Herbert and Universal Audio Ox

Nemomusic

Hi! I just got the Universal Audio Ox attenuator and was hoping to use it with my beloved Herbert. Ox can however not be used with amps more powerful than 150w rms. I had hoped that i could use it as long as i kept the master volume low. UA support is however very clearly stating that i should not use it with my Herbert at all. So heres my question: Is there any way to reduce Herberts power-rating? I seem to remember that old 100w Marshalls could be reduced to 50w by taking out 2 power tubes. Will something similar work with Herbert?

I agree.

Also the UA OX lacks any speakers models of V30 speakers... which are the best sounding and most ideal speaker for Diezel amps.

Well i agree on that point. I just wanted to be able to try it through the direct recording interface (cab and mic sims) of the Ox. I have tried it on my other amps since i posted the question and it´s really no big deal. It`s good but i don`t think i`ll be using it all that much. I`m an idiot when it comes to the tech-side but i have a problem understanding why The Ox would be damaged if i keep down the master volume. I`ve been playing it on a 2x12 Bogner cab (Vintage 30:s) that i think is 120w for over a decade. But that`s a question for another forum. Case closed:)

Can I get a bump on this?

To answer Peter's question above, I got an Ox because for whatever reason NONE of the engineers I've used in the past year can seem to capture my Herbert perfectly. I'm tired of shelling out just to find out when it's too late that the tone wasn't captured. I've watched a ton of vids of the Ox and it seems to capture the ton of the amp really well.

Anyway - I don't want to sidetrack the discussion into the merits of real micing vs. loadbox recording, I really just want an answer to OP's question. As nemo stated, I've used my Herbert on low-wattage cabs and I kept the master low. No problem. Any issue with the Ox before I fire it up?

nemomusic - did you ever try it on your Herbert, or you stayed away? Thanks!

It seems fine. I just tried it. (Posting this in case someone with the same question finds this thread in the future)

Hi! I didn’t dare to try it and when i made some critical tests of the master-volume i was quite blown away by how good Herbert can sound on really, really low levels. I wasn’t all that impressed by the cab-sims in the OX (compared to the real thing that is) so i haven’t used it with any of my amps no matter wattage. That being said: The cab sims in the OX are superb compared to other cab sims i’Ve tried. I just don’t think any of them stack up to the real thing.
Cheers:)

Back