Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Sep 21, 2017 3:44am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 03, 2017 11:56am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Why not throw a bone to some of us home players who don't have $4000 for a 180w amp and make a Herbert Mini with 6V6s or EL34s? 25w with silent recording feature would be awesome.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 03, 2017 1:45pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 21, 2009 12:03pm
Posts: 5887
Location: Indiana
There is a diezel lunchbox in the works afaik.

_________________
:rock:




Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78


WTF you reading this tiny shit for anyway?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 03, 2017 2:44pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
Image

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 03, 2017 9:57pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 63
Isnt that what D-Moll is?

_________________
Guitars: PRS (x7), Gibson (x8), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x3), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x2), Marshall (x2), Soldano (x2), Bogner (x2), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x2), Voodoo, KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 03, 2017 10:06pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
moltenmetalburn wrote:
There is a diezel lunchbox in the works afaik.


I have read a few things here and there, but nothing has materialized. I keep thinking of what would make a nice mini version, and it seems like a mini Herbert would be great. However, imagine a VH4 or Hagen mini. Hell, I'd buy all three if they came out.

danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


Dude the D-Moll is 100 freaking watts. It's not lunchbox either. The D-Moll is a monster amp and it's loud as hell.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 03, 2017 10:58pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Thu, May 04, 2017 7:11am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 5:09pm
Posts: 709
Location: Texas
The Herbert is the Herbert because the headroom and massive wattage. Plus it is the BEST sounding master volume on a big head I've came across.
Dmoll sounds very different from herb, considering its similar voicing, from what peter and peter said

_________________
- :rock: Heavy Metal Lefty :rock: -
AMPS: Friedman Butterslax / Diezel Herbert MKII
CABS: Friedman 412:15 / Diezel 412FV / Avatar 412-FL-K100 custom


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Thu, May 04, 2017 7:24am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
LunatiBSW wrote:
The Herbert is the Herbert because the headroom and massive wattage. Plus it is the BEST sounding master volume on a big head I've came across.
Dmoll sounds very different from herb, considering its similar voicing, from what peter and peter said


Yep, which is exactly why it would be cool if there was a Herbert mini. Hell I don't care if there's a Herbert, VH4 or Hagen mini. Either would be cool.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Thu, May 04, 2017 9:30am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
SavageRiffer wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
The Herbert is the Herbert because the headroom and massive wattage. Plus it is the BEST sounding master volume on a big head I've came across.
Dmoll sounds very different from herb, considering its similar voicing, from what peter and peter said


Yep, which is exactly why it would be cool if there was a Herbert mini. Hell I don't care if there's a Herbert, VH4 or Hagen mini. Either would be cool.


Herbert would be impossible to replicate into a mini. A big part of the magic is the 180-200W power section. It what keeps the tones so tight.

Also... I've yet to play any "mini-amp" that sounds even half as good as its full sized progenitor. Use the MV or if needed, Two Notes Reload. My TNRLD sounds great with most any amp.

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Thu, May 04, 2017 9:38am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
The Herbert is the Herbert because the headroom and massive wattage. Plus it is the BEST sounding master volume on a big head I've came across.
Dmoll sounds very different from herb, considering its similar voicing, from what peter and peter said


Yep, which is exactly why it would be cool if there was a Herbert mini. Hell I don't care if there's a Herbert, VH4 or Hagen mini. Either would be cool.


Herbert would be impossible to replicate into a mini. A big part of the magic is the 180-200W power section. It what keeps the tones so tight.

Also... I've yet to play any "mini-amp" that sounds even half as good as its full sized progenitor. Use the MV or if needed, Two Notes Reload. My TNRLD sounds great with most any amp.


I disagree. The Bogner Atma, Mesa Mini Mark and Mini Rect, Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley mini, etc... They all sound damned good and sell very well. Of course it's not going to be exactly the same, but these days any builder should be able to more or less replicate their larger sized amps with great success. 6V6 tubes are becoming very popular for smaller version of EL34 amps. Ceriatone is even doing it and they sound damned good. Marshall did it with the DSL15 head. I don't think EL84s can sound much like a Diezel, so maybe 6V6s can, but I'm no tech so that's left best explained by the engineers.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Thu, May 04, 2017 12:52pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
SavageRiffer wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
The Herbert is the Herbert because the headroom and massive wattage. Plus it is the BEST sounding master volume on a big head I've came across.
Dmoll sounds very different from herb, considering its similar voicing, from what peter and peter said


Yep, which is exactly why it would be cool if there was a Herbert mini. Hell I don't care if there's a Herbert, VH4 or Hagen mini. Either would be cool.


Herbert would be impossible to replicate into a mini. A big part of the magic is the 180-200W power section. It what keeps the tones so tight.

Also... I've yet to play any "mini-amp" that sounds even half as good as its full sized progenitor. Use the MV or if needed, Two Notes Reload. My TNRLD sounds great with most any amp.


I disagree. The Bogner Atma, Mesa Mini Mark and Mini Rect, Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley mini, etc... They all sound damned good and sell very well. Of course it's not going to be exactly the same, but these days any builder should be able to more or less replicate their larger sized amps with great success. 6V6 tubes are becoming very popular for smaller version of EL34 amps. Ceriatone is even doing it and they sound damned good. Marshall did it with the DSL15 head. I don't think EL84s can sound much like a Diezel, so maybe 6V6s can, but I'm no tech so that's left best explained by the engineers.


We'll agree to disagree. I don't think any of those sound like their bigger brethren. You are not going to get the sound and responsivess from a charged inline V4 engine compared to a V8... no matter how you tweak it. :D

The tubes and power amps (or lack thereof) are the problem... 6V6 tubes belong in Fenders. EL84s in Marshall Bluebreakers and Vox AC30s... the right tool for the job. These are not the ideal sound for metal or even hard rock.

