D-Moll versus VH4

Way different. Dmoll darker, a bit fuzzier, mid cut heaviness. Looser. Dmoll is like herberts nephew. Jahen is like updated modern vh4.

Vh4 is sharper tighter.

Looking for more opinions on this - tried the main forum with no luck.

I have a VH4 but interested in the D Moll, any thoughts appreciated.

Like moltenmetalburn said, I've read the D-Moll is like a smaller Herbert. They're voiced similarly. I've never played one myself.

OK cheers. Surprised he said the Moll was looser, I was sorta expecting tighter and more metal than rock. I should try one for myself, except for that fact that it's utterly impossible.

I've never played a VH4 so I can't comment on that end.

I really like the D-Moll. The clean channel is one of the best I've played from a channel switching amp.

Channels 2 and 3 get into heavy distortion very quickly, but if you crank the MV and channel volumes up a bit, then use the gain knobs as your volume, you can get some reasonable Marshally crunch sounds.

The mid-cut feature is really cool if you want to do the scooped mid thing, but you can actually dial it in as a mid boost if you want for soloing.

For really tight/heavy metal, I recommend using a boost to clean up some of the lower end mud.

tried both. Recently bought a Dmoll. Pretty no brainer for me as I find the Dmoll other than my JVM it’s the most versatile amp I tried.
The only thing I guess a little bit lacking for Dmoll compared with the VH4 is the 3D sound. Personally I think the Dmoll covers it all for me.
the plexi style sound on the Dmoll works really well too.

tried both. Recently bought a Dmoll. Pretty no brainer for me as I find the Dmoll other than my JVM it’s the most versatile amp I tried.
The only thing I guess a little bit lacking for Dmoll compared with the VH4 is the 3D sound. Personally I think the Dmoll covers it all for me.
the plexi style sound on the Dmoll works really well too.
I have a D-Moll and absolutely love it. Looking into getting a JVM410 head. How would you compare them and how much do you like the JVM for metal? Thanks.

I have a D-Moll and absolutely love it. Looking into getting a JVM410 head. How would you compare them and how much do you like the JVM for metal? Thanks
I have a D-Moll and absolutely love it. Looking into getting a JVM410 head. How would you compare them and how much do you like the JVM for metal? Thanks.
the JVM definitely sounded way noisy that the Dmoll. On the 3rd red channel of the JVM, it’s definitely more compressed sounding compared with the Dmoll. But of course the JVM definitely covers the whole spectrum of the Marshall plexi side.

Wow. This is an old thread. So I did actually get a VH4 in the end.

In total I own:

Diezel VH4
Diezel D-Moll
Marshall JVMHJS (The Satriani version)
Orange Rockerverb MKIII
VHT Sig:X

So.... D-Moll versus VH4. They sound quite different from one another, but still within the same family.

D-Moll huge lowend. Works great with an EQ in front to shape how the distortion circuit works. I'd say the amp it's most similar to out of my collection is the Orange Rockerverb MKIII.

The VH4 is a smidge tighter sounding by default. Brighter and glassier too.

Both are very enjoyable to play. Both are very flexible. Both sound amazing.

VH4 -
D-Moll -

In fact out of all of my amps the one that stands out the most as being different is the VHT Sig:X, and not necessarily in a good way. It's a good amp, but it always sounds tight and refined and a bit controlled and polite. Which sometimes is what you need. The others... well... at the core of them, they're hotrodded Marshall type amps aren't they.... they're all good!

You're playing your guitar wrong. You're supposed to pick with your right hand.

/kidding

Glad it worked out for you!

Is the D-Moll close to the Herbert's tones?
Given it's the only other amp in the Diezel family to offer the mid-cut function, and indeed boasts a tremendous low-end, yes, the D-Moll and the Herbert share a lot of similarities.

I opted for the D-Moll over the Herbert, in amongst a few other Diezels, as it just served me right - I didn't need 6 tubes - I didn't need the heft of the Herbert - and the D-Moll offers something my VH4 and Hagen do not. It's by no means a small amp, the D-Moll will fkn slay.

Back