Big MaX review

Philipp

behind my little review in german, there is a Google transtaion.....
maybe someone can translate it ...

Da ich bandmäßig seit knapp zwei Jahren kein Hi-Gain-Metal-Vollbrett mehr fahre -sondern eher ein rotziges Punk-Brett ohne Schnickschnack, kam vor gut nem Jahr bei mir der Wunsch nach einem Einkanaler auf. Habe einige angespielt, aber die haben mich alle nicht überzeugt. Ich wollte aber auch keine zig-tausend € ausgeben, denn downgraden fällt ja bekanntlich schwerer als upgraden.
Also habe ich vor einem halben Jahr bei Peter angefragt, ob er mir nicht einen Einkanaler bauen will... Wollte er natürlich nicht, hat mir aber gesagt, er entwickelt gerade einen und ich solle Geduld haben. Das war ein sehr laaaaanges halbes Jahr, aber schließlich steht er seit einer Woche bei mir, da mein Herbert bei Peter zur Reparatur ist.

Der Big MaX kann wirklich alles -sogar High-Gain- klingt aber nicht so fett, böse und so gebügelt wie der Herbert. Viel direkter und offener -nicht so komprimiert. Er kann richtig los rotzen und man hört wirklich jede Änderung an Anschlag/Spielweise/Plektrumhaltung. GENIAL!

Das Beste ist aber wirklich -und genau DAS wollte ich unbedingt- dass der Amp auf das Volumenpoti und Pickups der Gitarre sensibel reagiert. Und genau DAS macht er! Ich drehe das Poti auf 1 runter und schalte auf Hals PU, erhalte damit einen vollen und schönen Cleansound mit Luft nach oben. Wähle ich Single coil klirrt es pleximässig in den Ohren. Und jetzt wieder Poti auf und Steg HB>>>>> BRÄÄÄÄÄTZ! Dazwischen alle erdenklichen Zerrstufen bis eben das Poti wieder auf Vollgas steht -genial!

Die Abstufung von Clean auf Drive mit dem Gitarren-Poti ist total irre- perfekte Balance der Lautstärken. Keine Ahnung wie der Peter das hinbekommen hat, aber er hat es hinbekommen! Der Cleansound ist nicht wie bei allen Amps die ich angespielt habe lauter, als wenn man das Poti wieder aufdreht, die Vorstufe ordentlich Saft bekommt, zu zerren und komprimieren beginnt, um dann mit Schmackes leiser zu werden als der Cleansound. Wahnsinn!!!

Kennt Ihr das Video von diesem "Epipatsch" oder wie immer der heißt von der Namm? Das doofe Gesicht was er macht bei diesem Poti clean/drive Manöver -genau so ist es!

Metal-Brett kann er auch richtig gut, aber das kann der Herbert allein schon durch die Leistung und somit mehr headroom besser. Man kann die beiden Amps auch gar nicht mit einander vergleichen, aber eins haben sie definitiv gemeinsam: 100% astreiner Diezelsound! Und der kommt beim Big MaX eben direkter.... schneller und gemeiner als beim Herbert. Mein Herbie schlägt mir mit der Faust in die Fresse, während mir der Big MaX in einer Tour links und rechts Watschen gibt.... immer und immer wieder....

this means Google:

Since I did not drive a gig-Gain-Metal-Vollbrett for more than two years, but rather a rosy punk-board without a Schnickschnack, came to me well nem year with me the desire for a one-channel. Have some played, but they have not convinced me all. But I did not want to spend a thousand dollars, because downgraden is known to be heavier than upgrade.
So I asked half a year ago with Peter, if he does not want me to build a single-canal ... Of course he did not, but told me he is developing a straight and I should have patience. This was a very laaaaanges half year, but finally he has been with me for a week, since my Herbert is with Peter for the repair.

The Big MaX can really be anything - even high-gain - but does not sound as fat, evil and as ironed as the Herbert. Much more direct and open - not so compressed. He can really get rid of it and you really hear every change to stop / play / plectrum attitude. INGENIOUS!

The best is however really - and exactly THAT I wanted absolutely - that the Amp responsive to the volume poti and pickups of the guitar sensitive. And that is exactly what he does! I turn the potentiometer down to 1 and switch on the neck PU, thus getting a full and beautiful cleansound with air upwards. I choose single coil clasps it pleximlich in the ears. And now again Poti on and bridge HB >>>>> BRÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄZ! In between all imaginable distortions until the Poti again on full gas is -genial!

The graduation of Clean on Drive with the guitar potentiometer is totally irreversible balance of the volume. No idea how Peter got it, but he got it! The Cleansound is not as with all the amps I have played louder than when the poti is turned up again, the precursor neatly gets juice, to pull and compress starts, then with Schmackes quieter than the Cleansound. Madness!!!

Do you know the video of this "Epipatsch" or, as always, of the Namm? The doofe face what he does at this poti clean / drive maneuver -accurate so it is!

Metal board he can also be really good, but the Herbert can be better by the performance and thus more headroom better. You can not compare the two amps, but they have one thing in common: 100% astral Diezelsound! And the Big MaX comes directly .... faster and meaner than the Herbert. My Herbie slaps me with the fist in the face, while the Big MaX gives me in a tour left and right Watschen
\ clapps .... over and over again ....

Wow, I do not know your settings, but those are quite different sounds from these amps. The Big Max seems to have a lot more aggressive and cutting mids or highs than the Diezel standard. I did not expect that to be honest.
This was really a meaningful review.
Thanks!

great review my 2 cents based on what i heard:

-bigmax sounds like a slightly different upper/mid voiced amp vs herbert being darker and more saturated in fatter low mids
-to me bigmax sounds more suitable to a 2 guitarist scenario, herbie would be awesome to shine through in a 1 man act really, get all the fat tones out without making compromises and caring what the other guy in your band uses
-overall, I liked the cleans on herb better

Looking forward to another vids..
This one was very well done really! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your friendly feedback!

@Vin Diezel: settings on both amps are exactly the same. You see it at beginning...
@ Wizard of Ozz: I don't have an overdrive pedal, so i did't know how it works or sounds...
@Gutmann: i only use the high-input, gain is at one o'clock.

In the video i never changes settings on the amps, all changes only comes from the guitar and always plays the same guitar-setting through both amps before give more drive/gain/volume with the guitar Poti... Start with 1, ends with 10

Very interesting comparison! For the type of stuff you played in that video, I liked the Big Max better. It seemed more open, raw and cutting. I'd be very curious to hear it compared to a Paul

Cool video. Thanks for putting that together. Both sound good. For me, easy choice is the Big Max. Sounds great.

Back