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Thu, May 04, 2017 2:14pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
The Herbert is the Herbert because the headroom and massive wattage. Plus it is the BEST sounding master volume on a big head I've came across.
Dmoll sounds very different from herb, considering its similar voicing, from what peter and peter said


Yep, which is exactly why it would be cool if there was a Herbert mini. Hell I don't care if there's a Herbert, VH4 or Hagen mini. Either would be cool.


Herbert would be impossible to replicate into a mini. A big part of the magic is the 180-200W power section. It what keeps the tones so tight.

Also... I've yet to play any "mini-amp" that sounds even half as good as its full sized progenitor. Use the MV or if needed, Two Notes Reload. My TNRLD sounds great with most any amp.


I disagree. The Bogner Atma, Mesa Mini Mark and Mini Rect, Pink Taco, Dirty Shirley mini, etc... They all sound damned good and sell very well. Of course it's not going to be exactly the same, but these days any builder should be able to more or less replicate their larger sized amps with great success. 6V6 tubes are becoming very popular for smaller version of EL34 amps. Ceriatone is even doing it and they sound damned good. Marshall did it with the DSL15 head. I don't think EL84s can sound much like a Diezel, so maybe 6V6s can, but I'm no tech so that's left best explained by the engineers.


We'll agree to disagree. I don't think any of those sound like their bigger brethren. You are not going to get the sound and responsivess from a charged inline V4 engine compared to a V8... no matter how you tweak it. :D

The tubes and power amps (or lack thereof) are the problem... 6V6 tubes belong in Fenders. EL84s in Marshall Bluebreakers and Vox AC30s... the right tool for the job. These are not the ideal sound for metal or even hard rock.


I'm not arguing that they sound exactly like their larger couterparts. What I'm saying is that even though they don't sound exactly the same, they sound damned good. Look, if Diezel made a mini VH4 then even if it didn't sound exactly like a VH4, the fact that Diezel made it would make it a badass, VH4-like amp. Some of them pretty much capture the tone of their bigger brothers. The Peavey 6505 mini does an excellent job of that.

I would agree that they don't sound exactly alike, but some are very hard to tell from the bigger versions. The Marshall JVM 205 and 410 sound distinctly like a JVM, yet one is 50w and the other is 100w. Then Marshall came out with the little 1w amps, I used to own a couple, and they were spot on. I sure miss that little 1w JCM800 because it really captured the spirit of the JCM800 in a tiny amp.

Therefore, if other companies are successfully doing it, why can't Diezel? Besides, most people want those things these days. Why not accommodate a market that has grown in popularity?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 05, 2017 1:47am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Thu, Feb 28, 2008 3:22am
Posts: 611
I understand what OP wants but making half a amp doesnt result in half the price, think more towords 80%.
People will then always buy the full Herbert 100%.

Just save and wait, i did to. Its worth it.

_________________
My Free Backing Tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Shadowsrig/videos


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 05, 2017 7:11am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
shadow070 wrote:
I understand what OP wants but making half a amp doesnt result in half the price, think more towords 80%.
People will then always buy the full Herbert 100%.

Just save and wait, i did to. Its worth it.


Based on what logic though? The pervasive trend around the globe is smaller, more affordable amps and home recording. If that's the trend cited by countless publications, then how would the logic be that people would more likely spend twice as much for a much larger more powerful amp. The truth is, few musicians need even 50 watts. I don't know what Diezel sales figures are, but the D-Moll and Paul by all accounts are very popular. The reason they're popular is they are smaller and still feature rich. In one of the Peter & Peter videos, Stapfer said that people wanted the MIDI and other features in a smaller and versatile amp, and that's why they created the D-Moll.

Moreover, I have read talk on this very forum for quite some time regarding a smaller amp. I suspect that Diezel was still making its way into the mainstream amp market which is why it hasn't yet materialized. However, now that Diezel has been carried by large corporations like Musicians Friend for a long time, it's probable that they'll start tapping into the mainstream market. The Paul seems like a step in that direction as it's a 45w, classically voiced amp aimed at a wider market, or like Peter Stapfer said, he can see it in a lot of blues and classic rock clubs.

When I think of Diezel minis, I think of how successful the Bogner Atma and Mark V minis are. I think it would be a mistake not to tap into that market. For all we know, Diezel could already have a few prototypes.

Like I said, if Diezel made a 25w mini version of all their larger amps, I'd buy them all. It's hard to imagine a Diezel player who wouldn't want one.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 05, 2017 7:44am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee

Joined: Thu, Feb 28, 2008 3:22am
Posts: 611
Hi, my main point was that a smaller amp would not result in a much cheaper amp.... thats all.

I myself, im waiting for just a preamp, ofcourse Diezel feuled. Im in the EU so its all in my price range.

_________________
My Free Backing Tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Shadowsrig/videos


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 05, 2017 9:48am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
SavageRiffer wrote:
shadow070 wrote:
I understand what OP wants but making half a amp doesnt result in half the price, think more towords 80%.
People will then always buy the full Herbert 100%.

Just save and wait, i did to. Its worth it.


Based on what logic though? The pervasive trend around the globe is smaller, more affordable amps and home recording. If that's the trend cited by countless publications, then how would the logic be that people would more likely spend twice as much for a much larger more powerful amp. The truth is, few musicians need even 50 watts. I don't know what Diezel sales figures are, but the D-Moll and Paul by all accounts are very popular. The reason they're popular is they are smaller and still feature rich. In one of the Peter & Peter videos, Stapfer said that people wanted the MIDI and other features in a smaller and versatile amp, and that's why they created the D-Moll.

Moreover, I have read talk on this very forum for quite some time regarding a smaller amp. I suspect that Diezel was still making its way into the mainstream amp market which is why it hasn't yet materialized. However, now that Diezel has been carried by large corporations like Musicians Friend for a long time, it's probable that they'll start tapping into the mainstream market. The Paul seems like a step in that direction as it's a 45w, classically voiced amp aimed at a wider market, or like Peter Stapfer said, he can see it in a lot of blues and classic rock clubs.

