it was the settings, but it sounded muddy...
Similar results, but a little bit clearer with the other PRS.

I would think, with the friedman and bkp mules being PAFish, that they'd be close in sound (though there is the wood difference) ...

I consider the VH4 a pretty modern sounding amp, I always have been a fan of using lower gain pickups, and then using more gain on the amp, than having higher output pickups.. I'm not sure how the friedmans measure, but the 408 and mules aren't super hot..

in your guys experience does the VH4 prefer higher output pickups? any suggestions are great.. I just really love my PRS guitars, and can't get them sounding near as good as the Friedman...

also, side note, i have a light crackle on channel 1 alone.. other channels are nice and quiet.

Thoughts? opinions?

Thanks!

Please send an email to service (at) diezelamplification (dot) com

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 17, 2017 11:28am 
Rock God

No diezels only like moderate boosting comparatively, ive even easily wound up in a fuzzy blocking sort of distortion.
This is my experience after boosting and playing many pickups and guitars through the five models I have owned.

So if using an OD you wont need high outputs, if not a medium output 10-12k is what most people prefer to retain dynamic and clarity and add some heat.

As for the tone, well matching the pickup to the guitar and then the amp is always a case by case balancing act.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78

WTF you reading this tiny shit for anyway?

PostPosted: Fri, Mar 17, 2017 7:37pm 
Journeyman NOOB

For my ears , I dig the VH4 with PRS Mcarty pickups.
HB OR SC they're highly versatile with this amp.

For a bit more definition the JB/Jazz combo sounds great as well.

PostPosted: Wed, Mar 22, 2017 10:12am 
Apprentice NOOB

I usually use medium to medium high output pickups (BKP black dog, rebel yell, emerald, and PRS 57/08) and that seems to be the sweet spot for my VH4 I would have the amp checked out if you are getting mud with mules. Those are lower output, slightly scooped, and should have enough high end from the scatter/hand wind to retain clarity.