Herbert owners (tubes)

bionicmark

For those of you that own a Herbert, which power tubes are you using?

KT77's or EL34L's? If you've tried both, which tubes produced what sounds and which did you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

ps. Mine currently has EL34's but I was thinking of putting in the factory spec'd KT77's

I'm using a blend of 4 6l6s and 2 EL34s. Sounds great. Thinking about going all 6l6 for the smoothness.

El34. Don't care for 6l6 amps. Just a preference I guess but I'll be retubing my Herbert with TAD el34s here shortly.

KT77's sound great. I can't stand 6L6's, they are dark and smooth on top of an amp that is already smooth and polished sounding. I like the stock KT77's in the Diezels, and a lot of amps actually.

Some EL34's can add some unwanted compression, but also bring in a bit of "grit" compared to KT77's as 77's deliver really clean power and can clean up an overly fizzy amp. E34L's just have an extended low end and the Herbert is not short on low end to begin with.

Thank you guys for all the feedback. It has EL34's in it now.

I was looking for something that wouldn't make the tone not so "soft".

I like a fast pick attack and a stiffer feel. I'm wondering if the Herbert is for me? : /

bionicmark":2mizvmqw said:
Thank you guys for all the feedback. It has EL34's in it now.

I was looking for something that wouldn't make the tone not so "soft".

I like a fast pick attack and a stiffer feel. I'm wondering if the Herbert is for me? : /

EL34: crunchy, aggressive mid-voicing. Marshall-like tone & feel. Adds some compression, not as tight bottom end.
KT77: more modern sound, adds more high-end, and definitely more bottom, slightly mid-scooped, less compressed.
KT88: really open, least compressed tube around, not a very smooth breakup, super tight bottom, clear, articulate, tight... emphasis on high and low end. Bright, clear, chimey cleans.
6550: open, crunchy, like a combo of EL34 & KT88 (closer to the KT88)... smoother/sweeter distorted sound compared to KT88s... really tight bottom end, with added low-end chunk. Not as good clean tones as a KT88.
6L6GC: mid-scooped, nice high-end... not as tight in the lows as KT88/6550... but better than EL34 and more open sounding and less compressed. Best for cleans and mild crunch.

I've tried all of them. I like KT77s & EL34s best. 6550s are cool too.

Try KT88s or 6550s. These are the tightest most articulate sounding. Caution: These are not recommended by Diezel, so do so at your own risk. They work, but can get hot.

Also, check out a VH4. It's the tightest, most articulate sounding Diezel... but does so with the help of some compression on channels 3/4.

I like the E34L's beside having more grind than the KT77 there 's a "pop" in the single notes that's not there with the 77's. However having said that the 77's are great tubes and the way I'd go if the JJ's weren't around or stupid expensive.

I just ordered a sixtet JJ KT77. The e34L was €3,- cheaper per tube. Being a EL34 guy I decided to go with Peter's choice. I should have retubed a long time ago. Due to work i didnt get the time yet and even forgot to order the power tubes. Well, having a long weekend i thought i would have some guitar time, my sound was so bad i played unplugged. Now i hope i have the tubes tomorrow so i can enjoy my beast of an amp once again!

Yesterday night i retubed the Herbert as Peter suggested(power and preamp). Before i had Ruby E34L.

I didnt get to play that much but this is how i found the KT77 and preamp tubes compared to what i had:
-Clean was cleaner and this channel really benefits!
-Ch2 and Ch3 had a bit less mid range, more open sounding, more punch and depth, more pressence in a good way, better articulation, a bit less smoother and a rich dynamic response.

Keep in mind that my tubes had no life so these brought the amp to life again.

Overall i liked them more and im looking forward in playing again.

Other things i noticed with these tubes:
I dailed in more gain but the notes stayed thick, their was less compression, something i wanted for a long time. With my former tubes i never whent past
o'clock on ch.2.
My amp is way louder, the master knobs go from silent to pretty loud compared to what i was used to.

I like em, im happy with my choice and i really recommend them!

Back