When I think of Diezel minis, I think of how successful the Bogner Atma and Mark V minis are. I think it would be a mistake not to tap into that market. For all we know, Diezel could already have a few prototypes.

Like I said, if Diezel made a 25w mini version of all their larger amps, I'd buy them all. It's hard to imagine a Diezel player who wouldn't want one.


There's a whole lotta supposition, juxtaposition, pontification, and hypothetical thought in this post. And as I mentioned earlier... smaller amps change the voicing, tone, and magic found in the original full-sized amps. Just because a lot of people eat at McDonalds doesn't mean it's quality food. And not every company is out to make every cent possible from potential customers, at the cost of quality, tone and reputation. Some are concerned about quality, tone, reputation and great service... and not mass marketing.

That said... get a VH4 pedal and run it into a clean channel of 1X12 combo and enjoy. :thumbsup:

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 05, 2017 1:35pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
shadow070 wrote:
I understand what OP wants but making half a amp doesnt result in half the price, think more towords 80%.
People will then always buy the full Herbert 100%.

Just save and wait, i did to. Its worth it.


Based on what logic though? The pervasive trend around the globe is smaller, more affordable amps and home recording. If that's the trend cited by countless publications, then how would the logic be that people would more likely spend twice as much for a much larger more powerful amp. The truth is, few musicians need even 50 watts. I don't know what Diezel sales figures are, but the D-Moll and Paul by all accounts are very popular. The reason they're popular is they are smaller and still feature rich. In one of the Peter & Peter videos, Stapfer said that people wanted the MIDI and other features in a smaller and versatile amp, and that's why they created the D-Moll.

Moreover, I have read talk on this very forum for quite some time regarding a smaller amp. I suspect that Diezel was still making its way into the mainstream amp market which is why it hasn't yet materialized. However, now that Diezel has been carried by large corporations like Musicians Friend for a long time, it's probable that they'll start tapping into the mainstream market. The Paul seems like a step in that direction as it's a 45w, classically voiced amp aimed at a wider market, or like Peter Stapfer said, he can see it in a lot of blues and classic rock clubs.

When I think of Diezel minis, I think of how successful the Bogner Atma and Mark V minis are. I think it would be a mistake not to tap into that market. For all we know, Diezel could already have a few prototypes.

Like I said, if Diezel made a 25w mini version of all their larger amps, I'd buy them all. It's hard to imagine a Diezel player who wouldn't want one.


There's a whole lotta supposition, juxtaposition, pontification, and hypothetical thought in this post. And as I mentioned earlier... smaller amps change the voicing, tone, and magic found in the original full-sized amps. Just because a lot of people eat at McDonalds doesn't mean it's quality food. And not every company is out to make every cent possible from potential customers, at the cost of quality, tone and reputation. Some are concerned about quality, tone, reputation and great service... and not mass marketing.

That said... get a VH4 pedal and run it into a clean channel of 1X12 combo and enjoy. :thumbsup:


There's not, and you missed my point. I was just explaining the logic. I said very clearly that I don't have the data, just putting some logic to the trend. You're talking about quality and all that, but that's not even on point because it has nothing to do with it. I even said that great quality is assumed when I stated that it would "be badass if Diezel made it."

"Get a pedal and plug into a clean amp...." Come on man, you act like a mini Diezel is a stupid idea. I'm smart enough to know it's not a stupid idea, and I'll bet there are a ton of people who would agree.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sat, May 06, 2017 10:27pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 63
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.


From the product section of diezelamplification.com: “D-Moll: Small box – but big sound. Herberts little brother.”

_________________
Guitars: PRS (x7), Gibson (x8), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x3), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x2), Marshall (x2), Soldano (x2), Bogner (x2), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x2), Voodoo, KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sun, May 07, 2017 12:30am 
Offline
Hack

Joined: Tue, Dec 20, 2016 3:00am
Posts: 18
Wizard did a 6v6 MC 25 and 35 they sound killer, But are still loud as f*** and really expensive. Also I agree diezel has the best master I've ever encountered. I am trying to buy a hagen to play mostly at night in my living room. Its that good.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sun, May 07, 2017 11:50am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
SavageRiffer wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
shadow070 wrote:
I understand what OP wants but making half a amp doesnt result in half the price, think more towords 80%.
People will then always buy the full Herbert 100%.

Just save and wait, i did to. Its worth it.


Based on what logic though? The pervasive trend around the globe is smaller, more affordable amps and home recording. If that's the trend cited by countless publications, then how would the logic be that people would more likely spend twice as much for a much larger more powerful amp. The truth is, few musicians need even 50 watts. I don't know what Diezel sales figures are, but the D-Moll and Paul by all accounts are very popular. The reason they're popular is they are smaller and still feature rich. In one of the Peter & Peter videos, Stapfer said that people wanted the MIDI and other features in a smaller and versatile amp, and that's why they created the D-Moll.

Moreover, I have read talk on this very forum for quite some time regarding a smaller amp. I suspect that Diezel was still making its way into the mainstream amp market which is why it hasn't yet materialized. However, now that Diezel has been carried by large corporations like Musicians Friend for a long time, it's probable that they'll start tapping into the mainstream market. The Paul seems like a step in that direction as it's a 45w, classically voiced amp aimed at a wider market, or like Peter Stapfer said, he can see it in a lot of blues and classic rock clubs.

When I think of Diezel minis, I think of how successful the Bogner Atma and Mark V minis are. I think it would be a mistake not to tap into that market. For all we know, Diezel could already have a few prototypes.

Like I said, if Diezel made a 25w mini version of all their larger amps, I'd buy them all. It's hard to imagine a Diezel player who wouldn't want one.


There's a whole lotta supposition, juxtaposition, pontification, and hypothetical thought in this post. And as I mentioned earlier... smaller amps change the voicing, tone, and magic found in the original full-sized amps. Just because a lot of people eat at McDonalds doesn't mean it's quality food. And not every company is out to make every cent possible from potential customers, at the cost of quality, tone and reputation. Some are concerned about quality, tone, reputation and great service... and not mass marketing.

