Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, Aug 21, 2017 10:45am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 07, 2017 8:40pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I just scored a Fokker off of Reverb for $1300. Is this as good a deal as I'm thinking it is, or have these things been bitten exceptionally hard by the depreciation bug?

Last edited by Rising Farce on Thu, Apr 20, 2017 5:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 07, 2017 10:50pm 
Supah Stah

Mmm, not real sure, but they were only $2499 new IIRC. Still though if it's in mint shape that's only like 55% of new cost which is a pretty decent deal IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 08, 2017 7:15am 
Rock God

Yes good deal. They ran between $1500-1800 trade value.

Cheapest I ever got a diezel was $1300, (einstein) as well but yours is the first Ive seen at that price since then.

Fokker has poor online reviews (most havent played the amp) and is replaced by the VH2.

Fokker was first attempt at v4 sound, ch2 is the revision. Many are dumping to get the "better" vh2.

if you love it you win. My first einy cost me $2200, played it for three years and then sold it for $2300. Four years laster I wanted it again, got it for $1300 because Dmoll was released. I have both dmoll and einstein there is almost no overlap between the two. One does not replace the other however perceived value changed...

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78

WTF you reading this tiny shit for anyway?

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 08, 2017 9:25am 
Journeyman NOOB

Peter told me Fokker has a different tranny and sounds a bit closer to Hagen. VH2 has the vh4 transformer and the metal grill. That's about it.
I'm really happy with mine and would not give it away.

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 08, 2017 10:17am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Good deal. Not surprised though in today's market. It's a buyer's market. Their are some still trying to get $2000 for their used Fokkers. Those sellers need to wake up and smell the coffee. I've seen lots of used high-end amps going for 20-30% less today vs 2 years ago. If anyone bought amps for invest purposes... prepare to take a bath.

Looking forward to some clips. I always like your clips. :rock: :thumbsup:

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 08, 2017 2:01pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Good deal. Not surprised though in today's market. It's a buyer's market. Their are some still trying to get $2000 for their used Fokkers. Those sellers need to wake up and smell the coffee. I've seen lots of used high-end amps going for 20-30% less today vs 2 years ago. If anyone bought amps for invest purposes... prepare to take a bath.

Looking forward to some clips. I always like your clips. :rock: :thumbsup:

Thank you, sir. I'll try to throw something together when it gets here. :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 08, 2017 2:15pm 

Hell yes man! Nice score! :rock:

Bicycle..........
I want to ride my bike....

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 08, 2017 7:31pm 
Rock God

Vin Diezel wrote:
Peter told me Fokker has a different tranny and sounds a bit closer to Hagen. VH2 has the vh4 transformer and the metal grill. That's about it.
I'm really happy with mine and would not give it away.

Interesting. Fokker was NOTHING like Hagen when AB'd...

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 09, 2017 3:50am 
Journeyman NOOB

He should know, I guess. :D
I haven't ABd them, though. Did you use the same cab?
There are people who played Herbert and vh4 through the same cab and after a while they could not tell anymore which one was on. ;)

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 09, 2017 1:46pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Fokker is pretty pronounced in the 4-5k area. I guess the sets him apart and makes some want to turn back the treble.

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 09, 2017 4:53pm 
Rock God

Vin Diezel wrote:
He should know, I guess. :D
I haven't ABd them, though. Did you use the same cab?
There are people who played Herbert and vh4 through the same cab and after a while they could not tell anymore which one was on. ;)

Yes same cab. So odd. Night and day. Maybe not circuit wise...

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:36am 
Journeyman NOOB

If the difference was so drastic, what was it?
(To be precise: Peter never stated that Fokker sounded like Hagen. He said it sounded closer to Hagen than to vh4.)

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:00pm 
Hack

If you don't bond with it I will take it. Was gunning for the same amp.

:doh:

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:10pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Dylheaven27 wrote:
If you don't bond with it I will take it. Was gunning for the same amp.

:doh:

Will do.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:14pm 
Rock God

Vin Diezel wrote:
(To be precise: Peter never stated that Fokker sounded like Hagen. He said it sounded closer to Hagen than to vh4.)

Ohhh.

Hagen is thick, chewy and smooth. Corpulent.

Fokker is thinner, sharper, cuts more, can be fuzzier.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:26pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Vin Diezel wrote:

Well I know the Hagen and Fokker use the same transformers... so maybe that's what he was referring to. The VH4 uses different style laydown PT/OT. Some said the Fokker was the VH4 channel 3... but I never heard that tone. It was its own animal.

Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:30pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

moltenmetalburn wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:

Ohhh.

Never played the Fokker... but I'm with you on the Hagen. It's more open, less compressed, not as tight a bottom end, more and different mid voicing, not as hard a sound or feel when playing as a VH4 or Herbert. Not as agressive or evil sounding either. I liked channel 2 oddly the best in the Hagen. Really versatile and great for Marshally classic rock tones. Best for hard, modern or classic rock IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 12:45pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Wizard of Ozz wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:

Well I know the Hagen and Fokker use the same transformers... so maybe that's what he was referring to. The VH4 uses different style laydown PT/OT. Some said the Fokker was the VH4 channel 3... but I never heard that tone. It was its own animal.

Well, there you have it. VH4 circuit + Hagen transformer. :lol: :LOL: Does not sound like either.

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 10, 2017 1:07pm 
Journeyman NOOB

moltenmetalburn wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:

Ohhh.

I see.

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 13, 2017 8:31pm 
Hack

Whats the verdict haha ?

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 13, 2017 10:27pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Dylheaven27 wrote:
Whats the verdict haha ?

Amp's not here yet. :(

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 20, 2017 5:29pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I got the Fokker on Monday and have since had a chance to put it through its paces and form some preliminary opinions.

First, the heavy channel (Channel 2) has a ton of gain and does an outstanding "liquid" lead, to the point that it almost feels boosted with an overdrive. Lots of fun to be had here.

The low end is ample, though perhaps not as brain-rattlingly concussive as I expected. That said, I tend to buy very bass-heavy amps (Rivera KR7, Engl Fireball, Mesa Multi-Watt Triple Recto, et al.), so my impressions may be skewed.

Mercifully, the tone controls are simple and do exactly what they claim to, which is always a plus for a troglodyte like myself. I also appreciate that the presence control is actually usable, which seems a rare thing these days. I typically have it set to around 1 o'clock on the Fokker, as opposed to the "just barely above zero" setting required by a lot of modern amps. It's even possible to play pleasant-sounding leads above the 12th fret using the bridge pickup, which is no small thing when your guitars are loaded with Duncan Distortions.

The most impressive aspect may be the amp's level of clarity, which it retains even with the gain knob dialed into the stratosphere. The individual notes of complex chords shine through in a way that most amps can't reproduce.

My only minor misgiving has to do with the nature of the Fokker's natural distortion. It seems there's something ever so slightly "fuzzy" about it, a trait that can be eliminated by dialing back the gain knob a bit and using a Tube Screamer-type pedal to further smooth things out. Using higher-wattage speakers--G12K-85s, in my case--also helps. Fortunately, the amp sounds great when configured this way, so I've been running it with a Pro Tone Dead Horse OD out front most of the time.

All in all, it seems like a great amp at the price I paid. I haven't spent much time in clean or crunch mode, as the "melt your face off" setting is too much fun for the time being. I'm sure I'll get there...eventually.

At any rate, let me know if this all tracks with your experience. I'm also open to suggestions on settings, cabs, etc.

:rock:

PostPosted: Fri, Apr 21, 2017 8:41pm 
Supah Stah

Rising Farce wrote:
The most impressive aspect may be the amp's level of clarity, which it retains even with the gain knob dialed into the stratosphere. The individual notes of complex chords shine through in a way that most amps can't reproduce.

That pretty much sums up Diezel has a whole.

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 22, 2017 11:41am 
Journeyman NOOB

I use a Diezel cab and after trying all kinds of weird settings I ended up setting the tone controls, deep and presence to noon. Other cabs may require different settings.

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Sat, Apr 22, 2017 4:31pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Vin Diezel wrote:
I use a Diezel cab and after trying all kinds of weird settings I ended up setting the tone controls, deep and presence to noon. Other cabs may require different settings.

After a lot of experimentation, I've settled on essentially the same thing. It's nice to have an intuitive set of controls for a change.

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017 2:08pm 
Journeyman NOOB

That's what mine sounds like https://soundcloud.com/user-807280440/osterjam

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans

PostPosted: Sun, Apr 23, 2017 9:34pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Vin Diezel wrote:

Nice. The lead playing puts me in mind of Satriani's "Cool #9," which is always a good thing.

I can never get Vintage 30s to sound that pleasant, though that could be at least partly attributable to my choice in pickups.

PostPosted: Mon, Apr 24, 2017 10:48am 
Journeyman NOOB

The lead is played with a wah and the tycobrahe octafuzz if I remember correctly. You got to put the mic on the cone imho. Or next to it if you want a fat fusion-like tone.

Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans