VH4 Troubleshooting

heinz57

So, I Just set up my VH4 after taking a break from it. I get no sound from channels 1 and 2 ... I can get some very FAINT signal out channel 3 and 4. I'm figuring this is a preamp tube issue ... looking at the back of the amp going right to left, any suggestions as to which tubes (#1, #2, #3 etc.) are the likely culprits? No tube seems to glow real bright. Can anyone confirm this is definitely a pre-amp tube gone nutty type of behavior? I don't have a spare, that I can find to switch out. Oddly I seem to just have a few power amp spare tubes in my parts drawer. I'm sure I have a spare 12ax7 somewhere.

I'm thinking I will try taping a pencil on each tube to see if noise is present, I kinda remember a tech giving me that advice once. Any other tips to try and figure out whats the matter? If we are unanimous on it being a preamp tube ...Maybe I will order a new set of preamp tubes ... what's everyone like these days in their VH4? Where is the best place to order from?

Thanks for any help -J

Peter thanks for the follow up. SUCCESS!!! I just installed the new tubes ... It's really sounding FANTASTIC this evening. The clean channel is just so much more ... awesome now. Valve Queen, and krusekontrol offered the same set for the same price.

V1 and V2 are the Ruby AC5 HG+ 678 ... $20 each
the rest V3, V4, V5, V6 & V7 are the HG's. ... $18.00 each

I found a recommended tube sheet for the VH4 in this post ... viewtopic.php?f=49&t=72655#p894112

Back