That said... get a VH4 pedal and run it into a clean channel of 1X12 combo and enjoy. :thumbsup:


There's not, and you missed my point. I was just explaining the logic. I said very clearly that I don't have the data, just putting some logic to the trend. You're talking about quality and all that, but that's not even on point because it has nothing to do with it. I even said that great quality is assumed when I stated that it would "be badass if Diezel made it."

"Get a pedal and plug into a clean amp...." Come on man, you act like a mini Diezel is a stupid idea. I'm smart enough to know it's not a stupid idea, and I'll bet there are a ton of people who would agree.


Here's what you are missing:

1. Quality. Product quality is directly tied to the price. You pay for what you get. You're not going to boil down a $4000 amp into a $2000 mini-amp... irregardless of output, smaller power section or scaling down features. It will never happen. The final product will suffer and many builders are not okay with it... or want to follow market trends like you mention. Also in the case of the MKV, it costs a lot less than the Herbert to begin with. The Atma is it's own amp... its not a scaled down model of a larger amp. Bad example. The Paul and DMoll are the scaled down models... and there isn't a huge price differential with the 100W offerings.

2. Performance. The sound from any 25W or lower amp will be drastically different than a 100W amp. Many builders, buyers, and others hear the difference an will not want to settle for less. Take the Soldano SLO for example. Soldano has built and billed 5-6 amps over the years as having the same "overdrive sound as the SLO... or the exact same lead channel as the SLO"... The Hot Rod, Avenger, Astroverb et al. Guess what? None of them sound, feel, or perform like the SLO.

3. Performance is tied to quality and price. You remind me of a guy walking in to a Ferrari dealer asking why the cars cost so much? You'll say I can buy 4 Hondas for the price of 1 Ferrari, that run just as good as these. When will Ferrari build a reasonably priced budget compact model for daily driving? That's what the majority of car buyers want. Guess what... it won't happen.

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Last edited by Wizard of Ozz on Sun, May 07, 2017 12:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sun, May 07, 2017 11:54am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.


From the product section of diezelamplification.com: “D-Moll: Small box – but big sound. Herberts little brother.”


More so in description of features than in true tone for tone sounds. More like cousins if you ask me. Play them side by side, then decide. Don't take my word for it... ask LunatiBSW (posted above) who traded his DMoll, which he had for sometime, in for the Herbert... if they sound alike.

;)

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sun, May 07, 2017 1:22pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
shadow070 wrote:
I understand what OP wants but making half a amp doesnt result in half the price, think more towords 80%.
People will then always buy the full Herbert 100%.

Just save and wait, i did to. Its worth it.


Based on what logic though? The pervasive trend around the globe is smaller, more affordable amps and home recording. If that's the trend cited by countless publications, then how would the logic be that people would more likely spend twice as much for a much larger more powerful amp. The truth is, few musicians need even 50 watts. I don't know what Diezel sales figures are, but the D-Moll and Paul by all accounts are very popular. The reason they're popular is they are smaller and still feature rich. In one of the Peter & Peter videos, Stapfer said that people wanted the MIDI and other features in a smaller and versatile amp, and that's why they created the D-Moll.

Moreover, I have read talk on this very forum for quite some time regarding a smaller amp. I suspect that Diezel was still making its way into the mainstream amp market which is why it hasn't yet materialized. However, now that Diezel has been carried by large corporations like Musicians Friend for a long time, it's probable that they'll start tapping into the mainstream market. The Paul seems like a step in that direction as it's a 45w, classically voiced amp aimed at a wider market, or like Peter Stapfer said, he can see it in a lot of blues and classic rock clubs.

When I think of Diezel minis, I think of how successful the Bogner Atma and Mark V minis are. I think it would be a mistake not to tap into that market. For all we know, Diezel could already have a few prototypes.

Like I said, if Diezel made a 25w mini version of all their larger amps, I'd buy them all. It's hard to imagine a Diezel player who wouldn't want one.


There's a whole lotta supposition, juxtaposition, pontification, and hypothetical thought in this post. And as I mentioned earlier... smaller amps change the voicing, tone, and magic found in the original full-sized amps. Just because a lot of people eat at McDonalds doesn't mean it's quality food. And not every company is out to make every cent possible from potential customers, at the cost of quality, tone and reputation. Some are concerned about quality, tone, reputation and great service... and not mass marketing.

That said... get a VH4 pedal and run it into a clean channel of 1X12 combo and enjoy. :thumbsup:


There's not, and you missed my point. I was just explaining the logic. I said very clearly that I don't have the data, just putting some logic to the trend. You're talking about quality and all that, but that's not even on point because it has nothing to do with it. I even said that great quality is assumed when I stated that it would "be badass if Diezel made it."

"Get a pedal and plug into a clean amp...." Come on man, you act like a mini Diezel is a stupid idea. I'm smart enough to know it's not a stupid idea, and I'll bet there are a ton of people who would agree.


Here's what you are missing:

1. Quality. Product quality is directly tied to the price. You pay for what you get. You're not going to boil down a $4000 amp into a $2000 mini-amp... irregardless of output, smaller power section or scaling down features. It will never happen. The final product will suffer and many builders are not okay with it... or want to follow market trends like you mention. Also in the case of the MKV, it costs a lot less than the Herbert to begin with. The Atma is it's own amp... its not a scaled down model of a larger amp. Bad example. The Paul and DMoll are the scaled down models... and there isn't a huge price differential with the 100W offerings.

2. Performance. The sound from any 25W or lower amp will be drastically different than a 100W amp. Many builders, buyers, and others hear the difference an will not want to settle for less. Take the Soldano SLO for example. Soldano has built and billed 5-6 amps over the years as having the same "overdrive sound as the SLO... or the exact same lead channel as the SLO"... The Hot Rod, Avenger, Astroverb et al. Guess what? None of them sound, feel, or perform like the SLO.

