Volume and gain drop when using volume pedal.

Volume and gain drop when using volume pedal all the way up.

I am trying to figure out why my Mission VM-1 volume pedal works with my Rockerverb MKIII but not with my Hagen.

When I put the volume pedal after my guitar (see chain below) using my hagen the volume drops, even when the pedal is all the way up, and also my overall gain is cut by about half. If I take the exact same setup and plug it into my Rockerverb MKIII it functions as normal.

If there anything I can try at the amp level to troubleshoot this? I really need to keep the 20' lengths. I move around a lot on stage.

Signal path
Guitar
20' of cable from guitar
Mission volume pedal
Mesa stow away input buffer
Decimator II G-String
Badstone phaser
Hall of fame reverb
Polytune mini
Mesa clearlink send output buffer/line driver
20' of cable to amp

Since it is a passive Volume pedal, I guess the input impedance of the Hagen does not work well together with the pedal.
I think Peter could shine a light.
How does it sound if you use only the volume pedal before the amp?
Try leaving out everything except the voume pedal.

I use a ernie ball volume pedal and do not have any troubles with the Fokker.

My Hagen is at my practice house so I have not had much troubleshooting time. I should think with the input and output buffers that impedance would not be an issue. Although I have not done any real testing. We are practicing tomorrow night so I will done some in depth testing and report back.

Thanks,
Donnie

So after practice I plugged the volume pedal directly into my amp and it did work. I plugged back in before pedals and it had the low volume/gain issue. This setup does work with another amp as it should so I am going to perform some in depth tests this weekend.

All for now.

Yeah, I can stand to use volume pedals for this very reason. The reason you get a drop is because the volume pedal's potentiometer runs the singal to ground through itself (250k ohms, or 500k ohms) even when fully on.

Back