Amp Gets Loud When Switch Power Off & Other Question

SavageRiffer

Banned
I put my Paul on standby and a few seconds later I switch the power off. When I switch off the power, it gets loud if the guitar is plugged in. It wasn't doing that until today. What could be wrong?

Also, channel 2 is sounding a bit thin and the volume is fluctuating a little. What is the tube layout of the Paul and which preamp tubes correspond to which channels? Thanks for the help.

Try waiting a longer period between putting it in standby... then cutting the power... like 30-45 seconds. See if it still does the same pop before shutting down.

In some amps, when you switch power off the switching instantly drops out and the amp sort of switches to default no-power mode. But the actual signal circuit fades slowly. So for a microsecond there...the amp can still put out power but the switching may have made it such that for example, a master volume is taken out of circuit and it gets loud.

But you said it just started doing it so I dunno. Most of my amps I always just switch power off, then standby a bit later. But I've got a few that def don't like that (pop or other weirdness). My Quick Rod, my 5150, and my 6100LM all don't like it and it's all due to switching.

SavageRiffer":r39h7j6q said:
I put my Paul on standby and a few seconds later I switch the power off. When I switch off the power, it gets loud if the guitar is plugged in. It wasn't doing that until today. What could be wrong?

Also, channel 2 is sounding a bit thin and the volume is fluctuating a little. What is the tube layout of the Paul and which preamp tubes correspond to which channels? Thanks for the help.

Please wait 30 seconds to switch power off.

Peter Diezel":3swc183g said:
SavageRiffer":3swc183g said:

Please wait 30 seconds to switch power off.

That's my normal practice. Channel 2 volume is fluctuating. I'm thinking it's the preamp tubes. Could that have something to do with the shutdown?

Back