3. Performance is tied to quality and price. You remind me of a guy walking in to a Ferrari dealer asking why the cars cost so much? You'll say I can buy 4 Hondas for the price of 1 Ferrari, that run just as good as these. When will Ferrari build a reasonably priced budget compact model for daily driving? That's what the majority of car buyers want. Guess what... it won't happen.


Well every manufacturer who produces mini version of their amp like Bogner pretty much proves your #1 logic wrong. They CAN and DO produce equally good products at a much lower price. I already explained that no one expects the minis to sound exactly like the bigger brothers, but they're usually close enough, so #2 is pointless. As for #3, how you somehow equate the price of Ferraris to this topic makes no sense at all. A lot of the extra cost of amps is import/export. In England, Marshalls don't cost as much as they do here. Bogners cost twice as much in England.

You seem to casually ignore the facts I presented:

1. Lots of companies are making high-quality minis
2. Minis are very popular
3. Minis are a pervasive trend
4. Minis sound damned good
5. Minis are quite loud for their size
6. Minis are typically feature rich; having features such as reverb and emulated output
7. Minis cost substantially less than their full-sized counterparts

If people had your attitude, no one would ever achieve anything. They would just say "No, it's not possible" or write it off as ridiculous. I tell you this: Diezel could and should cash in on the mini market and this is the perfect time to do it. If you want to make analogies, then you're acting like people should only pay the price of climbing Mt. Everest because that's the grandest mountain of all. Nevermind climbing another mountain because with your logic, it won't be as exhilarating and would still cost as much as an Everest expedition.

Come on man. You come along and try to shut the door on a pervasive idea many builders have already capitalized on, then you try to say I'm the one supposing, juxtaposing, pontificating, etc. Everyone should listen to you then. "Yeah! It's a preposterous idea. How foolish to think one can do such a thing." Please, spare me the weak argument.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Mon, May 08, 2017 4:12pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 63
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.


From the product section of diezelamplification.com: “D-Moll: Small box – but big sound. Herberts little brother.”


More so in description of features than in true tone for tone sounds. More like cousins if you ask me. Play them side by side, then decide. Don't take my word for it... ask LunatiBSW (posted above) who traded his DMoll, which he had for sometime, in for the Herbert... if they sound alike.

;)


I've actually invited LunatiBSW to jam - between the two of us, we have a number of amps that we'd love to hear side by side. To my ear, D-Moll was pretty similar to Herbert with the obvious difference in power/headroom.

_________________
Guitars: PRS (x7), Gibson (x8), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x3), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x2), Marshall (x2), Soldano (x2), Bogner (x2), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x2), Voodoo, KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Mon, May 08, 2017 4:51pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Tue, Feb 24, 2015 5:09pm
Posts: 709
Location: Texas
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.


From the product section of diezelamplification.com: “D-Moll: Small box – but big sound. Herberts little brother.”


More so in description of features than in true tone for tone sounds. More like cousins if you ask me. Play them side by side, then decide. Don't take my word for it... ask LunatiBSW (posted above) who traded his DMoll, which he had for sometime, in for the Herbert... if they sound alike.

;)


I've actually invited LunatiBSW to jam - between the two of us, we have a number of amps that we'd love to hear side by side. To my ear, D-Moll was pretty similar to Herbert with the obvious difference in power/headroom.


Well get to the bottom of this. Hahaha. Me and Dave will do some good a/b between the two. I'll bring the Herbert and he has his dmoll. I personally find them related but it was eye opening to me, when I played them side by side at platinum room in Dallas through the same cab. I'm a complete metal head though. If that makes any difference.

_________________
- :rock: Heavy Metal Lefty :rock: -
AMPS: Friedman Butterslax / Diezel Herbert MKII
CABS: Friedman 412:15 / Diezel 412FV / Avatar 412-FL-K100 custom


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Mon, May 08, 2017 10:06pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
LunatiBSW wrote:
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.


From the product section of diezelamplification.com: “D-Moll: Small box – but big sound. Herberts little brother.”


More so in description of features than in true tone for tone sounds. More like cousins if you ask me. Play them side by side, then decide. Don't take my word for it... ask LunatiBSW (posted above) who traded his DMoll, which he had for sometime, in for the Herbert... if they sound alike.

;)


I've actually invited LunatiBSW to jam - between the two of us, we have a number of amps that we'd love to hear side by side. To my ear, D-Moll was pretty similar to Herbert with the obvious difference in power/headroom.


Well get to the bottom of this. Hahaha. Me and Dave will do some good a/b between the two. I'll bring the Herbert and he has his dmoll. I personally find them related but it was eye opening to me, when I played them side by side at platinum room in Dallas through the same cab. I'm a complete metal head though. If that makes any difference.


Cool. Maybe make some clips if possible.

My idea of metal is Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, CoB, InFlames... not Dokken, Ratt, EVH... which are cool bands... but not what I'm using my Herbert for lol.
:lol: :LOL:

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Mon, May 08, 2017 10:43pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
LunatiBSW wrote:
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
danburton wrote:
Isnt that what D-Moll is?


No.


From the product section of diezelamplification.com: “D-Moll: Small box – but big sound. Herberts little brother.”


More so in description of features than in true tone for tone sounds. More like cousins if you ask me. Play them side by side, then decide. Don't take my word for it... ask LunatiBSW (posted above) who traded his DMoll, which he had for sometime, in for the Herbert... if they sound alike.

;)


I've actually invited LunatiBSW to jam - between the two of us, we have a number of amps that we'd love to hear side by side. To my ear, D-Moll was pretty similar to Herbert with the obvious difference in power/headroom.


Well get to the bottom of this. Hahaha. Me and Dave will do some good a/b between the two. I'll bring the Herbert and he has his dmoll. I personally find them related but it was eye opening to me, when I played them side by side at platinum room in Dallas through the same cab. I'm a complete metal head though. If that makes any difference.


Cool. Maybe make some clips if possible.

