Just got a DMoll and already not happy tonewise

crankyrayhanky":3niehpi0 said:
dag, my DMoll gets tight tight tight with a clean OD boost. I'm guessing something was wrong and I blame GC, lol. Good luck on your gear quest

Got it through Sweetwater. Gonna be honest I was a little miffed that not only was it a 2016 model (so it’s been sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years??) but it also had a layer of dust on the top of the chassis. Now why would there be a layer of dust on a chassis of an amp listed as factory new and NOT a demo model?

Strike one Sweetwater...

Fitrocker33":1fc3j7cp said:
crankyrayhanky":1fc3j7cp said:
dag, my DMoll gets tight tight tight with a clean OD boost. I'm guessing something was wrong and I blame GC, lol. Good luck on your gear quest

Got it through Sweetwater. Gonna be honest I was a little miffed that not only was it a 2016 model (so it’s been sitting on the shelf for almost 2 years??) but it also had a layer of dust on the top of the chassis. Now why would there be a layer of dust on a chassis of an amp listed as factory new and NOT a demo model?

Strike one Sweetwater...

Dude sweetwater just got Diezel recently, blame “Boutique Amps Distro” the USA distributor if anyone.

I love my D-Moll and also would not describe as Fuzzy at all.
Here's the settings I run, maybe that can help you???

Hard to see the Masters but they're at 8:30 and 9:30

Attachments

• IMG_20130913_235321_686.jpg
    IMG_20130913_235321_686.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,765
Please excuse me if this was already mentioned, but what amp did you previously play? I got a VH4 but didn't really play it all that much due to volume issues in my apartment, but I definitely noticed it sounded good. A few months later, I started getting more and more obsessed with guitar gear, especially during my winter break for the holidays when I went back home and just had three weeks of just pure guitar practice.

I ended up buying an EVH 5150 iii combo to keep at my parents house for when I visit for holidays, and loved it. The 5150 iii is actually a really nice amp, especially for the price. When I returned back to where I go to school, I played my VH4 and actually had a hard time enjoying the tone, I started having doubts (7th circle of hell for me...right, and started actually preferring my axe FX 2 tone.

However, I gave it time and really sat there, just dialing in frequencies, getting a feel for the amp, and then purchased an EWS subtle volume control attenuator (great attenuator by the way) to put in my effects loop, and cranked my MV to 11-12. Slowly but surely, the more I went back to my Axe FX, the more I just, felt that I preferred the VH4 more. Your MV is at 9:30, but crank it to 12, it makes a huge difference. Get a volume attenuator if needed.

I know have a high regard to my VH4 now that i'm adjusted to the pure tube amp sound compared to an Axe FX 2.

I thought my VH4 was too loose and I also had the palm muting issues, but that was because my technique had to be dead on. If you palm mute too hard, then you're going to mute the strings...makes sense. Also, try using a boost pedal like a TS808 to tighten things up and get a different flavor for the amp. You have a great and powerful amp as a foundation, and it's just a matter of getting used to.

Also, KT77's are highly recommended, What are your tubes biased at?

Finally, try G12-K100 speakers, I hear they're more tighter on the low end and less fizz on top, which you might be perceiving as loose.

Hey guys I appreciate all your input and I’m sorry if I didn’t say this earlier but I returned the amp about 3 weeks Ago. For whatever reason, no matter what I tried I couldn’t get a single tone I would have been happy with and I can’t afford to pay off 3000 bucks for something I don’t like at least a little bit at first.

The amps build quality was definitely some of the best I’ve ever handled tho. Top shelf feel for sure.

Back