My idea of metal is Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, CoB, InFlames... not Dokken, Ratt, EVH... which are cool bands... but not what I'm using my Herbert for lol.
:lol: :LOL:


At least we agree a lot on metal. :rock:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Mon, May 08, 2017 10:57pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Oct 04, 2009 4:55pm
Posts: 2933
Diezel is already making a number of "small" amps. The Paul and Big Max are low wattage, smaller chassis amps. The Dmoll is another small chassi'd amp that sounds a lot like a Herbert. Yes, it's 100w. Big deal, in today's standards that is not big at all. A 100w tube amp is like a Chevy pickup with a 350 in it, or a 5.3.

I don't know about a Diezel lunch box tiny 20w amp, with Diezel so much of it's tone is built around using a big clean power section capable of delivering that low end and hi fi sound. But with a really small amp already in the lineup like the Big Max and even the Paul, I doubt they would sell well with the type of crowd buying Diezels.

_________________
Rippin' it up on a Squire 3/4 scale and Rage 158!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 12:02am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
RJF wrote:
Diezel is already making a number of "small" amps. The Paul and Big Max are low wattage, smaller chassis amps. The Dmoll is another small chassi'd amp that sounds a lot like a Herbert. Yes, it's 100w. Big deal, in today's standards that is not big at all. A 100w tube amp is like a Chevy pickup with a 350 in it, or a 5.3.

I don't know about a Diezel lunch box tiny 20w amp, with Diezel so much of it's tone is built around using a big clean power section capable of delivering that low end and hi fi sound. But with a really small amp already in the lineup like the Big Max and even the Paul, I doubt they would sell well with the type of crowd buying Diezels.


Have you played a D-Moll or Paul? They're freaking loud. They're not small either. They're not as wide as the Herbert or Hagen from the front, but wider from the sides. They are both high-powered amps. The Paul is 45w, so according to your logic, it couldn't possibly sound as good, but it does. It sounds outstanding and all Diezel tone man.

Didn't Peter post something a few times about a 20w or 25w amp? I think your perception of the Diezel sound is your perception. I think Diezel does the high powered amp thing among the best of the best, but what I appreciate about Diezel amps is the quality of their high gain circuits and their clean tones. Diezels are punchy with lots of low end, maybe too much low end for me. However, they should be able to make a smaller amp and still be punchy, resonant, and with all the Diezel flavor.

Mike Soldano made the Hot Rod 25 which uses 5881/6L6 tubes with full size transformers and rated at 25 watts. That little amp outputs monster tone and it's a lunchbox sized amp. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. If Soldano and others can do it, then Diezel can. Fargen makes a 25w Mini Plex. It's not lunchbox sized, but it's lower powered and sounds as good as the higher powered heads. If Fargen can do it then Diezel can.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 4:38am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Tue, Dec 04, 2012 12:34pm
Posts: 243
Nobody has built a small amp that Sounds like the real deal. If peter does it., he Is the First. Scott henderson was looking for a small amp with a big Sound for quite some time . He simply gave up after a while.

_________________
Peavey 6505
Diezel Lil Fokker
Diezel 412 FL V30
Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 11:37am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Vin Diezel wrote:
Nobody has built a small amp that Sounds like the real deal. If peter does it., he Is the First. Scott henderson was looking for a small amp with a big Sound for quite some time . He simply gave up after a while.


You've never tried a Soldano Hot Rod 25 or Marshall 2525 then. Big sounds, small amp heads.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 6:30pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 63
SavageRiffer wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:
Nobody has built a small amp that Sounds like the real deal. If peter does it., he Is the First. Scott henderson was looking for a small amp with a big Sound for quite some time . He simply gave up after a while.


You've never tried a Soldano Hot Rod 25 or Marshall 2525 then. Big sounds, small amp heads.


I own both of those & I think I disagree with your premise (or at least, what I think I understand your premise to be). They both sound authentic at low volumes (along with the mini Friedman, Boogie, and others Ive had) and mic up well to print nicely to a DAW at bedroom volumes. But neither one captures the glory of its big brother.

Where the big amps pull away from the little ones is when you crank it up and stand across from it. My HR25 sounds kind of like my SLO, but trust me, nobody would mistake which was which if we did a pepsi challenge (blindfold taste test, for those who did not grow up in the US in the 80's) with both amps in the room. It isnt just louder, it's bigger and richer. I dont have a Jubilee reissue but I do have a number of 100 watt marshalls (and clones) and its kinda the same.

You could totally do a recording session and get an authentic Soldano tone with the HR25, and if your band isnt too loud (or mics guitars) you could jam with your buddies but its not the aural bliss that only comes with plugging into the 100 watt SLO and getting it up to about 4.5 (where it opens up).

_________________
Guitars: PRS (x7), Gibson (x8), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x3), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x2), Marshall (x2), Soldano (x2), Bogner (x2), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x2), Voodoo, KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 8:28pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
danburton wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:
Nobody has built a small amp that Sounds like the real deal. If peter does it., he Is the First. Scott henderson was looking for a small amp with a big Sound for quite some time . He simply gave up after a while.


You've never tried a Soldano Hot Rod 25 or Marshall 2525 then. Big sounds, small amp heads.


I own both of those & I think I disagree with your premise (or at least, what I think I understand your premise to be). They both sound authentic at low volumes (along with the mini Friedman, Boogie, and others Ive had) and mic up well to print nicely to a DAW at bedroom volumes. But neither one captures the glory of its big brother.

Where the big amps pull away from the little ones is when you crank it up and stand across from it. My HR25 sounds kind of like my SLO, but trust me, nobody would mistake which was which if we did a pepsi challenge (blindfold taste test, for those who did not grow up in the US in the 80's) with both amps in the room. It isnt just louder, it's bigger and richer. I dont have a Jubilee reissue but I do have a number of 100 watt marshalls (and clones) and its kinda the same.

You could totally do a recording session and get an authentic Soldano tone with the HR25, and if your band isnt too loud (or mics guitars) you could jam with your buddies but its not the aural bliss that only comes with plugging into the 100 watt SLO and getting it up to about 4.5 (where it opens up).


I owned both an HR-25 and a 2012 SLO. Whether it captures the essence of the bigger amp is subjective, but then again, how often do mortals get to crank up an SLO to enjoy all of it's glory? Come on man, I never said they were exact duplicates. There's no denying that they do sound awesome and carry all of the other aforementioned benefits. Anyone who disagrees with that premise is just disagreeing to disagree.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 9:57pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 63
SavageRiffer wrote:
danburton wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:
Nobody has built a small amp that Sounds like the real deal. If peter does it., he Is the First. Scott henderson was looking for a small amp with a big Sound for quite some time . He simply gave up after a while.


You've never tried a Soldano Hot Rod 25 or Marshall 2525 then. Big sounds, small amp heads.


I own both of those & I think I disagree with your premise (or at least, what I think I understand your premise to be). They both sound authentic at low volumes (along with the mini Friedman, Boogie, and others Ive had) and mic up well to print nicely to a DAW at bedroom volumes. But neither one captures the glory of its big brother.

Where the big amps pull away from the little ones is when you crank it up and stand across from it. My HR25 sounds kind of like my SLO, but trust me, nobody would mistake which was which if we did a pepsi challenge (blindfold taste test, for those who did not grow up in the US in the 80's) with both amps in the room. It isnt just louder, it's bigger and richer. I dont have a Jubilee reissue but I do have a number of 100 watt marshalls (and clones) and its kinda the same.

You could totally do a recording session and get an authentic Soldano tone with the HR25, and if your band isnt too loud (or mics guitars) you could jam with your buddies but its not the aural bliss that only comes with plugging into the 100 watt SLO and getting it up to about 4.5 (where it opens up).


I owned both an HR-25 and a 2012 SLO. Whether it captures the essence of the bigger amp is subjective, but then again, how often do mortals get to crank up an SLO to enjoy all of it's glory? Come on man, I never said they were exact duplicates. There's no denying that they do sound awesome and carry all of the other aforementioned benefits. Anyone who disagrees with that premise is just disagreeing to disagree.


The HR25 sounds fantastic - I am one of its biggest fans. I never said the lunchbox style amps dont sound awesome. Ive got a bunch of them (my lunchbox collection was featured on "Amp Porn" last Fall) and think they sound great. I just said they dont sound "big". They dont.

Otherwise I agree 100% - getting to crank up an SLO is a rare privilege and nobody said the HR25 was an exact duplicate.

_________________
Guitars: PRS (x7), Gibson (x8), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x3), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x2), Marshall (x2), Soldano (x2), Bogner (x2), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x2), Voodoo, KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 09, 2017 9:59pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
danburton wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
danburton wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:
Nobody has built a small amp that Sounds like the real deal. If peter does it., he Is the First. Scott henderson was looking for a small amp with a big Sound for quite some time . He simply gave up after a while.


You've never tried a Soldano Hot Rod 25 or Marshall 2525 then. Big sounds, small amp heads.


I own both of those & I think I disagree with your premise (or at least, what I think I understand your premise to be). They both sound authentic at low volumes (along with the mini Friedman, Boogie, and others Ive had) and mic up well to print nicely to a DAW at bedroom volumes. But neither one captures the glory of its big brother.

Where the big amps pull away from the little ones is when you crank it up and stand across from it. My HR25 sounds kind of like my SLO, but trust me, nobody would mistake which was which if we did a pepsi challenge (blindfold taste test, for those who did not grow up in the US in the 80's) with both amps in the room. It isnt just louder, it's bigger and richer. I dont have a Jubilee reissue but I do have a number of 100 watt marshalls (and clones) and its kinda the same.

You could totally do a recording session and get an authentic Soldano tone with the HR25, and if your band isnt too loud (or mics guitars) you could jam with your buddies but its not the aural bliss that only comes with plugging into the 100 watt SLO and getting it up to about 4.5 (where it opens up).


I owned both an HR-25 and a 2012 SLO. Whether it captures the essence of the bigger amp is subjective, but then again, how often do mortals get to crank up an SLO to enjoy all of it's glory? Come on man, I never said they were exact duplicates. There's no denying that they do sound awesome and carry all of the other aforementioned benefits. Anyone who disagrees with that premise is just disagreeing to disagree.


The HR25 sounds fantastic - I am one of its biggest fans. I never said the lunchbox style amps dont sound awesome. Ive got a bunch of them (my lunchbox collection was featured on "Amp Porn" last Fall) and think they sound great. I just said they dont sound "big". They dont.

Otherwise I agree 100% - getting to crank up an SLO is a rare privilege and nobody said the HR25 was an exact duplicate.


Well, to digress a bit, have you tried tube swapping in your HR-25 yet? I've done extensive tube swapping and found it to be pretty effective.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 12, 2017 7:31am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Tue, Dec 04, 2012 12:34pm
Posts: 243
Imho the fryette recording amp Makes Sense if IT Sounds as good as the big ones AT very low Volume. 1 Watt. Bildung an amp With 20 watts and the big transformers is completely useless too me. Such an amp is as heavy, expensive and loud as the real Deal.

_________________
Peavey 6505
Diezel Lil Fokker
Diezel 412 FL V30
Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 12, 2017 7:36am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Tue, Dec 04, 2012 12:34pm
Posts: 243
Even a 5 Watt am is almOst as loud as a 100 watter if you use overdrive. IT is just middy and farty nur loud as hell.

_________________
Peavey 6505
Diezel Lil Fokker
Diezel 412 FL V30
Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 12, 2017 10:15am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jan 21, 2009 4:43pm
Posts: 1367
Location: Rockin a LP in to a Diezel
SavageRiffer wrote:
Well, to digress a bit, have you tried tube swapping in your HR-25 yet? I've done extensive tube swapping and found it to be pretty effective.


I love it. 5 different people in this thread have tried to explain the differences and why a mini-Herbert will not sound the same and just flat-out isn't feasible...

:doh: :doh: :doh:

_________________
Excellent transactions with: sjk (S: Soldano SLO 100), glip22 (S: Gibson Historic LP R7), MrPlexi (S: Suhr PT100), Metalhead (S: PRS SC-250 AP), killertone (S: Diezel Herbert), tlingen (S: Engl SE EL34), fuzzyguitars (S: PRS Tremonti Trem & Gibson Historic LP R8), xzyryabx (S: Engl Savage 120), Devilinside (S: Randall Satan), DarkCide: (S: ESP M-II), Mizati20 (S: PV 6505+), bartmcartman (S: Bogner XTC 101B), thaifoo (S: Engl Savage 120), lester (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12), adrenalinejunky (S: Fryette UltraLead), gbsmusic (S: Fender EVH Wolfgang), savant421 (S: Bogner UberKab 4X12 cab), ams2ek (S: Mills Acoustics 4X12 cab), blastcap (S: Gibson Explorer), braciola (S: PV EVH Wolfgang USA), splawner (S: Wampler Plextortion), mhenson42 (S: Celestion V30 speakers), Gsxrbusa (S: Jackson SL2H), El Mariachi (S: Suhr Koko Boost), and many more.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 12, 2017 8:20pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Wizard of Ozz wrote:
SavageRiffer wrote:
Well, to digress a bit, have you tried tube swapping in your HR-25 yet? I've done extensive tube swapping and found it to be pretty effective.


I love it. 5 different people in this thread have tried to explain the differences and why a mini-Herbert will not sound the same and just flat-out isn't feasible...

:doh: :doh: :doh:


I clearly stated that It wouldn't sound exactly the same. Funny how you continue on ignoring all the facts I laid out. I even posted pictures of the fucking gear. You're narrow-minded, unimaginative, and your reading comprehension is evidently lacking.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sat, May 13, 2017 2:18pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Aug 21, 2009 10:28am
Posts: 565
I really don't get the D-Moll mini thing. It is a 100 watt amp loaded with 4 KT77 and has massive volume on tap. It is also like 23" long. I guess my 19" Mesa Mark III must be a micro amp.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Sat, May 13, 2017 7:55pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Jul 28, 2010 7:53am
Posts: 843
Location: Dallas, TX
I for one think the Soldano HR25 is killer. Had an opportunity to get one in Clapton grey with matching 2x12 cab and I should have. Obviously not exactly an SLO, but pretty dang good.

I'd love to see a Hagen mini. I'd be all over that. I don't know if it is feasible but I'd enjoy the effort!

:-)

_________________
Ron Dodson
Dallas, TX
Romans 9:16
http://www.youtube.com/user/iamrondodson
Friedman BE100, SLO-ish 100
Bogner 2x12 Non-OS (SB M75-65), Bogner Ported 1x12 (SB M75-100), Bogner Ported 1x12 (SB H75-65)
Fender CS '52 Tele, Fender CS '54 60th Anniversary Heavy Relic Strat, Gibson CustShop '64 SG, Charvel Employee Dinky Mutt, several partscasters


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 16, 2017 1:05am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Tue, Dec 04, 2012 12:34pm
Posts: 243
I'm all in if it is a 1 Watt recording amp that is small, lightweight, cheaper and sounds like a real amp.
I still do not get what a 25w amp should really do for a bedroom player.

_________________
Peavey 6505
Diezel Lil Fokker
Diezel 412 FL V30
Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 16, 2017 6:58am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Vin Diezel wrote:
I'm all in if it is a 1 Watt recording amp that is small, lightweight, cheaper and sounds like a real amp.
I still do not get what a 25w amp should really do for a bedroom player.


How many have you checked out? Try a Marshall 2525, Bogner Atma, Soldano Hot Rod 25, or Fargen Mini Plex. Ever play a Marshall SL-5? The SL-5 was a little 1x12 Slash signature combo which had a Vintage 30 speaker and a single EL34. Big tube and iron in a small amp sounds great.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Wed, May 17, 2017 9:19pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Mar 12, 2016 8:07pm
Posts: 1215
Landry is getting in on the action too




Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Fri, May 19, 2017 7:48pm 
Offline
Apprentice NOOB

Joined: Fri, Jun 24, 2016 6:21pm
Posts: 63
Rdodson wrote:
I for one think the Soldano HR25 is killer. Had an opportunity to get one in Clapton grey with matching 2x12 cab and I should have. Obviously not exactly an SLO, but pretty dang good.

I'd love to see a Hagen mini. I'd be all over that. I don't know if it is feasible but I'd enjoy the effort!

:-)


I love my HR25!

_________________
Guitars: PRS (x7), Gibson (x8), Fender (x7), Ibanez (x3), Charvel (x2), EBMM (x2), Dean, Parker & Martin.
Amps: Friedman (x2), Marshall (x2), Soldano (x2), Bogner (x2), Diezel (x2), Mesa (x2), Voodoo, KSR & Ceriatone.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Herbert Mini
PostPosted: Tue, May 23, 2017 3:16am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Tue, Dec 04, 2012 12:34pm
Posts: 243
SavageRiffer wrote:
Vin Diezel wrote:
I'm all in if it is a 1 Watt recording amp that is small, lightweight, cheaper and sounds like a real amp.
I still do not get what a 25w amp should really do for a bedroom player.


How many have you checked out? Try a Marshall 2525, Bogner Atma, Soldano Hot Rod 25, or Fargen Mini Plex. Ever play a Marshall SL-5? The SL-5 was a little 1x12 Slash signature combo which had a Vintage 30 speaker and a single EL34. Big tube and iron in a small amp sounds great.


I had a 20w Hughes & Kettner and a 5 Watt custom built Plexi head. You can get some decent rhythm sounds but single notes on the high strings sound thin.
Ask Scott Henderson. ;)

_________________
Peavey 6505
Diezel Lil Fokker
Diezel 412 FL V30
Diezel 212 FL V30
ESP Horizon NT II
ESP Horizon NT II
USACG Strat Kinmans


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group